Search results

1. Beets

Is Radioactive GAC a thing?

I appreciate your insights as it would take me many days of study to get to your level of knowledge on this subject. It sounds like it is unlikely Gamma is a problem. It sounds like Alpha is most likely only a problem when handling (emptying) GAC as it is unlikely to get through my GAC. It...
  2. Beets

Thank you for the feedback. Anyone know a company that does gross alpha testing in Canada? I am curious if there is some point at which alpha particles will pass through the carbon filter? Is there some point at which the carbon becomes radioactive to the point that beta particles could...
  3. Beets

Thank you. Your post generated lots of questions. How do I find out if I have a problem? I'm in Canada, and I generally don't have access to the plethora of testing that the US folks have access to, but I might as well ask so I can see how I can test. I have radon in my house, but I don't...
  4. Beets

Thank you. To replace the media in my back washing carbon tank is around close to $600 Canadian ($450 US).....and that's if I do it myself. What I would really like to understand is if there is a way to know if it needs replacing? A Geiger Counter is under $100. If I knew it was the...
  5. Beets

I use Centaur carbon for H2S removal. My media is now 7 years old and going strong. I just started reading how radon can accumulate in GAC as Pb-210, or something like that and then your GAC is radioactive. We do have radon mitigation system for our house, so I know there is radon in the...
  6. Beets

Whole House Monitoring System - Water alarms, freeze alerts, water consumption, etc with email alerts

Is there a GOOD whole house monitoring system? I would like to get an email if: - water on the floor - house temperature gets too low - water consumption is too high (I have a lot of irrigation and a pretty small well, so a valve sticking open or a leak could be bad for the well) -...
  7. Beets

What do you do with water after shocking a well?

I'm using Walmart bleach (unscented)....I don't imagine I will get much customer support :) My normal chemical of use during water treatment is H2O2, and I use food grade stuff for that. But for shocking, I used the cheapest and what was readily available. I'm using Centaur Carbon. I'm...
  8. Beets

Does carbon ever lose it's capacity to remove chlorine? Is there a finite capacity and it won't ever remove chlorine again? Or does it regenerate itself? Same question, but does it ever lose capacity to remove H2O2?
  9. Beets

After shock treating a well, what do you do with the water? Do you run it into your septic system? Run it onto the gravel driveway? Run it through your carbon filter occasionally back flushing to clean it up as much as you can?
  10. Beets

Neutra Sul vs 35% Food Grade H2O2

For me, the H2O2 is for H2S (or rotten egg smell). It is not a good disinfectant. I normally treat to have a residual of 2 to 10 ppm before the carbon filter, but I have slime growing throughout my system. Even at 100 ppm, the slime thrives.
  11. Beets

Thank you. I have a carbon tank post injection so if I overdose with chlorine or H2O2, it isn't obvious. Thank you for the reminder on the safety with the 35% H2O2. What PPE do you use when handling H2O2? I'm guessing you aren't changing over tanks in bare feet and shorts.
  12. Beets

Baking carbon filter?

Thank you. The next time I find some slime, I'm going to put it in a bottle and fill the bottle with hot water from my hot water tank to see if it results in a kill. Just did a bit of googling. It looks like I need the "HW" version which I suspect stands for hot water.
  13. Beets

Baking carbon filter?

Are there temperature limits on the control heads? It isn't too hard to plumb things so I can do a hot water back flush. I have successfully cleaned my carbon filter on a number of occasions by back-washing with H2O2 and chlorine. Maybe clean is the wrong word. I've eliminated smell from the...
  14. Beets

Baking carbon filter?

I intentionally ran my H2O2 dry before switching pails. After I switched, I had strong H2S odor even after I got the H2O2 back to the intended concentrations. Darn. Been here before. I opened my big blue filter, and it was full of pink slime. Some of you may recall me posting pictures of...
  15. Beets

Thank you for this! My 35% must have stabilizers, because it seems quite potent after 2 years. But I don't see stabilizer mentioned on the datasheet, but it isn't a very detailed datasheet. I just changed to a new container. It will be interesting to see if I notice a big difference in...
  16. Beets

I don't think it is degrading significantly because I don't have to turn up the H2O2 over time. Admittedly, it might have to lose 3/4 of it's strength to be noticeable. It was more a question if anyone else has noticed H2O2 degrading.
  17. Beets

I've been buying 35% food grade H2O2 for my system from a chemical warehouse. The Neutra Sul is what most of the water treatment guys are selling. It is only 7% H2O2. It has stabilizers to extend the shelf life of the H2O2 up to 5 times. I'm curious if the stabilizers are a marketing...
  18. Beets

Well Water Chlorination Systems

The pros on this forum are going to ask for a full water analysis, and flow rates. I am not a pro. I'm a home owner with experience dealing with H2S smell using chlorine and hydrogen peroxide. I probably shouldn't say anything as I don't know about iron and I know it can be really...
  19. Beets

Water meter with info to cloud?

I'm on an acreage and well water. One of my watering timers got stuck open while I was on vacation. Fortunately, my well was able to keep up and no harm was done. However, I might not be so lucky next time. I was wondering if there is any way to install a water meter, where I could get the...
  20. Beets

AIO3 or Full on Ozone System

I'm definitely interested in the experts answers to your questions......my best guess from what I have read is that the ozone will sterilize the media during the draw cycle. However, any bacteria in the water will not be affected by the ozone before or after that draw cycle. As far as H2S and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks