Search results

1. RapaNui

Acrylic Shower Pan Ever Silent?

Hi all, I last week I installed my shower pan (Dreamline Slimline 30" x 60") in a bed of Quickcrete Mortar following manufacturers instructions. I placed down tar paper on the plywood flooring and used the entire 60 lb bag, spreading it evenly across where the base of the pan would be set...
  2. RapaNui

Opened Vent to Inspect Smell, its Wood!?

Hey everybody, here's something I didn't expect. I opened a vent in the bedroom, because it's had a bit of a smell. It comes and goes. Stuck my phone in to take a photo and realized its wood! The bottom of the image is actually the metal duct work. I can't seem to find any opening around...
  3. RapaNui

Load Bearing Wall - Easy Determination?

I'm definitely on the edge of certainty, but I decided to go back up and take a look where the trusses meet the wall's top plate. I was looking for some spacing between them, but unfortunately, they are in direct contact and nailed together with a single nail (photos attached). From was I've...
  4. RapaNui

Load Bearing Wall - Easy Determination?

Hi all, I've contacted several structural engineers over the past few weeks to determine whether a wall is load-bearing, but no one has gotten back to me. We're looking to remove a section of a wall separating our kitchen and living room. We would leave the header in place and there would be...
  5. RapaNui

Downstairs Toilet Bubble Explosion, Floor Drain Overflows -No Apparent Clog in Plumbing or Vent Pipe

I just want to thank everyone for their help. Had the cleanout access point inspected by camera this morning and it turns out there were roots in main drain line. The crazy thing was they were located in the middle of the house. I'm optimistic removing them will solve the issue. Cheers!
  6. RapaNui

Downstairs Toilet Bubble Explosion, Floor Drain Overflows -No Apparent Clog in Plumbing or Vent Pipe

Hi all, So I removed the toilet and snaked down the line with a 50ft 1/2" auger. No luck. A couple of weeks later our basement floor drain overflowed again when the shower was running upstairs. I did add a second Studor to the back of the basement vanity <3ft from the bubbling toilet. No...
  7. RapaNui

Thanks Terry! I really appreciate the diagram. It would be nice to have a set of x-ray goggles or blueprints. I think what I'm going to try now is snake the toilet and see if that clears anything up. If it doesn't, I may call it quits and just live with it.
  8. RapaNui

Thanks Sylvan! If you think it's a slight blockage, do you have any guesses where it would be? Downstream the basement toilet, but in upstream the floor drain? It's strange for me to think why the toilet/upstairs shower would have the ability to overflow the basement floor vent if that's...
  9. RapaNui

Thanks for your reply! Would you recommend a second studor vent? Perhaps on the upstairs bathroom sink? Or would that not help...
  10. RapaNui

Hi all, This past Summer we purchased our first house, a split-level from the 1960's. With this purchase we had the sewer line inspected by camera and cleaned a couple months after we moved in. Since we've had the house, the basement toilet splashes when upstairs toilet is flushed. These...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks