Search results

1. randomwalk

Fleck 5600 SXT Setting for Catalytic Carbon Filter

Thanks, Bannerman! My tank is actually 9 x 48 (44 was a typo). And the drain flow rate is 4.0 gpm.
  2. randomwalk

Fleck 5600 SXT Setting for Catalytic Carbon Filter

I have a 1.0 cubic ft. (9x44) catalytic carbon filter with a Fleck 5600 SXT head. I'm trying to see if the setting below are correct. A sticker by the drain line says Drain Flow = 4.0 GPM. DF = Gal VT = Fltr --> I am not sure if this is the right setting. CT = tc NT = 1 DO = 15 --> I have...
  3. randomwalk

Need Help with Water Softener Setting -- Fleck 5600 SXT

There's a sticker by the drain line that says "Injector 1". I'm not sure what that means though. How do I tell what injector I have?
  4. randomwalk

Thanks, Reach! I changed the settings and confirmed that FM = t0.7 is appropriate by filling a 5 gallon jug with water. The meter was accurate using t0.7 instead of t1.0. Can you tell me the determinants of the BW, BD and RR settings? Is a longer BW and RR better in that it cleans the resin...
  5. randomwalk

I recently had a 1.5 cubic ft. softener installed with a Fleck 5600 SXT valve. I looked into the settings and think they are currently incorrect. Can you help me with the correct settings? The sticker near the brine line says 1.5 lbs. of salt / minute, which I think is equivalent to 0.5 gpm...
  6. randomwalk

What makes a good RO system? Recommendations?

I'm looking to replace an existing Watts WP-5 RO system that we've had for many years. It's a pretty standard system with 1 sediment stage, 2 carbon stages, RO membrane, then post-tank GAC polishing filter. I added a permeate pump to the system on my own. There's nothing wrong with the...
  7. randomwalk

Big Blue carbon filter vs. Backwash catalytic carbon filter

Practically speaking, is it a big problem that the carbon filter is too full (i.e., 1 cubic ft. in a 8x44 tank)? I saw that the proper amount should be 0.75 cubic ft. as well, which is why I was thinking of trading for a smaller softener so I can get a bigger (1.0 cubic ft.) carbon filter...
  8. randomwalk

Thanks, Bannerman. The space limit is the tank diameter, not the height. I will definitely go with catalytic carbon since the carbon tank is limited in size, so I will put in the most effective filtering media. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I should get a smaller softener (9x48 instead...
  9. randomwalk

BTW, the carbon tank would be 8" x 44" instead of 9" x 48" because of space limits.
  10. randomwalk

Thanks, all! At this point, I am leaning toward either backwash carbon filter or just not having a carbon filter (and use 10% cross link resin to better withstand the chlorine). If cost was not an issue, would it be correct that I should get catalytic carbon instead of regular GAC for a...
  11. randomwalk

Help Needed -- Dealer Recommendations in Bay Area (San Jose)?

Thanks, Bannerman! The dealer said the Fleck 5600SXT will be 1" and there won't be any need to reduce the mainline going into the system. So it seems like for my usage, the 5600 is fine. Realistically, a 1.5 cubic ft. softener (10" x 54") and a 1.0 cubic ft. carbon filter (8" x 44") is the...
  12. randomwalk

The Fleck 5600SXT spec sheet says inlet / outlet up to 1-1/4". So it seems like it would be ok for my 1" mainline? http://www.flecksystems.com/pdf/5600SXT-Spec-Sheet.pdf
  13. randomwalk

Yeah, I'm guessing Big Blue is probably less effective at filtering given the same flow rate? I mean, let's say we have two showers going at the same time, with the dishwasher running. Would either system limit the flow such that the pressure would be low?
  14. randomwalk

Thanks, Bannerman! What is the disadvantage of a lower backwash rate? I mean, it backwashs at night so I don't really care if it takes longer. You don't save any water by using a higher backwash rate, right? The 3/4" mainline restriction seems to be a bigger problem. I guess they don't have...
  15. randomwalk

I'm interested in a carbon filter ahead of my softener mainly to protect the resin from chlorine / chloramine, with the added benefit of generally better water. I live in San Jose and the chlorine level in my city water is not super high (1.53 ppm on average according to the water quality...
  16. randomwalk

Separately, in order to fit both a softener and a backwash carbon filter inside the water heater closet, the brine tank has to be outside the closet and would be outdoors. Is it a problem to have the brine tank outdoors?
  17. randomwalk

Thanks for the PM's and recommendations! I'm starting to speak to some dealers and have a question about the valves. I'm considering a 1.5 cubic ft. softener with 10% cross linked resin, and a 1.0 cubic ft. backwash catalytic carbon filter. This is the biggest unit that can fit in the space...
  18. randomwalk

TD;LR: Can anyone recommend knowledgeable independent water treatment companies in the Bay Area (San Jose)? I can't seem to find any when I Google. For example, I can't seem to find anyone who puts together and installs Fleck based systems. I only find proprietary systems (Culligan, Hague...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks