Search results

1. Russell Harris

Made mistake - plumber's putty on ABS tub drain threads - fix advice

So back in July last year (2022) I installed an American Standard deep soak bath drain. I was in a hurry as we were trying to get walls closed up in the baths. I now realize that the drain assembly was ABS. Don't know why I thought it wasn't as it was black. Anyway I used the Stain-Free Oatey...
  2. Russell Harris

Opinion on shower pan build

Hello, Looking for some opinions on my re-done shower pan. I had a custom fiberglass shower pan installed last week and the initial pan had a pinhole and failed the water test. Water seeped under the fiberglass. So the installer cut out the bottom of the pan, dried out the mortar base and then...
  3. Russell Harris

Nick in threads, would you use it?

Hello, wanted to get the group advice on this brass Flashshield+ 1/2" fitting. There's two small nicks I just noticed in the next to last two male threads. I'll be attaching it to a black iron tee 1/2" . Are these nicks anything to worry about? I usually use 4/5 wraps of Blue monster tape and a...
  4. Russell Harris

Conditioned space conduit for main water line in attic?

Ok, I don't know if this is classic overthinking but I've got an idea. Here's the background/problem. I'm re-piping an 80s ranch in Central TX and using Uponor throughout. Attic is now the pathway. The house will have a conditioned space attic, so foam on all the under roof decking and gables...
  5. Russell Harris

Tub/shower to Shower conversion - before I dig

Hello, a few questions and some advice on this tub/shower to shower conversion. I'm installing a Woodbridge (Home Depot) pan with a linear drain. I'll have only one shower head and it will be low flow. The pan is a 36" wide so the drain is offset (roughly red circle in photo) a bit from existing...
  6. Russell Harris

Moving toilet - tie in and vent - before I cut the slab

Hello, I'm in the process of a bathroom remodel where I am moving the main bath toilet. I'd like to tie into the drain at the guest bath toilet which is 5' 8" to the right. This is a septic system so let's assume the toilet drains are 4" (I'll find out when I bust it out). From the center of the...
  7. Russell Harris

1950 Wet vent remodel options?

Hello, I have a 1952 cast iron drain setup for a hall bath that uses a wet vent from the lavatory for the tub. In the picture below, you can see that the lav drain runs about 3ft back towards the tub then turns back into the 2" drain that is running from the tub. The cast iron is failing and...
  8. Russell Harris

Use a T fitting or home run - 1/2 hot water

Hi, I need some advice on a hot water Pex-A run to a second bath. I've got a 3/4" copper to 3/4" PEX-A transition which then goes into a 3/4" flow through EP manifold. The 3/4" line continues on to an addition that is 3/4" copper. Off the manifold I would have these hot water 1/2" runs: -...
  9. Russell Harris

PEX-A in unconditioned crawl space

Hello, I'm about to start work on the re-piping for a 1952 ranch built on pier and beam in Central Texas. I'll be using PEX-A pipe and expansion fittings/manifolds. The question regards insulation of the PEX piping. In the code for City of Austin, it mentions that supply 'piping' in an...
  10. Russell Harris

Verify cold water design

Hello, I'm looking for input/suggestions on changing out both cold and hot lines in my 1952 pier and beam house. This post mainly deals with the cold water as that is where I need to start given my service entrance. - 3/4" copper from meter to old galvanized as it enters the house (pic) - I'm...
  11. Russell Harris

Water heater closet - outside door

Hello, I am going to be replacing my 20 year old 75 gallon heater with a new 50-55 gallon heater. In reading specifications on the new heaters, I noticed that they often talk about the operating temp not being below 40 degrees or at least not in a location that freezes. I get the freezing I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks