Search results

1. Don H

Water shut off to the house for days. Should I shut the gas off to the water heater?

We have heat and the house is still occupied.
  2. Don H

Water shut off to the house for days. Should I shut the gas off to the water heater?

Thanks. Will it cause any damage to do nothing until Tuesday?
  3. Don H

The County shut the water off to a customer's house a few days ago and it looks like it might be a week of more before we get it turned back on. Should I shut the gas off to the water heater until we get water again?
  4. Don H

Water hammer in system on start-up

Follow-up: I removed the guts from the CV at the tank and the water hammer has stopped. Hopefully the problem is solved!
  5. Don H

Water hammer in system on start-up

After not flowing water overnight I get a water hammer when the pump kicks in. A new pump and hardware was installed in 2018. There is a check valve in the pump, another on top of the pump and a third CV just prior to the pressure tank. I've researched here and it seems the CV at the tank is...
  6. Don H

Water heater/storage tank multiple failures

The failed water heater is gone so I can't inspect the anode but the other water heater (the one with power, not the storage one) had the anode replaced after 4 years and it still had a lot left on it. What would be an acceptable range of ph for well water?
  7. Don H

Supply is all polybutylene. Bonding hot and cold copper lines ensures that there is a good group through the buried house supply line. I installed a water heater in my parent's house and the previous one had a ground wire clamped between the copper two pipes. I reinstalled the same way and...
  8. Don H

So does anyone think that grounding the tank would help?
  9. Don H

Tank appeared to be leaking around the lower element. I see Rheem makes a 50 gallon poly tank, might have to look into that.
  10. Don H

I did not, the tank was replaced under warranty, I had to pay labor. Installer said that AO Smith gave him a hard time about covering it.
  11. Don H

I have a geothermal heating system for the house which also heats my water. The system is set up so the heat exchanger in the geo furnace preheats well water and sends it to a 50 gal water heater used as a storage tank (not hooked up to electric), then over to a water heater with power to step...
  12. Don H

Pull Stop Box, How does this shut on/shut off water valve work??

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pull-stop-outlet-box.html Called a Pull Stop Box, I never actually seen one installed.
  13. Don H

Odd Toilet Flush Issue

Also I have the same toilet in a different bathroom and clean it the same way and never have a problem with a complete flush after cleaning with that one. The problem toilet didn't always do this either, it started several years ago.
  14. Don H

Odd Toilet Flush Issue

The bowl is at normal level when this happens. I guess putting the brush in the bowl displaces a few ounces of water but I wouldn't think it would be enough to effect the flush. I'll have to check that next time. Maybe measure the water hight before and after cleaning.
  15. Don H

Odd Toilet Flush Issue

This has me stumped! I have an American Standard Cadet that is 30 years old. When I clean the bowl I use liquid Clorox Toilet Bowl cleaner. I use a minimum amount of cleaner, scrub the bowl and let it set until it needs to be used. Ever time I flush after cleaning the bowl won't completely...
  16. Don H

Anode rod material and price?

Thanks for the reply. The old anode was probably 80% gone after 7 years when I pulled it. Put a new one in today, I used an aluminum one since that's what my local hardware store had, cost was $40. I used pipe sealant since I seam to have better luck with it. I had to use an impact gun to get...
  17. Don H

When installing the anode does it make a difference if you use teflon tape or pipe sealant on the threads? Also which is better, magnesium or aluminum? The supply house said the WH came with an aluminum anode. This is on an A.O. Smith Electric 50 gal. WH on well water.
  18. Don H

I know this thread is over a year old but I just went to the local plumbing supply house and they tried to sell me a segmented magnesium rod for $150! I found what looks like the same segmented rod for $30. I didn't buy it. I've always bought straight rods in the past and just had enough...
  19. Don H

Submersible pump fell in well

I used this bracket to tie the rope off. The cap fits and seals properly on my PVC casing. https://www.wholesaleindustrialsupply.com/well-supplies/rope-hanger/ None of the local supply houses carried it, had to order it from the website above.
  20. Don H

How deep to set a submersible pump?

I pulled the pump up 5 more feet so it is now in the lower end of the casing. I have no way of knowing how much casing is perforated.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks