Search results

1. Dixon

The Well Pump is Acting Up Again

OK, so I expect my next move will be to setup another intake system, all glued, pump and see what happens. Thanks for the input so far...
  2. Dixon

I understand what you are saying and I want to make sure we are on the same sheet. I heard air on two occasions. First event was when I broke the seal between the union and the pump and I heard air for a quick moment (either sucking or blowing). Second event was a few minutes later when I broke...
  3. Dixon

Yesterday, when I separated the intake plumbing I of course started by first separating the union to disconnect the pump from the well. I could hear alot of air sucking into the pipe/pump as I slowly separated the union. Likewise, when I secondly unscrewed the check valve slowly from the casing...
  4. Dixon

My last visit to the forum was about 3 years ago and was about the same well. We fixed it then, hopefully we can solve it now. To recap: The residential well is 33 years old, 27' deep, and in the Atlantic Coastal Plain Aquifer (sand/fine gravel). The well has a 2" casing with a 1 1/4" check...
  5. Dixon

How to Bench Test a Jet Pump

I'm away from the house now but can give it a try later, likely tomorrow...
  6. Dixon

No GFCI. The ground wire I clamped around had @ 6" free length from the motor to the cord. I moved the clamp up and down the free running length and the reading did vary somewhat, .05 to .10 The meter is a compact, 100 amp clamp, inexpensive but reliable I believe.
  7. Dixon

I havn't reconnected/primed the SNE to test current leak at ground but I did put another pump together, a used Sta-Rite SND and tested it. SND Data plate indicates 6.2 max amps, I measured 5.1 pumping wide open and 5.38 amps with the discharge valve nearly closed (50 + psi). The clamp meter on...
  8. Dixon

Gotcha, wire directly. Too easy. Also, wouldn't a simple resistance test between L1/ground, L2/ground with a multimeter indicate a short in the windings?
  9. Dixon

Thanks for the advise folks. I did ground the motor while testing but did not test for current through ground. That can be done. One question when bench testing without a pressure tank Is there anyway to prevent pressure switch chatter as I approach cutoff pressure while closing the discharge...
  10. Dixon

Got around to rebuilding/testing a Sta-rite SNE-L, 1 hp shallow pump. Cleaned all parts, treated volute interior with 0spho. Impeller/diffuser looked good enuff so they're in it. Replaced mechanical seal, splash seal, and volute to back plate seal. Pretty paint on pump, not motor. Test run...
  11. Dixon

" You will need the foot valve just to get it primed, and just wire to the output side of the pressure switch for the test." Gotcha Valveman. Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'm developing a household "how to" notebook and your information is filling the well so to speak.. My...
  12. Dixon

Thank you gentleman for your advise. "I don't know how fancy your test setup should be." Fancy is definetely not me, In my book KISS is the way to go. I'm guessing simple would be to eliminate the check/foot valve and pressure switch? All I really want to know is amperage draw under load and...
  13. Dixon

I want to test a couple of used shallow well pumps and would like a brief tutorial on the best method. I have an amp meter, verified pressure gauge, electrical supply and an adequate water reservoir with supply/return plumbing. A ball valve is installed on the pump discharge side and a 30/50...
  14. Dixon

Separating Sta-Rite SNC-L Seal Plate from Pump Body

Exactly my thoughts. The disassembly was educational and the knowledge may benefit me at some point, however I also learned a pump with any age likely isn't worth ordering replacement parts for. This is the second Sta-rite I've found in this condition and there is one more to go... probably same...
  15. Dixon

Thanks Valveman. Allowing it to sit overnight, and a couple of taps with a thin screwdriver easily freed it. The cast seal plate has alot of corrosion along the edge mating with the diffuser. Am I correct to think this would cause excessive clearance and degrade performance? Also I cannot find...
  16. Dixon

I'm disassembling an SN series pump for inspection/rebuild and the back plate is stuck to the pump housing. I've cleaned the flange, soaked the mating surfaces with PB Blaster, whacked the housing around the flange with a dead blow hammer, whacked the back plate flange with a ball peen...
  17. Dixon

Shallow well, Plumbing Directly to Casing

Thanks Valveman, I value your input. I want to purchase a second pump for backup and am considering less hp. Would pumping directly from the 2" casing be a consideration when sizing the pump?
  18. Dixon

Shallow well, Plumbing Directly to Casing

What are the pros/cons of pumping from the 2" casing directly? (I already did this three years ago) My well depth is 26', the static level 13', and was drilled in 1989. PVC casing. The well is for domestic use and requirements are both potable and lawn irrigation. The well has produced since...
  19. Dixon

Sta-Rite SN vs FN Series Jet Pumps

Does anyone with Sta-Rite experience know the difference between these two series of pumps beyond the description, casing design, and price? From Pentair: "The ProJet SN Series provides excellent performance with strong pressure for wells to 25 ft. deep." "The FN Series Provides strong...
  20. Dixon

Well Pump, New to Forum, A Question About Two Brands

I've seen the JS10s mentioned quite a bit. Anyone aware of a thread here that discusses it at some depth? The search function, at least for me, hasn't turned up such a discussion.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks