Search results

1. Jotun

Insulating wall cavity with 1.5" steel studs

I am remodeling my basement and have a wall where I needed a total width of 4" to match an existing stone faced wall. The rest of the basement is 2.5" EPS foam with standard studs, and .5" foam on the floor (and Advantech subfloor). For this shallow area I was able to match the existing wall...
  2. Jotun

Sill plate insulation question

Yes, there is a sill gasket under the sill plate (at least in the areas I have been able to access so far, so hopefully everywhere) Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to my picture, with the gap being the top of the foundation and front of the sill plate, where the wire...
  3. Jotun

Sill plate insulation question

I am finally getting underway on my basement remodel, and I'm not sure how to go about dealing with the exposed top of the concrete exterior walls in some areas. I have 2.5" EPS foam for insulating the rim joists, and am 1" and 1.5" EPS to do two layers for a total of 2.5" on the walls as well...
  4. Jotun

Another foam over concrete slab floor question

I'm looking to do something similar with .5" EPS... could you give us an update with what you went with and how it turned out?
  5. Jotun

Basement wall insulation question

Thanks so much. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your time and insight. I hope some others can get some good info from my situation as well!
  6. Jotun

Dana, thanks again for your reply. Since posting, I have decided that it might be worth removing the stud walls after all. The time I would take cutting down foam board to fit between the stud bays just isn't worth it when I could spend that time moving the walls. We plan on being in this...
  7. Jotun

I've been reading a lot of threads on basement insulation and would like some guidance/clarification. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with information and different methods I've seen used. I'm in the process of remodeling my basement (in Maryland), and none of the basement walls are insulated...
  8. Jotun

Best thin basement subfloor?

Thanks Dana, I was hoping it wouldn't be too big of an issue to leave that area of tile alone. I'm disappointed that the prior owner didn't insulate the basement when the rest of the house is so nice, but I think this will all be worth the effort. Thanks again for your input!
  9. Jotun

Thanks again, I will check the vapor barrier before I get started. It looks like 1/2" EPS and 3/4" OSB is going to be my plan, because with the carpet I plan on using I won't quite be able to do 1/2" EPS and 1" of subfloor everywhere. One other question for now... there is an area of tile...
  10. Jotun

First of all thank you so much for the detailed response. I was hoping you would reply after reading some of your other reponses! I may not have done the best job explaining the flooring situation in detail so here's a bit more info. My total budget in height is 2" so it sounds like I can...
  11. Jotun

Hi everyone, I live in Maryland, and am wondering what my best option for insulating the basement floor is. The basement slab had carpet padding directly on the slab, with berber carpet on top totalling 3/4". In one area I will keep it carpet (new carpet when this is all done), but most of the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks