Search results

1. Scott Baxla

T & P valve on water heater blowing

Thanks everyone for all of your comments. The issue seems to be resolved. It was the PRV. Seems crazy that the a city supply is over 150psi - that could do some damage. My confusion mostly revolved around having installed a new gauge just after the PRV, specifically to monitor what it was...
  2. Scott Baxla

I think that red handle you are referring to is at the PRV. There are also red handles at the Water heater, but in either case, closing either of those valves will take the water heater out of the picture. We've not tried the one at the PRV valve yet, only the other one by the water heater -...
  3. Scott Baxla

Recommendations on a quality pressure gauge (1/4" pipe thread)?
  4. Scott Baxla

Thanks Fitter30. That confirms that the expansion tank should be adequate, so our issue is somewhere else, and I think we're zeroing in on the PRV.
  5. Scott Baxla

Thanks Terry. This is reinforcement that its our PRV. I'm not a plumber but I'll be the one replacing it. I've actually done all the work on replacing all of the supply and drain in her house - significant experience for a DIY'er but not plumber level.
  6. Scott Baxla

Thanks Reach4. Maybe the gunk is diaphram material. When I screwed the fitting off the top of the old expansion tank it had a black crust in it - I thought the crusty nature seemed manganese like, but I'm not familiar enough to know, I've just heard manganese is black. And it doesn't seem...
  7. Scott Baxla

Thanks for joining the threa Fitter 30. I've attached pics of 1) the PRV/gauge/filter at incoming water line to the house, 2) the plumbing configuration at the water heater, 3) the temp setting at just over 125 ( she has a toddler granddaughter that she doesn't want to risk scalding), and 4)...
  8. Scott Baxla

Thanks for checking in jadnashua. I'm not seeing evidence that the PRV is leaking. The gauge I just installed on the house side of the PRV has never risen above 50 psi. The 300psi is just the number on the side of the PRV as the max incoming pressure for this PRV - not what the incoming city...
  9. Scott Baxla

A friend's water system has been working fine for at least 10 years. This week the T & P valve on the hot water heater started leaking. (Mounted on the top of the tank - don't have to drain tank to replace it.) My first suspicion was bad T & P release valve, so I replaced it. The new one did...
  10. Scott Baxla

Water treatment system for open tank feed into pressure system.

I’m needing to treat the water from my well and looking for advice on how to do that. This is a little long winded: I’m attempting to present as clear of a picture as I can from my novice experience level. I’m wanting to use the well in a “temporary” water supply system. I need to pump from...
  11. Scott Baxla

Unusual 1920's tub fill spout

Thanks for staying with this Reach. I was thinking the spring loaded check valve should work too. (and certainly turning valves off when not filling the tub) And still considering "unicorn events" of something like power failure, simultaneous with another opening in the system to relieve the...
  12. Scott Baxla

Clawfoot tub as drop in w/ shower?

Thanks for chiming in DIY (and for your post on the fill spout on the other thread!). I working in a pretty tight space, so a big luxurious layout is not really an option here (wet room). My wet room will be 36" x 60" with a curb and shower door - stand alone shower/tub, not actually even a...
  13. Scott Baxla

Thanks DIY & Terry. This will be a new installation, so I'll have to look into the vacuum breaker option to see how that works. I was thinking spring loaded check valve, and had never heard of a vacuum breaker. I do want to be safe. I'm way into "healthy home" issues and clean water supply...
  14. Scott Baxla

Thanks Reach! I'll look into the vacuum breaker. Never heard of it, but I'm picturing the function. This would be a new install of an antique 48" clawfoot tub that is not being inspected, so legality is not an issue, but I would want it to be safe. Meanwhile, I'm trying to identify and...
  15. Scott Baxla

I've now got another picture that shows the brand name on the mix valve to be Speakman.
  16. Scott Baxla

Thanks HJ & Reach. I had not even considered back siphoning. Would a check valve on the supply side take care of that? (similar to what we have to put on exterior hose spigots)
  17. Scott Baxla

Has anyone seen a tub fill spout like this? (pics below). Its very unusual in a few ways - very low profile and no sharp edges & the water in the tub can be filled to the rim of the tub (fill spout submerged) since the spout blocks the overflow and somehow sealed. (I've taken a deep bath in...
  18. Scott Baxla

Clawfoot tub as drop in w/ shower?

Has anyone seen this done? Using the claw foot tub as a drop in does not seem like a difficult task, but adding a shower introduces a drainage issue. The tub lip will be above the deck its mounted in and the shower will fill the space around the tub rim w/ water - so... how to drain that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks