Search results

1. A

Clearwater, FL woman wants a clothes dryer in 3rd (top floor) condo. (Top of the World)

Yes, an electric dryer needs a dedicated circuit - 30 amp 120/240volts, not 220v If running the circuit on the inside is out of the question then if need be you can run it out from the basement (where I assume the panel is), outside and then up the outside of the building. You have not really...
  2. A

Circular Saw tripping GFCI outlets

Welcome to the forum. :) Please take note of the dates of threads you reply to; this thread is 7 years old. :cool:
  3. A

Odd residential tied-breaker setup for 120v branch circuits

Oh, was not aware of that fact. Thanks for the update - nice to know. Is there a list of the manufacturers that have done this?
  4. A

I'm glad my response helped. I personally am not in favor of MWBCs. Tends to complicate troubleshooting etc. Also, some electricians will utilize a MWBC to save on wire. Instead of running two individual branch circuits of 120v for example: 15 amp 14/2 they have to use two sets of 14/2 cable...
  5. A

More than likely they are MWBCs (Multi Wire Branch Circuits). Do some Googling for a more in depth understanding of how MWBCs work and you will quickly understand why 120v branch circuits for receptacles and lighting are connected to 2 pole breakers. Two individual 120v circuits share the same...
  6. A

I bought a wall light I wanted to operate from a switch but it has a rotary control

Ok, let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck
  7. A

I bought a wall light I wanted to operate from a switch but it has a rotary control

Yes, leaving the on-board switch in the "On" position would be ok. My concern would be that you used the term "cheap" wall lights. I would check to see if they have a "UL" rating marking on them before installing them. Many cheap lights you buy off of Amazon for example are not "UL" rated. If...
  8. A

Can I just disconnect and cover a live junction box?

You are very welcome. Just remember, what ever way you decide to do this do not leave box #2 with live wires (even if connected properly) in the box facing down and then cover with sheet rock etc. All junction boxes must be accessable by code. So if you have attic access that is your best way...
  9. A

Dryer Intermittent No Heat - Dryer or Breaker?

Markon: I missed the fact that the guy was from the management you rent from. Ok, that's on him then. What ever he does is not your liability that I can see. If what you say about when the dryer does not heat the breaker has to be flipped off and then back to on then there is a problem in the...
  10. A

Dryer Intermittent No Heat - Dryer or Breaker?

Most important thing is that since you are renting you can not do anything with the electrical system nor can you have even a licensed electrician do anything without first getting the approval of the owner/landlord. I don't see a problem with putting a meter to the receptacle and the breaker...
  11. A

Can I just disconnect and cover a live junction box?

If #1 feeds #2 and then #3 you can not remove #2 and have a junction of wires in the ceiling without a box. If you can pull a new romex from #1 over to #3 to feed #3 you can abandon old #1 romex to #2 and the same with #2 to #3. You don't have to pull the old wires out, you just need to cap them...
  12. A

Need help half my circuits just went out

Maybe I am not reading this correctly. Fuses? - do you mean breakers? Jumper? What do you mean by a jumper? Are you saying your electrician ran a jumper from the hot leg to the lower voltage leg? If so this will affect any MWBCs you may have. Do you have any MWBCs? If so then both legs of any...
  13. A

Need help half my circuits just went out

Not surge protectors but probably AFCI breakers (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters). Mobile Home? Is this a new installation?
  14. A

3-way switch replacement help

If you use an analog meter (one with a dial and needle) you won't see that phantom voltage
  15. A

3-way switch replacement help

Turbo2: A suggestion. Next time you encounter a 3 way switch before you disconnect the existing wires from it make note and mark the wire coming off of the "common" screw on the existing switch. The "common" screw will either be a different color than the other two screws (not counting the green...
  16. A

No GFI in any upstairs bathroom. House built in 2000

3 possible outcomes for this #1 - Although the receptacles in the bathrooms are not actually GFCI receptacles does not mean they are not protected via GFCI receptacle upstream. #2 - The receptacles may be protected by a GFCI circuit breaker instead of a receptacle. #3 - No GFCI protection for...
  17. A

Outlet not working

Geo422: Is this a built in micro (under cabinet) or a kitchen counter top micro? If you checked ALL!!! GFCIs in the house and tested them and they all work then not a GFCI issue. If this is a built in micro then it should be a dedicated circuit meaning no other receptacle on this circuit just...
  18. A

Outlet not working

Do you have a meter to use if needed? Did you also follow all of my steps in post #4? I am willing to bet it is a tripped GFCI somewhere. Look for all GFCIs no matter where they are and reset them all. With the very tip of your finger press the "test" button and then the "reset" button on all...
  19. A

Outlet not working

If there is no power going to the outlet then swapping out the receptacle will make no difference. But at least you have a new receptacle now. #1 - check to be sure you don't have another breaker panel in the house. I have gone on calls and the home owner did not even know they had another sub...
  20. A

Refrigerator circuit breaker tied to circuit breaker for nearby kitchen outlets. Why?

WorthFlorida Yes, both of you are correct technically. I emphasized the tie bar trip only for the DIYer (OP) as a safety hazard overall. My concern was that many DIYers (home owners) will do something on a temporary basis to bypass an issue and then not correct the issue and leave the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks