Search results

1. Elana

Very busy sump pump is flooding our yard and cycling constantly.

I thought I'd come back with an update/resolution. Ultimately, we set the sump pump to go off at a higher level, like I described above. Essentially the water level can rise as high as 7" below my basement floor before the sump pump goes off. This means it goes off much less often, which is...
  2. Elana

Removing deck from backyard, how to refill the holes in the ground?

Just wanted to provide an update. We removed one of the concrete footers completely, but decided it would be overkill to have to fill 23 holes that were each 3 feet deep. For the rest we just broke off about 6" inches from the top and buried them. We only did the deck removal on our own...
  3. Elana

Removing deck from backyard, how to refill the holes in the ground?

I hope it's okay to post about this here - not sure what counts as a remodel, but I find this forum way more helpful than other forums, like Reddit! We are removing a large deck from our backyard. We will be replacing it with a paver brick patio. Once the deck is completely removed there will...
  4. Elana

So is it a problem if the drain tile sits full of water most/all of the time? Assuming the water level is still 7" below the top of my sump basin? As it stands I have two pumps (in the same pit) and a battery backup, so hopefully that is enough to buy me time in the event of disaster, since...
  5. Elana

I'm not sure if I am explaining my concern properly, but I am wondering: if I let the sump basin fill above the height of the drain tile, is it possible the groundwater entering my sump basin from the holes below will just move into the drain tile and exit somewhere it isn't supposed to? So...
  6. Elana

So far things still seem to be a lot better at the higher setting. As I said, this does require my drain pipe to be completely submerged practically all of the time, but as long as that won't cause any costly problems down the line I am happy to leave it that way. It seems like there are two...
  7. Elana

Thanks again for all your help, it is much appreciated. The downspouts all have extenders and the house is somewhat at the top of a hill, so they all slope downhill quite readily. The problem is that there is somewhat of a valley (however subtle) between my neighbor's house and mine; most of...
  8. Elana

I think every single drilled hole is within 5" of the bottom, so all those would need to be filled and possibly new ones made higher up. With the new upper limit of 17", the sump pump did not run once last night (as far as I can tell), and the pond in the neighbor's yard is already nearly gone...
  9. Elana

Sounds like a good plan. I have been observing it a lot already! It seems like it is pretty good about emptying the pit in a hurry once it goes off. Like a hearty toilet flushing. For the water level, is 6" from the top the correct "upper limit" we should abide by?
  10. Elana

Hello, it's me again. The epoxy I ordered won't be here til Monday, but in the meantime I figured I'd play with the water level to see if there is a point where it will "level" out (i.e., the natural water table). Right now it seems stable-ish around 16", which leaves about 9" of empty basin...
  11. Elana

That's the plan, and I'll have a better idea once we start, but I think most of the holes are really near the bottom, so don't know if we'll wind up in a position where we'll need to drill new ones higher. But you think it is necessary/prudent we have some drilled holes rather than just relying...
  12. Elana

The City of Chicago proper does let you hook up to the sewer line, but here in the suburbs they are two separate lines and it is illegal. I was thinking to do it anyway because at least we'd hopefully have a "good run" with a dry yard before we get caught and have to pay a fine. But I'm going...
  13. Elana

I mean, it's mostly clean. There was some debris in there, like a match stick, but not much.
  14. Elana

Funny you should say that. This was what a waterproofing company told me, and the rest of the phone call wasn't any better. Before I could even finish describing my problem (to the waterproofing company) she cut me off and told me there is nothing anyone can do for me, that I live above a...
  15. Elana

Hi, I am in the NW burbs, nowhere near a river nor flood plain. My neighbors don't have this issue. I interviewed the neighbor immediately next to me about it, as we are at an equivalent elevation and only 10 ft. apart, and got some useful info. They have a basement and a sump pump too, but...
  16. Elana

My observation is that water never comes in from the foundation drain, or at least it is not a significant contributor of water in the basin and my pump going off incessantly. If you sit there and watch (which I've done more than I care to), the sump pump discharges and then immediately fills...
  17. Elana

I'm not sure if the holes are "regularly shaped" enough that a screw will cover them completely. That's why I thought just buttering some epoxy over them might be easier, and then I don't need to be as precise, either. I mean, the surrounding floor is concrete. I don't know what the basin is...
  18. Elana

Sorry for the bump, but I am wondering what my next step should be. I saw someone else on a different site talk about using "marine epoxy" to seal the weep holes (or whatever we're calling them) because the epoxy will seal even under the water. However, I also read that the ground water can...
  19. Elana

That speaks to my idea of the sump pump acting as a well. I have the ION Genesis Controller, so I can raise the discharge level digitally. However, right now it is set to discharge at 13", which is approximately 12" below the top of the basin. The problem is, if I raise it any higher, the...
  20. Elana

We did just replace the sump pump with one of the most expensive varieties available, since the existing one was pretty old, and obviously we have a lot of water. I believe it is the ION Max Deluxe Battery Backup Sump Pump with the ION Genesis Controller. EDIT: I'm home and just checked. The...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks