Search results

1. ADK_MechETech

Installing basement slop sink questions part 2

I totally understand. I like to use what I have also, I just don't have a bunch of $$$ in copper laying around, lol!. Even just sweating in a ~6" section of copper to your shutoffs (I'm assuming you have ball valves already there?) and transitioning to PEX is easy and convenient. Regardless...
  2. ADK_MechETech

Installing basement slop sink questions part 2

Why not pex? With shutoff valves in-line near the ceiling, you can sweat (or thread) adapters onto the faucet and just crimp on the pex. Far easier than copper either sweat or compression. Much cheaper too assuming you have or can borrow the crimp tool. I was using the copper ring style but...
  3. ADK_MechETech

This doesn't look right, but I think it meets code?

Inspection passed. No findings, nothing to fix, and cleared to cover with sheet rock. Next inspection is final. I've dealt with this inspector before and he is good to deal with. He didn't even verify my pressure test.....
  4. ADK_MechETech

Thank you for the warning. I know of the danger and understand the risks. It's all 2" sch40 and not much total length (volume). At 5psi, while there is a significant amount of stored energy there, it's not a bomb. I'm also not going to be going around whacking any of the pipes with a hammer...
  5. ADK_MechETech

Yep, I found a test gauge setup at the home desperate. Not all that low, but maxes out at like 15psi. I've got a spray bottle with soapy water I was using to spray down all the joints. Pretty much everything checked out already except the sump, obviously.
  6. ADK_MechETech

I finally got ahold of the inspector on the phone yesterday. He is fine (in my situation) testing with air. Code requires water, but it is more critical when there is plumbing below the slab. Since I have very minimal plumbing and it is all accessible he is good with isolating the basin and...
  7. ADK_MechETech

Well, the inspector hasn't responded to my last two questions, so I am just going to leave out the sink for now. I put valves on all 3 connections to the basin so I can isolate it. When he comes for the inspection he can decide how he wants to test it.
  8. ADK_MechETech

Ok, so here's another dumb question..... The inspector wants a 10' water column test of the DWV system. He said to cap off the pump discharge (I have a valve), and I assumed to also leave the vent tie-in on the 1st floor open to fill with water. Fine. I have all the plumbing done to that...
  9. ADK_MechETech

Good info. I had originally started this thinking we were under UPC here. I believe the change occurred between 2000 and 2003, but I have yet to locate any relevant information on why the change was proposed. I'm still working my google-fu to track something down. You have me curious now...
  10. ADK_MechETech

That was my first thought, and the inspector said it was OK "if allowed by the manufacturer". Unfortunately it is not. As I mentioned, one port must be dedicated to ventIng only. I also expect that arrangement would work fine since I don't know how I could ever fill a 2" pipe completely...
  11. ADK_MechETech

The inspector says it must be transitioned to 3" per IPC 406.2. This is not possible for reasons stated above. Liberty says that one port must be a a dedicated vent. So it seems there is no way you could ever use one of these to serve anything other than a washer unless you discharge to a...
  12. ADK_MechETech

The issue is, I have no use, desire, or room to put a laundry sink next to the washing machine. The utility sink will be in a separate space and serve a workshop area. This particular pump was recommended to me by members here and is capable of passing up to 3/8" solids (supposedly). I'm sure...
  13. ADK_MechETech

Circling back around on this as it just came to my attention that under IPC (where I am) when the Laundry joins another branch it must be increased to 3". That is not possible here, and would be another code violation as the inlet to the liberty is only 2" as it is. There is literally less...
  14. ADK_MechETech

Hah, no worries. Unions everywhere for serviceability just in case!
  15. ADK_MechETech

Thank you, yes drains have 1/4" per foot slope. I am tying into a 1st floor vent that is relatively convenient above flood line of the highest fixture. That vent goes to a 3" stack through the roof, which should also be good. That one vent only serves a shower on the 1st floor which shouldn't...
  16. ADK_MechETech

I'm semi-finishing my basement and there will be a clothes washer and utility sink draining into a liberty 404 sump. Washer is no problem, but where the pump and sink are located are close quarters. I have verified clearances for my boiler and I have plenty of room. What I dry fit is a...
  17. ADK_MechETech

Fixing a poorly executed sump pit....

Well, it isn't exactly what I wanted it to end up, but it is definitely better than it was before. The basin is sitting in about 3" of standing water, and about 3" above the finished slab. Once it is all set up, I will drill some holes. There wasn't much more I could do with it, but I think...
  18. ADK_MechETech

Well, I didn't get so lucky this morning. All the posts went in fairly well, but once I started digging, I came to a screeching halt at about 15". There's rock, or ledge of some kind in there and the hole is not getting any deeper. Unfortunately, for the Jackel sump basin I have, it needs to...
  19. ADK_MechETech

That comment was referencing shokcrete. I will use whatever the installation instructions say for the basin which I believe is 1/2"-3/4" rounded gravel.
  20. ADK_MechETech

Definitely an option if it was on a larger scale, but would defeat the purpose of putting the sump basin in. At a minimum, I would have to break up that concrete to allow water in if it was ever necessary.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks