Search results

1. Seeper

Is this really water hammer?

Yeah I'm starting to zero in on how the oversized existing pump may be interacting with the 3/4" PVC supply line. Please tell me if the following is on track. The existing pump is a 4" Schaefer Series-V 1.5hp 10gpm unit. Looking at that pump curve in the range of 300'-400' TDH, the pump looks...
  2. Seeper

I decided to take a look at the pump sizing for my well. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this back-of-an-envelope look. - 625' well depth - 6" casing - pump set at 400' - static water at 140' - pressure switch set at 40/60psi - 30gpm yield - 1" PVC drop pipe - from the well head, it's...
  3. Seeper

Schaefer pumps: 3200 vs. Series-V?

Can you guys give any pointers regarding Schaefer 3200 vs Series V pumps? I scrolled through the forum pages and didn't see any direct commentary comparing the two; maybe I missed it. I may be in a position soon to replace my oversized 2-wire Series V. I intend to go with a 3-wire model to...
  4. Seeper

I don't know if the check valve at the pump is the one integral to the pump, or located just above it, or both. If I wind up replacing the pump, should I trust the integral check/foot valve, or should I also have a good quality check valve installed just above the pump? Would that violate the...
  5. Seeper

Today I had a WX-250 installed, running in tandem with the existing WX-202. There is now no thump at all, either upon pump startup or stop. The drawdown and run times are now much better, of course. If I decide to have the pump pulled to replace the check valve there, I'll probably swap out...
  6. Seeper

Sorry for the radio silence, I've got some updates. Like a poster here at the site wrote on another thread, I hate it when guys don't follow up with what did or didn't solve their problem. I got recommendations from friends on 2 more local well guys. Neither could figure out why the thump...
  7. Seeper

Got it, thank you LLigetfa. That guy I referenced had an upstairs toilet supply line burst while they were on vacation. It flooded the upstairs then flowed downstairs. Over $30,000 in damage and even then the mold was so bad it made the house unlivable.
  8. Seeper

I have never noticed any air coming from fixtures during normal life at the house. However, before a long trip I turn off the pump's breaker then flush the toilets and open the faucets for a bit in the house to depressurize them. I want to avoid a break while we're gone. I knew of a guy who...
  9. Seeper

Cary, can you give some guidance & a diagram on how to install a CSV1A in the ground near the well head? 18" deep is considered acceptable around here. After the CSV I'll have a yard faucet installed from a new tee in the line, then the line goes to the house. I thought having the CSV buried...
  10. Seeper

Good point on the hose. Yes, during the tests last night the hose was pressurized. But it was similarly pressurized when the plumber induced the thump with it last week. And during today's wide and varied water use, the hose was turned off at the bib. Can you expound how how the tank's...
  11. Seeper

Yesterday evening I set up a test. I wanted to see if the thump happened when the pump stopped while there was ongoing water use at a fixture. I expected there would be no thump since any pressure wave would have a relief path through the open fixture. Why the pressure tank was not serving in...
  12. Seeper

Great info guys, I really appreciate it. To fill in some gaps: - I'm in upstate SC so it's not super cold. I'm told the standard depth for buried plumbing here is 18". - I looked again and there are no check valves around the pressure tank, which is in a relatively roomy crawlspace. However...
  13. Seeper

Thank you for that and I agree with you. My problem is that around here, nobody has any history with CSVs while plenty can put in a pressure tank properly. Because a CSV has to be the first thing in line to the house, and the arrangement at my wellhead, the one guy I've talked to says the CSV...
  14. Seeper

Cary thank you for your info, I was hoping you'd reply. You may recognize the following narrative based on a phone conversation you had this week with a plumber here. Upon further exploration I found out some more about this system. I looked up the WellXTrol sizing guidelines and as Cary...
  15. Seeper

When my well pump turns on, there is almost no sound from the water system pipes. If you're not paying attention you can't hear it. However when the pump stops, there is a very loud THUMP which can be heard from almost anywhere on the first floor of the house. There is no such thump when you...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks