Search results

1. Dohc

Mortar Bed Thickness

How thick is too thick for a mortar bed under a corner tub. We have about 4 inches to the base of the tub and 2 inches to the bottom of the metal supports. The manufacture requires a mortar bed. And I understand the ticker the mortar bed the more shrinkage of the mortar. I feel 4 inches is a...
  2. Dohc

Shower Drain installed with no gasket or locking nut

See picture below, we had a Sioux Chief 828 shower drain installed in our shower pan and the installer left off the rubber gasket, fiber gasket, and locking nut. He says the Polyurethane Sealant is enough. Then why would the manufacture (Sioux Chief) include the rubber gasket, fiber gasket...
  3. Dohc

Test Plug for DWV PVC Hub

I can find many different types of test plugs for DWV PVC pipe, but I am not able to locate a plug for the hub part of a PVC pipe fitting. Do they make such a thing? The plug would have to be about 2.375 inch diameter (outside diameter of a PVC 2" trade size pipe) to fit inside the PVC...
  4. Dohc

Vertical DWV PVC pipe support

I have a short (about 12") 2" vertical PVC drain pipe that comes out of a shower floor drain and then goes into the P-trap, view from below... View from above with shower pan and 2" PVC installed... The shower floor drain is a wedi/Sioux Chief assembly... I would like to firmly and...
  5. Dohc

Distance from Joist Hole to PEX Heat Transfer Plate

What is an appropriate distance from the hole in a joist to the start of the PEX Heat Transfer Plate? Using 1/2" PEX-A. Reading over all of the documentation I could find I am guessing 8" is good? Or would 6" be ok? Thank you
  6. Dohc

Floor/Bottom Wall Plate PEX Penetrations

Looking for opinions or methods to modify the bottom wall plate for PEX penetrations. This is the second floor of a 2-story house. The radiant and potable water supply will be under the subfloor, then route up to a plumbing chase where the potable supply manifold and radiant heat manifold is...
  7. Dohc

Radiant Heat PEX recomendations

We are installing 1/2 PEX for in floor radiant heat. Plans have been drawn up and install started. At which point it was discovered that NIBCO Oxygen Barrier PEX-C is not what everyone thought it was (see Class Action Settlement). Anyway, we are now reviewing our options and looking for input...
  8. Dohc

Length of P-trap drain stub-out from the wall

Trying to finish a rough-in for a new DWV kitchen and bathroom and want to know how to rough in the stub-out from the wall? Without the cabinet and sink installed yet, it would be hard to determine the exact length of the short horizontal piece that goes from the trap into the wall. What do...
  9. Dohc

90 degree long sweep or 60 degree elbow

I am transitioning a 1-1/2" PVC bathroom sink drain from vertical to horizontal with a 1-1/2" PVC 90 degree long sweep. Then the next elbow I could use another 90 degree long sweep OR a 60 degree. Which option would be better? Please see photos... Thank you
  10. Dohc

Determine size of final roof Vent

How do you determine the size of the roof vent for a complete DWV system? This is in WI, and a single family residential house. The WI plumbing code can be found online here... https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/sps/safety_and_buildings_and_environment/380_387/382.pdf WI SPS...
  11. Dohc

Tub and Shower Drain connection to 4" horizontal main

We are in the process of finishing the rough plumbing of a 2nd floor bathroom remodel, and found that running two 2" branch drains to the 4" horizontal main drain would be a cleaner layout than trying to run one combined 2" branch to the 4" horizontal main drain. Is there any good reason...
  12. Dohc

4" or 3" Water Closet (Toilet) DW pipe

Is there any reason I would NOT want to use 4" pipe all the way to the toilet flange. I could reduce it down to 3", but it is just as easy to keep it 4" and uses less fittings (no need for a 3" to 4" reducer). Is 4" ok? As for the vent, that is about 5' away and will be 3" to fit in the wall.
  13. Dohc

Connect 4" Horizontal Main to 2" Horizontal Shower/Tub

I am trying to understand the proper connection for a 4" horizontal main to a 2" horizontal shower/tub line. There is about a 6 to 8 inch drop while at the same time transitioning from the 2" tub/shower into the 4" main. See photos of two options that I could come up with. Note the photo does...
  14. Dohc

WI Size of a single Roof Vent

Trying to understand the WI plumbing code in connection to the roof vent. We are in the planning stages of a home remodel. The original house plumbing has 4 inch PVC that exits the basement out to the septic. Inside the basement the PVC runs about 25 feet horizontally (at about 7' AFF in the...
  15. Dohc

Code Review drawings/plans

Long time reader, first post on this forum. We are doing a remodel and would like advice on reviewing our intended plumbing remodel plans. There are two full bathrooms, a kitchen, and utility/wash room. Living in Wisconsin I have been reviewing our code (SPS 382, 384, and 145) and would like...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks