Search results

1. Jim S

Locating shower drain under slab

Ok well maybe I answered my own question. After some googling I found this great video: Sounds like a great idea. Make a locating template with cardboard or even 1/4" plywood and use that.
  2. Jim S

Locating shower drain under slab

Hello, Still doing the same bath remodel on our first floor slab. I have a hole open in the slab so I can run the drain from the shower before I close it up. I don't have the shower pan yet. So when the pan comes, I plan on fitting it in the space and seeing where the drain pipe will have to...
  3. Jim S

Best way to repair hole in slab?

For some follow up, here are some pictures of one of the holes which is now complete. :)
  4. Jim S

ProPEX fittings - EP plastic or Brass?

Actually there is a lot of information here: https://www.uponorpro.com/marketing-and-sales/literature.aspx I think I'll go with the EP.
  5. Jim S

ProPEX fittings - EP plastic or Brass?

Are the EP plastic fittings (elbows, tees, couplings etc) fine or do people prefer the brass versions? EP: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Wirsbo-Uponor-Q4755050-ProPEX-EP-Tee-1-2-PEX-x-1-2-PEX-x-1-2-PEX-2311000-p Brass...
  6. Jim S

Yes I'm replacing those.
  7. Jim S

I'm not there yet but soon I will need to repair the holes I made in the slab in the bathroom I am working in. I have made two large holes and would like to know what is the best way to repair them. I have done some small concrete repairs and have worked with concrete a little, I have a mixing...
  8. Jim S

Big Box fittings and Uponor tubing...poor planning

Yes it's unfortunate the Home Depot doesn't carry any Uponor pipe or fittings. In my case I have to go to a local plumbing supply store (at lunch because they are not open evenings or weekends lol) or the better option is supplyhouse.com which is a great site and ships quick. I get their stuff...
  9. Jim S

Did I have a frozen pipe that burst?

My older brother told me that once when we were kids... haha I always wondered about it. I could google it but I'm not gonna.
  10. Jim S

Pipes under slab

For some follow up on this, I met with the county inspector today and asked him about these pipes and he said if it were him, he would go ahead and replace them since they are mostly all exposed now anyways. So I think that is what I will do. He was actually very helpful but I did have to get...
  11. Jim S

Pipes under slab

Thanks for your reply. This would not be easy, but it could be done. Not sure how I would route them but I'm sure it is possible. My real question is DOES THIS NEED TO BE DONE? Are my pipes on borrowed time? Like I said I have read where copper in contact with concrete is a no-no and will...
  12. Jim S

Pipes under slab

nobody? :(
  13. Jim S

Pipes under slab

Oh and one other thing that I thought might factor in is that it takes a long time (couple minutes) for the water to get warm in the shower on the second floor, probably because the pipes run through the ground, which may be cold. So this might be an opportunity to fix that. I just want to...
  14. Jim S

Pipes under slab

Hey group, So I am in the middle of my bath remodel and am having a case of 'while I'm at its'. So here is the thing. This part of the house (where the bath is) is on a slab and the water supply pipes come under this slab and up in the middle and go on up to the other two baths upstairs. So...
  15. Jim S

Moving Soil Stack

why wouldn't it just be a long radius 90?
  16. Jim S

Connecting to cast iron

Ok so if anybody cares, here is what I did. I called Fernco and the woman on the phone suggested getting a connector to go OVER the bell. So that is what I did. Only I went up to my local plumbing supply store and they got one that was real close. And, it worked perfectly! Before I put it...
  17. Jim S

Connecting to cast iron

Hello, I am trying to connect PVC to a cast iron bell and the CI is out of round. I tried using a Fernco donut and it would not go in so I measured the pipe. It is 4 13/16 horizontally and 5" vertically - so it's off by 3/16" out of round! So I can see a couple options. 1. Get my die...
  18. Jim S

Tying into cast iron

I think I'm overthinking this. Support the pipe above, cut it and use a 4" flex coupling. https://pvcpipesupplies.com/4-pvc-to-pvc-cast-iron-epdm-to-cast-iron-epdm-flex-coupling.html
  19. Jim S

Tying into cast iron

I think I can come up with something to support the pipe. It is also partially framed in tight with the studs above with other drains coming in but yes a support down low would be a good idea. As far as cutting the CI, I am comfortable with that. I have an angle grinder, pneumatic cutoff...
  20. Jim S

Tying into cast iron

Hello - first time post. Thanks for all of the great info here. I am redoing our first floor bathroom - switching the shower, sink and toilet locations. I think I have it figured out but I have a question on how to connect to the middle of the cast iron pipe. I am thinking I will cut the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks