Search results

1. Steven JP

Change in elevation when laying carpet

I am putting carpet on this floor and running it down the whole stairs. Not a runner. What is the best way to make this transition so it is not a tripping hazard? Some people have said to build it up with carpet pad but I feel like that will be very squishy and still be a tripping hazard...
  2. Steven JP

Kennard Rough in rear outlet toilet

Can someone explain to me how to rough in a rear outlet toilet? The centerline of the outlet of the toilet is 7 inches off the floor. It seems pretty straightforward as to how it installs. The 3 inch pipe comes out of the wall and pretty much just attaches to it. My question is how do I rough...
  3. Steven JP

Electrical disconnect for mini split

How do i know which size electrical disconnect box i need for a mini split. I plan on installing a 12k mini split that uses 120v.
  4. Steven JP

115v vs 230v minisplit

I am going to be putting a mini split in my finished attic. I will need a 12k model. They are available in both 115v vs 230v. The only difference I have found is that it might cost a little more to run the 115v as far as the cost of electricity. Thats not a huge concern to me because it is...
  5. Steven JP

Adding new light and switch

I need to add another switch to a current 3 way switch system. I attached a diagram and hopefully I can explain what I am trying to achieve. The green is the white common wire in the drawing. The faded red is a mistake I couldn't erase. Switch #1 is at the bottom on the stairs. The wire runs...
  6. Steven JP

How much variation can there be between rafters?

My rafters are not even with each other and I also had to fur them out. I ripped 2 x 4s to bring it out about another inch or so depending on how far the rafter needed to be furred out. Not sure why but some of them are still not completely even with each other. The worst ones are probably a...
  7. Steven JP

Raised shower

How can I support a raised shower pan and have the tile be flush. I've posted an example of what I am trying to do and then a picture of my shower pan. What I'm trying to figure out is how does the outer end of the pan get supported. Does it just barely sit on the tile and that supports it? I...
  8. Steven JP

Finishing raised shower

How can I support a raised shower pan and have the tile be flush. I've posted an example of what I am trying to do and then a picture of my shower pan. What I'm trying to figure out is how does the outer end of the pan get supported. Does it just barely sit on the tile and that supports it? I...
  9. Steven JP

Rafter insulation

Looking some more ideas on how to get to r 30 in my 2 by 6 attic rafters without hiring someone. I don't want to lose much head room so this is what I've come up with. With a 1 inch gap I'll be left with 4.5 inches of depth. 2 layers of 2 inch polysio will give me r 26.2. I'll top that off...
  10. Steven JP

1 inch pipe through header

Im moving this water heater to the other side of the attic and I am wondering whether I can take the two 1 inch pipes through these three 2 by 8s that connect all these joists. I'm not sure what the term for it is. I want to call it a header but there is no support underneath it. It is one big...
  11. Steven JP

Shower drain over header

Installing a shower in my attic and the drain falls right on the header. I need to figure out a way to raise it up so I can get to one of the joist bays with the drain pipe. What are some good solutions out there. I've also found some offset quadrant shower bases that put the drain on the front...
  12. Steven JP

Help laying out attic bathroom

I am finishing my attic and laying out the bathroom is quite difficult. I attached a picture of what I think is the best option. The grey lines are the joists and the one thick grey line is a beam that spans the house where the joist connect. The sloped side (roof side) is on the toilet side...
  13. Steven JP

Ducted mini split

I am planning out how I am going to heat and cool my attic that I am finishing. I have a 19 by 12 room and a 8 by 8 bathroom. I want to put the unit on an interior wall in the 19 by 12 room. The other side of that wall will be unfinished attic space. It will also put the unit only about 5 feet...
  14. Steven JP

Will this DWV situation work?

Will draining and wet venting this shower right above a toilet present any problems. The shower will be 2 inch and tie into the vent stack using a sanitary tee. Then directly below it I will go to three inch and the toilet will tie into the stack.
  15. Steven JP

How should I plumb this?

I need some help figuring out how to plumb this. The 2 inch pipe to the right is for the shower and the hole is going to be 3 inch pipe for a toilet. I will be sistering the joist with the hole in it to repair it. This is a first floor bathroom in a story house above a crawlspace. It's not...
  16. Steven JP

Which setup should I use

I need to tie a toilet and a shower into a dwv pipe. Im wondering which setup I should use. The toilet is pretty close to the wall where im putting the DWV pipe so I can use two 90s to get away from that wall and use a wye fitting to tie the 2 inch shower pipe into the 3 inch drain. Or I can...
  17. Steven JP

Can I cut top plate

I need to run a 3 inch DWV pipe through the top plate in my house. I pretty much need to cut a whole 4 inch section out for this to work. It is an external wall on the gable side of my two story house. The pipe will be right next to the 2 by 4 on the right. The picture is the bottom of the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks