Search results

1. BobD777

Geothermal Radiant Heat Unit Won't Run Troubleshooting

Bgard-- You have really made my night (understatement). I've had so much on my plate, and after yet another winter with cold floors, I finally took a few minutes to try your recommendation. I looked up the location of the high-pressure switch in the manual and online and pretty easily located...
  2. BobD777

Replacing Water Heater: A way to test my sweat joints without filling tank?

Concluding this thread... The new heater is installed and working great. The only hiccup is that I had to turn the circuit breaker off, wait 10+ minutes, and then turn it on a few times before it would exit the diagnostic mode and start up the heat pump. And at first glance, it looks like...
  3. BobD777

John or other-- Any problem with a large ceramic tile that would get it off the floor? And is there a problem with it being only 24" wide for a 27" tank diameter? As the pic shows, 1.5" would overhang the tile on either side.
  4. BobD777

John-- That makes so much sense. Don't know why my plumbers didn't do that. Since I'm connecting to existing plumbing, I don't want to raise it too high. So instead of blocks, I'm thinking of using a 1/2" composite, tongue-in-groove siding made into a panel that the unit can sit on top of...
  5. BobD777

Also, I'm installing this in an unfinished basement with no floor drain. The plumbers who installed our current unit did not use a drain pan. Is it recommended or optional?
  6. BobD777

Thanks John for that option. I'm going to assess now and charge ahead.
  7. BobD777

Thanks for that info Jeff. It's exactly the kind of solution I was looking for--partial fill, soapy water test! And as the tank fills, so will the pressure. So I'll keep an eye on it and test it as it fills. I might try unsweating that bottom section in the pic. I'll have the whole piece...
  8. BobD777

Thanks for that input. I have been practicing, but good idea on the garden hose on a closed loop. I thought of desoldering, and practiced on a couple of joints. It just seems like there's more room for error in terms of removing the lumps of old solder, cleaning up the joint, etc. On the other...
  9. BobD777

Hi-- I had an AO Smith heat pump water heater fail and was provided a new unit by AO Smith. It's pretty straightforward since the plumbing is all in place, and the electrical is no problem as I ran that to the original unit. I'm ready to cut out the old unit, and connect the replacement. I've...
  10. BobD777

So the circulator being ruined could itself be the issue. And by working my way through the power operations, I guess that's in the manual's troubleshooting section. I'll take a look. Thank you!
  11. BobD777

Hey Fitter... 2 years later :-O Here's the manual for the unit: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1346419/Earthlinked-Avs-0030-A.html And what do you mean by a full-blown system? I have a bunch of geothermal units that heat various zones in the house with forced air, and I have this one unit...
  12. BobD777

A big "sorry!" to those who responded to this thread, months ago. As life has it, I had to leave this project for a while to deal with big family health issues--which I'm still in the midst of. So the floors remain cold. However, I will hopefully be getting back to this very soon and so...
  13. BobD777

Hey All-- I've got a bunch of Earthlinked DX geothermal units in our house. One of them is a Classic Series that's used for radiant heat in various rooms throughout the house. I love the system, but the company went out of business a couple of years after we did this huge installation--so no...
  14. BobD777

Drip Irrigation without Pressure Reduction?

A belated thank you for the response! It was helpful. I especially like: "I find too many try to make home irrigation into a science. I learned a long time ago all you are doing is dumping water onto the ground. " And great suggestion on adding shutoff valve to reduce/increase pressure. I'll...
  15. BobD777

Drip Irrigation without Pressure Reduction?

I just had a drip system installed to water 9 large green giants, and 4 fruit trees--all on one zone--and planted pretty much in a line. The drip tubing goes around each plant a few times. I looked in the valve box and don't see any kind of pressure reducing valves. Considering our water...
  16. BobD777

Lawn Drains to Drywell OK?

Twenty years with no problems. I can live with that! Do you know if he put the fabric under the top grating, or over the opening in the catch basin leading to the drywell? I think the former sounds a lot easier.
  17. BobD777

Lawn Drains to Drywell OK?

I've got a situation where I need to put in some lawn drains in an area of our lawn where water collects from a nearby slope. We just had a patio installed and then had the whole property graded last year, power raked and finished with topsoil. We also planted lawn. However, we've got a good...
  18. BobD777

Hybrid Hot Water Heater, Thermostatic Mixing Valve, Efficiency

Makes sense. I don't see a calculator...
  19. BobD777

Hybrid Hot Water Heater, Thermostatic Mixing Valve, Efficiency

Until you asked, I didn't know they existed. From what I can see they have a tank that will never leak. That's an appealing trait. So why don't they make a heat pump water heater with a fiberglass tank?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks