Search results

1. Tomdude

Question about well head cap

The cap looks like that except for a domed end. The homeowner got a number off the metal tag and was able to find the well data online. According to the website, the well is only 55 feet deep with a static water level of 8 feet. There is no jet pump in the basement so I assume a submersible...
  2. Tomdude

Question about well head cap

I recently looked at a well head design that I never saw before. The house was built about 1995 in rural Delaware. The well head looks like a piece of 6 inch PVC coming out of the ground. There is no metal cap or wiring showing, just a PVC pipe cap. There is also a stainless tag around the base...
  3. Tomdude

Water meter not showing usage?

Thanks for your reply Mr. Young. The meter was bought brand new from Ebay for about $40, so no warranty. I guess the internal gears may have a bad spot. It turns over well for awhile and then locks up. Time for a new one :-)
  4. Tomdude

Water meter not showing usage?

My well water is polluted with carcinogens from a local factory. I installed a whole house carbon filtration system to remove the toxins. I installed a residential water meter between the well pump tank and carbon filters to monitor usage. The water meter used to show about 100 gallons per day...
  5. Tomdude

uneven toilet rough in

The flange is PVC but I havent taken anything apart yet. I plan to install an American Standard Cadet 3 because they are cheap at Home Depot and have worked for me in the past. The toilet is heavily used and 5 gallons per flush is getting expensive :-) Thanks to everyone who posted. I am a...
  6. Tomdude

uneven toilet rough in

I live in a house built by a family who drank a lot and said " close enough " a lot. I want to swap an old 5 gallon per flush toilet with a new 1.28 gallon model to save water. I read that rough in is measured from the wall ( not baseboard ) to the center of the toilet bolt. Problem is the left...
  7. Tomdude

Sealing large water filter joints

Awesome ! Will do that and Thanks for the reply :-)
  8. Tomdude

Sealing large water filter joints

Good Afternoon - I recently found my well is contaminated with PFOA courtesy of a local company that was dumping the stuff. I bought 2 very large carbon filters that have plastic heads and housings with 1 inch female npt connections. The local well water is very acid so I wanted all plastic...
  9. Tomdude

Water heater failed with water shut off

Good Evening - I have a rental that has been vacant since 11/2021. I keep the water shut off to avoid damage in case of a leak or frozen pipe. Today, I went over and found the water heater drain pan had a half inch of water in it. The water heater is a 40 gallon GE electric installed in 2005...
  10. Tomdude

Abandoned house, no water, toilets FULL

I finally evicted some non paying tenants and got the house back. The water was shut off two months ago and they continued to use the toilets. Two toilets are brim full with solid waste and toilet paper, one flushed OK when I turned the water on. What is the best way to unclog the loaded...
  11. Tomdude

Newbie question about shower valves

I am fixing up a trashed vacant rental for resale. The plastic tub surround was trashed so I discarded it. I found the single handle shower and tub valve leaking from a porosity in the casting. The house was built in 1970 and has copper piping going to the shower valve. I need to replace the...
  12. Tomdude

Newbie question about toilet fitup

Thanks Reach4! The photo you posted makes perfect sense. The horn on the American Standard looks like it will fit inside the flange. The existing flange looks like a push tite 866-GP, so, I can replace it with a thinner version if needed. The original toilet is an old Mancesa, and I want to go...
  13. Tomdude

Newbie question about toilet fitup

Good afternoon. I have a toilet to install and am not sure how to proceed. The toilet flange is thick PVC and sticks up about 3/8 inch above the floor. The flange is PVC and slip fits into the cast iron pipe and is screwed to the wood floor. I checked an American Standard toilet and the horn...
  14. Tomdude

Cutting very brittle CPVC pipe

Yesterday, I had to cut a piece of very old 1/2 inch CPVC pipe in a really confined space. There was no room for a hacksaw or even a hand held hacksaw blade. A scissor type PVC / PEX cutter just broke the brittle pipe at about a 45 degree angle. I tried a small Rigid copper tubing cutter and it...
  15. Tomdude

Finding a buried well head

New guy here. This is my first post so please be gentle :) I live in a 1971 home in a rural area. I have a Gould 2 line jet pump in the basement manufactured in 1991. 2 poly lines run to a buried well head. I have lived here 20 years and everything worked perfect until now. The well tank...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks