Search results

1. dsmith060

Plan for basement bedroom return

I've been working on finishing my basement and am putting some final touches in place before beginning the drywall phase. I realized I should probably run a duct to the new basement bedroom to get some heat in there during the Winter (in Michigan). I'm not as worried about AC since it stays...
  2. dsmith060

Some last miscellaneous basement insulation questions

I'm wrapping up the framing process in my basement finishing project and have a couple quick questions about insulation that I've struggled to find answers for anywhere else -- any help would be appreciated! As some brief context: located in Michigan (climate zone 5) and I've got 2" rigid foam...
  3. dsmith060

Thoughts against notching a joist for a dryer vent exit?

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like it's really not worth cutting into the joist to save a couple feet on the run. I was already planning to better insulate and air seal the joist bay while I had easier access, so I appreciate the tips there. So I'll plan for that and also go with the...
  4. dsmith060

Thoughts against notching a joist for a dryer vent exit?

I'll soon be closing up my basement ceiling with drywall and wanted to replace my dryer vent cover along with the 10" or so line connection. The place where the cover attaches is pretty mangled from a former owner jamming the cover back on, so I want to get a better seal while I still have easy...
  5. dsmith060

Basement fireblocking along joists parallel to wall

On a semi-related note, since this section runs into a corner... any bright ideas on better insulating this space? I'm not sure what use the joist on the 45-degree angle serves, but each corner of the basement is done this way with regular fiberglass batts shoved in there. It's too small of a...
  6. dsmith060

Thanks for the feedback! Yup, I confirmed 3/4" plywood can be used in my township, so no problem there. I hadn't really given mineral wool a lot of thought; plywood seemed to be the most cost effective option (one sheet gets me 48' of fireblock), but that might be the way to go, at least for the...
  7. dsmith060

I'm trying to plan ahead and prepare my vertical fireblocking before attaching my top plate as I frame my basement walls. Basically ripping a sheet of plywood into strips that will butt up to the sill plate and nail into the joists above, then I can just nail my top plate through the fireblock...
  8. dsmith060

Basement: how to best insulate rim joists over air gap?

Thanks for the great info Dana, and sorry to go off the grid for a few days there (baby boy arrived a couple weeks earlier than expected!) Once I can get back to work on this, I'll be sure to cut the foam a bit shorter on that side and address the seam along the gasket as well. I definitely...
  9. dsmith060

One more follow up question: I was taking another look around the rim joists to plan out how to attack this, and ran into one more obstacle on about 1/4 to a 1/3 of what will be finished basement walls (on the far side, away from the brick veneer). I have my main electrical line (going to the...
  10. dsmith060

Thanks again for the very detailed response! Really appreciate all the good information. I think I have a pretty good understanding now, the images were very helpful. I do have one last question on this setup: since I have that much rigid foam in the rim joist, I believe I'd still need to...
  11. dsmith060

Wow, thanks for all the great information and the explanation, Dana! Yes, it looks like the house wrap goes up and around the outside of the rim joist. There is already a second row of weep holes on about half the wall length (the standard one at the bottom, another about a foot from the top)...
  12. dsmith060

Thanks for the detailed reply! I attached a couple more photos from different angles to provide a little more context. The brick just covers the portion of the foundation walls which sit above grade on the back half of the house (which sits on a slight hill), so at maximum it's roughly 5' of...
  13. dsmith060

Hi all, I've been researching across this and other forums for several days now, and while I've found the occasional situation that is similar, nothing seems to provide a clear answer on how to handle this. I'm beginning work on finishing my basement (poured concrete, house built 2011), and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks