Search results

1. Heyjoe

Watts LF N45M1 PRV

This PRV 3/4 inch 25 -75 psi doesn’t appear to have the quality of my old Watts 25 AUB. How long should I expect it to last reducing 110 psi to 50psi. It’s installed and I am already having second thoughts.
  2. Heyjoe

Pressure reducing valve

I just discovered that my home PRV has failed.Should I turn off my water until it’s fixed. I had a toilet supply line fail and it didn’t seem right. so I checked the water pressure. The pressure is 110 Psi and everything is copper pipe, The PRV valve, well out of sight out of mind. I should...
  3. Heyjoe

Where’s the Water

When I pressurized my COLD boiler to 25 psi and isolate it by shutting off all the valves the pressure drops to zero. In an hour it dropped about 10 psi. Why don’t I see water water dripping on the burner tubes since it’s cold? When a boiler heat exchanger leaks how does that cause the...
  4. Heyjoe

Aquastat setting

How do you determine the differential setting I know my aquastat choices are 5 10 20 and 30 degrees. What is the determining factor? Is there a relationship between high temperatures and low? The bigger the drop the less cycling the boiler would do, but what are the pros an cons?
  5. Heyjoe

Pressure loss in closed system

I have been looking for a reason for a pressure rise during heating, now I see that when the system cools the pressure goes to zero. I added another gauge to make sure. It seems to me for a system to lose pressure it must have a leak. I can see where a leak in a radiant floor system cold be...
  6. Heyjoe

Radiant floor systems

I was surfing the net looking at plumbing sites and I couldn’t help but notice that in 25 years radiant floor systems seem to have a lot more bells and whistles. It’s like comparing Wilbur wrights plane to a Boeing 747. It was expensive back in the day, I can’t imagine the cost today.
  7. Heyjoe

Jack of all Trades

One nice thing about be a “jack of all trades” and master of none is that you get to do things two or three times before it works.:);):(
  8. Heyjoe

Buffer tanks

Are buffer tanks the answer for oversized low mass boilers?
  9. Heyjoe

Boiler mixing valves

I looked through the old posts, but didn’t find an answer. I have a boilermate (indirect water heater) zone that wants 180 degree water. I have 6 baseboard convection heaters that want 180 degree water, then I have a radiant floor system with 5 zones that want 140 degree water. So, how does a...
  10. Heyjoe

4th Amtrol Boilermate

It looks like I will be putting in my fourth boilmater in 25 years. The first tank developed a pin hole leak after 17 years,the second lasted 3 years before it stared leak around it’s base.Now, the third one lasting 5 years seems to have a hole in the heating coil in the indirect tank.It does...
  11. Heyjoe

On-line plumbing supplies

What are a couple of good plumbing stores on line ? What about Zoro.
  12. Heyjoe

Thermostats

What’s your opinion of the Nest learning thermostats. My thermostats aren’t very responsive, for example if I set it at 68 when it drops to 67 it still takes awhile “to make the call” time is of the essence.What thermostat would you use? Nest aren’t exactly cheap, but I do like the idea of...
  13. Heyjoe

What is the connection used for

What is the garden hose connection used for,the blue spigot, it’s coming out of the main supply pipe?
  14. Heyjoe

Expansion tank, up side down

Why do some folks install their expansion tanks up side down? Surely if they were designed to be hung that way the labels would be printed to be read in that position.
  15. Heyjoe

Ball valves on boiler

Is there a reason not to place a valve between the air eliminator pipe and the expansion tank? Do they even make a ball valve with a spigot.A plain ball valve wouldn’t help.Something to control the water in the expansion tank before you unscrew it.I thought bleeding the air out of the tank...
  16. Heyjoe

Tridicator

My gauge shows pressure and temperature, so why does a plumber call it a tridicator? Did gauges in years gone by show a third measurement?
  17. Heyjoe

Amtrol vs pro select expansion tanks.

I’ve heard plumbers complaining about how many amtrol tanks they are replacing, is there a better choice? Any experience with pro select?
  18. Heyjoe

Increased pressure at boiler. So what’s going on?

Burnham’s boiler manual says there are only three things that cause increased pressure,and that’s what I see posted all over the internet. So what’s going on? They don’t mention the boilers heat exchanger, old pumps,air eliminators,water velocity, water temperature, heat limit setting, old...
  19. Heyjoe

Expansion tank size

Like I mentioned in another post I have. #30 extro tank and it doesn’t handle the pressure.Would it solve the problem to go to a #60. PS. I changed to a #60 and I have my fingers crossed, but it appears to keep the PRV from releasing water.
  20. Heyjoe

Spirovent air eliminator

I noticed that a few years someone had issues with their spirovent being clogged. Unfortunately the author of the post didn’t share how one would take it apart. Anyone know? I guess the top just unscrews, anything I should be aware of before unscrewing? It looks like the only way to isolate it...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks