Search results

1. Gencon

Does this dishwasher drainline need to be changed?

The problem I see, other than the obvious, is that a dishwashe drain line is required to go up at least 20" before connecting to its termination. Is there a way to run this line through the back of a cabinet somewhere? The big box stores carry a heavy rubber type hose sold as "dishwasher...
  2. Gencon

Bathroom vent into a chimney?

It can be done. Use ridgid pipe, nothing flexible. Insulate the pipe with a sleeved insulation. This insulation has a plastic vapour barrier over it. The insulation must be continuous from the termination point to 5' inside the building envelope. The duct must be sealed as well as the VB and...
  3. Gencon

Gas Pipe for New stove wont fit

That sounds like a really odd set up. Most range connections are near the floor. The pipe should be relocated to the space behind the ranges drawer, and have a shut off and a flexible connection. Is there access to this pipe from under the floor? It could be reworked to come from underneath...
  4. Gencon

Improving water pressure

A foot valve would be installed at the bottom of the draw pipe. If this foot valve is leaking, it will siphon water back out of the system. Or there may be a leak in the pie between the pump and the base of the draw pipe. As for pressure, 55 lbs at the tank really should be enough. The pump...
  5. Gencon

Goofy Hot Water Heater Setup...

Its an automatic shutoff valve. If the PT valve goes off, it will shut off the gas to the appliance. This will eventually let the owners know that something is wrong because there will be no hot water.
  6. Gencon

Floor Drain Primers

Agreed. Where is the primer being fed from, the laundry faucet? That dry trap can allow poisonous gasses into your house, and some really stink.
  7. Gencon

Tub surround question

Yes, tub goes in first. Connect the waste and overflow then do the board. Use a VB on outside walls only. The green board will not overlap the flange of the tub. Before the panels go on, fill this gap with silicone. The panel will go to the tub surface. This makes for a nice, thick seal.
  8. Gencon

Bathroom Vent Question

The closer to the roof, the better. Roof caps are available that have backdraft dampers in them. Most fans have them as well. This will prevent the outside air from getting in. With fans, you get what you pay for. A $20-$30 fan will be noisy, get worse and do a poor job. Install something...
  9. Gencon

Tree Roots In House Storm Drain

Call in a pro drain cleaner. They have special root cutting bits for the ends of the augurs that will remove the roots and clear the drain. Sending a scope down will show if the line is clear or not so a company that provides this service as well as snaking is recommended. This is only temporary...
  10. Gencon

relief valve plumbing

The 1" air gap rule is correct. Just provide a funnel directly under the valves discharge and run the piping from the funnel, over to the floor drain as you originally wanted to do.The funnel can simply be a large reducing coupling. For a 3/4" valve discharge, I usually use a 3x1 reducing...
  11. Gencon

splicing in a new drain

If its a drain, its likely cast iron. In which case the best way to tie in another drain is to cut the pipe and add a wye.Use a soil pipe or snap cutter to cut the pipe and use MJ couplings for the connections. You may have to do the same for the vent, or else its copper.
  12. Gencon

Replacing Vent Pipe

You could run 2 vents. The first one would be a your 3" vent from the floor below,just run it straight up to the attic with no joints in the wall-thats one reason why you can get 10' lengths. The tub and sink vent can be connected together above the flood level rim of the sink as an 1 1/2" and...
  13. Gencon

Cement Laundry Tub

It may take a few buckets to get it out. It likely weighs about 250 lbs. Last time I took one to landfill they charged me $11 to dump it.
  14. Gencon

Stack Exhaust Fan

Have a primer installed on one of the bathroom fixtures.
  15. Gencon

Old 2-flat main stack clean-out problems

An item called a test plug will work here, although I'm not sure if they're allowed for permanent installation.They are normally used to temporarily cap off a drainage/vent system while work is being done. They come in various sizes and are basically a large rubber ring with a large washer on...
  16. Gencon

Three hole vanity sink

Hard to say. Its likely that the 3 holes are all spaced 4" apart, in which case you would have no problem installing tthe items you want as long as the faucet can be mounted in one hole and doesn't require the large mounting plate. If they have 3 holes lined up with the 2 outside ones at 4"...
  17. Gencon

Bathroom remodel - Adding Whirpool bath

Maybe this will help: http://www.cwc.ca/design/tools/calcs/SpanCalc_2002/
  18. Gencon

Making L-Cuts in Ceramic and Porcelain Tile

I cut ceramic, porcelain, marble slate and granite with mine. The blade is at least a couple of years old and still cuts great. Power has never been an issue. I wouldn't use it as my main tool for cutting tiles, I have a wet saw for that, but for making shaped cuts for corners, edges or closet...
  19. Gencon

Making L-Cuts in Ceramic and Porcelain Tile

I use my Roto-Zip with the dry diamond blade and it works just fine.It has plenty of power for this. Though you do have to take it apart and blow the dust out of it after awhile or it will stop working.
  20. Gencon

Leaking Bathtub

The overflow would be more susceptible to leaking if there was shower water spraying all over it, than with water sitting in the tub. Remove the drain basket, reseal it with plumbers putty and retighten it. Under shower conditions thers is virtually no pressure on the drain basket. Once you...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks