Search results

1. Dave Millman

Grounding question: Honda eu7000is generator connected through PG&E backup power transfer meter

Wayne, Thank you for the detailed reply @wwhitney ! I will absolutely test that...next time the power goes out. I can test my generator, but there's no way to simulate a power outage to test the switch. The PG&E installer (very sharp guy with a truckload of these meters he was installing)...
  2. Dave Millman

Grounding question: Honda eu7000is generator connected through PG&E backup power transfer meter

Earlier this year PG&E installed a free backup power transfer meter at our California property (info sheet here). Using the L14-30P cable they supplied, it connects our Honda eu7000is inverter generator (manual) to power the whole house. Overall it works well. We have noticed some odd behavior...
  3. Dave Millman

Furnace on generator throwing error code

The furnaces that I've worked on here in Northern California (6-7 furnaces over 30 years) have all been powered by 120V, using a cord plugged into a standard outlet. These were all natural gas or propane furnaces in single family residences. I haven't seen a boiler since I managed an apartment...
  4. Dave Millman

That's a great idea, and a very educational post. Thanks Wayne!
  5. Dave Millman

The furnace is plugged into the generator using a 12-ga extension cord. No transfer switch, no connection to home electrical panel. When the power goes out, we play "extension cord musical chairs."
  6. Dave Millman

Thank you everyone for your replies! I've learned a lot more about generators in the last few days, especially from your posts but also YouTube (good and bad). Here's an update: @WorthFlorida provided a manual for the EU2200i. The manual for my older Honda EU2000i generator is not nearly as...
  7. Dave Millman

I've read some previous threads on generator grounding: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/grounding-2000w-inverter-generator.42656/ https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/grounding-a-honda-eu3000is-generator.78435/ My situation is a bit different: We use a portable Honda...
  8. Dave Millman

Copper, should I replace these joints or what? Signs of a rookie plumber

All that corrosion at the joints is caused by leftover flux, as Jim DeBruycker said. Next you can expect pinhole leaks in those corroded areas. My pro plumber cleans the copper bright before soldering, then cleans it just as bright afterwards. He can do several joints per hour, including cutting...
  9. Dave Millman

Replacing old galvanized steel plumbing with PEX

So I had a great local plumber replace galvanized with PEX five years ago. All the pipes they cut out were filled with corrosion like in Tuttle's photo. We chose to route the PEX like the old galvanized pipes. Soon thereafter, the gas water heater failed. It was a decent Bradford White, still...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks