Search results

1. DIYorBust

UK Faucet in a US bathroom

A single hole 2 handle lav faucet with pop-up waste is what we needed for this project. While a perrin and rowe and a zuchetti faucet were identified they were in the 500-1000 dollar range and had a long ship time. Enter the Bristan R BAS C Regency...
  2. DIYorBust

Copper dishwasher supply line?

I need to replace a copper supply line for a dishwasher, the supply stop valve is 3/8th compression. However I noticed when I went to order the soft copper tubing, the 3/8th inch OD is labeled for refrigeration, utility, or oil. Are these suitable for use in a dishwasher application, or is there...
  3. DIYorBust

Toto "330" Valve Fills Bowl, not Tank and Runs

Hi Folks, I have a promenade e-max I installed maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Recently we noticed it has been running occasionally, but frequently enough to be a problem. I went to check it out, and assumed the flush tower(ie the fancy replacement for the flapper assembly) was to blame. However upon...
  4. DIYorBust

3-handle shower valve tailpiece

Hi Folks. After some pause due to covid, I'm trying to pickup an old project I am working on with a very old 3 handle tub valve body. I think I posted on this a few years ago, but didn't get much traction during the lockdown, but I thought I'd give it another shot. It has union like tailpiece...
  5. DIYorBust

Tube insulation size?

I have 1-1/4 copper tubing in some parts of my heating system. Would this be the correct product? Am I right to assume I'm looking for 1-3/8 insulation for the 1-1/4 copper tubin? I'm looking at tubolit DGS13812...
  6. DIYorBust

Are stainless steel fittings compatible with black steel?

In a hot water heating system, can I use stainless fittings directly to ordinary steel threaded connections?
  7. DIYorBust

NPT fitting doesn't quite fit in NPT tap!

So this was a surprise. I have some radiators with four tappings. Normally two would be for flow and return and one would be used for an air vent, the fourth would be capped, but other configurations are possible. The manufacturer confirmed that the tappings are 1/2" NPT, and such NPT fitting...
  8. DIYorBust

Hot water heating system pressure

Why is my boiler pressure getting so high? I have a 2 pipe hot water system with baseboard convectors. We recently drained the system to install some additional radiators. I like to keep the pressure at around 25 psi, in this building the top floor is about 40ish feet above the boiler. However...
  9. DIYorBust

Sweating quarter turn supply stops

Short question, how can I sweat quarter turn supply stops without overheating and damaging them when they are so small? The full story: I want to replace some old leaky multi turn supply stops with quarter turns for a kitchen sink. They are sweated on and use hard supply lines to the faucet...
  10. DIYorBust

Compression extension fitting

So I'm installing a hot water steel radiator that is tapped for 1/2 inch bsp I but sold in the US market. It came with an adapter that converts it to conpression to attach the valves which are compression. In the UK, an extension piece is available...
  11. DIYorBust

Replace expansion tank?

My hot water heater has an expansion tank off its feed. The water supply is municipal with a prv. The other day I turned on the water heater when the house was about 50 degrees. I observed later water on the kitchen floor. It appears to me the water blew by the compression fittings on the sink...
  12. DIYorBust

Exposed galvanized gas line

We're running a BBQ gas line in galvanized pipe. The entire run is above ground, not buried, and galvanized is allowed by the code in NYC for this purpose, but not for buried pipe. Now my question is, should any additional steps be taken to prevent corrosion in the pipe? Would it benefit from...
  13. DIYorBust

Side or Heel inlet 90 dry vent branch

Any problem using a side or heel inlet quarter bend to attach a branch off a dry vent? All piping in this arrangement are dry vents above the flood rim but it's difficult to connect with a tee or wye in this spot. Thanks, DIY
  14. DIYorBust

Wall mounted sink framing

I'd like to safely install a wall mounted sink on a wall area approximately 24 inches wide that is flanked on all sides by by 1.5 inch cast iron plumbing vents so that blocking cannot reach the 2x4 studs unless it is drilled approximately 1.9 inches. Would it be acceptable to so drill the...
  15. DIYorBust

Floor drain extension threads?

I have two floor drains in a slab, but they are not the same drain, and the brands are unknown. I needed to extend the height of the drain strainers. On the first drain, this device fit perfectly: https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=D60979 But on the second drain, the...
  16. DIYorBust

Can vent be reduced in size for clearance?

I know it sounds bad, but here's the deal. I have a 3 inch WC drain individual vented with 2-in pipe. The plumbers overdrilled a 2x4 stud to get the 2 inch through it. Well since it's a bearing wall at that point, it turns out this is creating a problem. A 1.5 inch pipe could pass the stud...
  17. DIYorBust

Extend the sideways portion of side outlet tub waste?

Picture below. Can I go further sideways, or am I limited to the 6 inches or so in the picture? Thanks! DIY
  18. DIYorBust

Mystery pipe

A cast iron pipe, looking to be 2 inches, runs to a remote area of the yard in my 1920s home. The pipe is about 6 inches below grade, as far as I can tell it doesn't carry any waste from the house at this time, but where it runs under a driveway and patio near the house I was unable to trace it...
  19. DIYorBust

Eco Drake Fails to flush about 25% of the time

I have a new eco drake that flushes correctly about 75% of the time, but sometimes the water fills up the bowl instead of going down. A second flush will typically initiate the siphon and get it going down. Since the toilet is new, I don't think the trapway is clogged, and we didn't see any...
  20. DIYorBust

Ventless p-trap on storm drain that does not need trap?

I have an odd situation. The plumber appears to have made a mistake on this project. A storm drain on a patio above a cellar is backpitched. It passes through an engineer approved drill out in a structural steel ibeam. The drain is backpitched in the section between the drain and the steel cut...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks