Search results

1. Stereo

How to drain furnace effluent

I'm remodeling a bathroom and am having to redo all the drain lines. The effluent (pH ~5) from the 25-year-old condensing furnace was formerly pumped into a single unvented trap that was added by an ignorant do-it-yourselfer (who shall not be named :p) to a drain line downstream from other...
  2. Stereo

Ho to reduce rushing water noise

We run soaker hoses for up to an hour to water our landscape. We barely turn on the outdoor pressure to keep the flow volume low through the rubber hoses. The sound of the running water is quite loud in the house. It may chiefly be due to the noise at the outdoor spigots carrying back through...
  3. Stereo

Studor recessed box - correct solvent?

I'll be using a Studor recessed box to mount an AAV to ABS pipe inside a wall. The directions say the box can be connected to either PVC or ABS using the "appropriate" solvent. Since the box is white plastic, I I am doubting that I can use ABS solvent. I called IPC who makes the valve box and...
  4. Stereo

Vent check

I'm a little iffy on the venting of the toilets in a back-to-back 3/4 bath rebuild because of the combination of vertical and horizontal attachments to a horizontal drain line. The photo shows a VERY simplistic drawing of the layout. I have two toilets entering the horizontal drain horizontally...
  5. Stereo

Offset p-trap OK?

I have a couple of obstructions I need to work around to connect a new shower to the horizontal drain line so I need to offset the P-trap. The shower is a guest shower and will only rarely be used so I don't anticipate issues with a buildup of odor due to accumulation of debris and I'll make...
  6. Stereo

Code interpretation - Change of direction

The 2018 IPC Section 708.1.4 states, in part, that when a 2" horizontal drainage pipe has a change of direction greater than 45 degrees, a cleanout is required. If I make a 90-degree turn using two 45's, do I still need a cleanout? The distance between the 45-degree fittings would only be about...
  7. Stereo

Register location

I am adding a return-air duct to a bedroom that didn't have one. Due to space constraints and underlying beams and foundation, there's only one place I can put the intake (marked by the X on the drawing). The best place for the heating register (there's no AC) would be directly opposite the...
  8. Stereo

How to connect 2 rigid ducts - no give

I am remodeling and need to reroute a duct. The furnace exit and the register will remain in place and I don't think I'll have enough give between the two sections to get a fitting in. Is the best way to connect two rigid pipes to use a short section of flex duct? Or are there slip joints for 6"...
  9. Stereo

Drywall mesh tape OK for duct sealing with mastic?

For larger holes in HVAC ductwork, mesh tape is called for. I have plenty of fiberglass mesh tape for drywalling. Is that OK to use, or does the mesh tape have to be HVAC-specific? The HVAC tape is not readily available locally at the retail level.
  10. Stereo

Most efficient supplemental heat?

I am isolating a couple rooms of my house for an apartment. Our day-living space is mostly on the south. The 140 sq ft main room of the apartment will be on the northeast corner. It has one dedicated 6" heating duct from a gas-fired 90% efficient furnace. (We don't have AC.) The future apt. room...
  11. Stereo

OK to switch supply runs?

I'm re-configuring a room and will be moving the register location slightly. Currently, I have two supply ducts that come off the main plenum right next to each other. To gain some headroom in the crawl space, rather than crossing the duct to Room 1 over the duct to Room 2, I'd like to switch...
  12. Stereo

Low sidewall vs. floor register

I live in a mixed heating/cooling climate but we only have heating in our forced air system, no AC. I need to move the supply duct for a 4.5’ x 8.5’ 3/4 bathroom. (Those are the room dimensions, not the open floor area.) Because of limited floor space, I would prefer to put the supply register...
  13. Stereo

Return air challenge

I need to add return air to one of two rooms currently without return air. Each room has a single dedicated 6" heating duct. I only need one return air duct; I'll connect the two rooms with a pass-through grill in the common wall. The home is about 100 years old and was added on to bit by bit...
  14. Stereo

Splitting forced-air ducts

I am reconfiguring some rooms in my house, not adding any square footage. My forced air furnace was installed in 1995. I’m quite sure they didn’t use any calcs back then to figure out the proper duct runs, even though I gave them all the information but they would have needed for the...
  15. Stereo

Drainage fittings - reducers vs.bushings

I have a vertical ABS drain pipe section that starts at 2 inches and feeds into a 3 inch section. Ideally, this would occur with the correct sanitary tee fitting, but I don’t have a local source for the necessary outlet configuration/sizes. So to keep the amount of room used to a minimum, I’d...
  16. Stereo

Double 3/4 bath venting double-check

I am remodeling to create two new back-to-back 3/4 baths (though the same-type fixtures are not back to back). I have been unable to grasp horizontal wet vents so I've changed up my layout to incorporate traditional venting. I know my pipe sizes so I haven't listed those, but I would greatly...
  17. Stereo

Horizontal wet vent

Regarding horizontal wet venting, the 2018 IRC P3108.1. says, in part, “Each fixture drain show connect horizontally to the horizontal branch being wet vented OR shall have a dry vent.” Can the drain of a lavatory downstream of the start of a horizontal wet vent (with additional fixtures...
  18. Stereo

Please check my plumbing plan

I would appreciate a double-check of my plumbing schematic (see crude drawing) for the addition of two 3/4 baths with a common wall. I need to keep the upper portion of the horizontal drain closer to the joists to clear a hot water heater vent connector but I then need to drop the branch to...
  19. Stereo

Vertical drop of a horizontal wet vent waste line

Our code is 2018 IRC. I am remodeling to add two back-to-back bathrooms which will drain and vent through a straight horizontal wet vent/drain. I am clear about all the requirements/restrictions except one. Can I drop the horizontal vent/drain vertically? The line will, of course, drop 1/4” per...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks