Search results

1. SAS

Water Pressure Question

I have reasonable water pressure throughout most of the house, but the master bath, particularly the shower, varies between very low and mediocre pressure. I have changed shower heads, but that clearly isn't the issue. I suspect that when the previous owner had that bath completely renovated...
  2. SAS

Damaged Threads on Drain Body

I had installed several new sink drains when we moved into our new house a couple of years ago. They are brass but plated to a brushed nickel finish. The finish came off on one of the three and the vendor generously offered to replace it. The replacement, however, had clearly been installed...
  3. SAS

Entrada Left Flush vs. Right

I am replacing a toilet with a new Toto Entrada. I can get the right hand flush model for $22 less than the left hand flush. I really don't care which side the handle is on, but when they switch the handle side, do they also switch which side the fill valve is on? The shut off valve is on the...
  4. SAS

Inconsistent Toilet Tank Fill Level

I replaced an old Toto TSU08a.6 fill valve in a Drake toilet with a Korky 528MP. The installation was straightforward, but the fill level in the tank is not consistent. Most of the time it is just 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the top of the overflow tube, but about 1 time out of 4 it will be 1-2...
  5. SAS

Connecting 1/2 FIP to 3/8 Angle Stop

I am re-installing a bidet toilet seat in our new home. It has a t-valve that is meant to be connected to the angle stop. Here's what it looks like: In our previous home, the female 1/2 inlet attached directly to the stop valve, but this house has a stop valve with a 3/8 compression outlet...
  6. SAS

Do I Need a New AC Unit?

We have an 11 year old Trane XL15i 48,000 BTU unit. We moved into the house before the start of last summer. The AC unit seemed OK until mid-summer when it was unable to effectively cool the house. We had a technician come. He could not find a refrigerant leak, but he confirmed that the unit...
  7. SAS

Why would shutoff valve stop leaking?

I know it sounds like a good problem to have - the valve stopped leaking, but now I keep feeling that I have to repeatedly check it for leaks, since I don't know why it stopped. It is the shutoff valve for the outdoor hose bibb and it leaked from the stem. It was a slow leak, and I figured it...
  8. SAS

Sillcock and Hose Bib Shut Off Problem

The problem starts when I turn on the hose bib. Water is coming out of the hose, but also out from the brick front of the house several feet from the hose bib. Fortunately, the water stops when I turn off the valve. So I figure that I have a leak inside the house only when the hose bib is on...
  9. SAS

Gas Water Heater Vacation Question

I want to turn off the water in the house when we go on an extended vacation. I have a gas water heater, and I could put it on pilot only, or turn it off, but my wife wants to have hot water when we return. So if I leave the hot water heater on, and the water is turned off, what happens if the...
  10. SAS

Toto Fill Valve in American Standard Toilet

I have an American Standard toilet that fills quite slowly. It's a 1.68 gallon flush and takes nearly 2 minutes to fill. By contrast my Drake 1.68 gallon fills in about 45 seconds. The current fill valve in the American Standard is a Fluidmaster 400. I took off the cap to clean the valve...
  11. SAS

Hot Water Recirculation Questions

Our previous house had a hot water recirculation system with a dedicated return line. This worked great (except that when I moved in I had to change the pump to a stainless steel one because the prior owner used a cast iron pump). Our new house does not have a return line, so I am looking at...
  12. SAS

Current Sensing Relay Failure?

When we moved into this house there was a non working Honeywell HE300 humidifier attached to a Trane XV80 furnace. The humidifier was disconnected, and when I connected it I discovered that the solenoid valve would no longer open. I replaced the solenoid valve, but the humidifier runs whenever...
  13. SAS

Fill Valve for Old Crane Toilet

isiting my son and his family in Canada, and he asked me to help fix a very noisy toilet fill valve. It's the old style with the ballcock and float arm. The toilet is a Crane with the numbers 1902 87 on one side of the Crane T logo and 243 on the other. I can see that the old valve is not...
  14. SAS

Proper Breaker for Electric Range

The Samsung electric range in our new house says in the installation manual that, "A range cord rated at 40 amps with 125/250 minimum volt range is required. A 50 amp range cord is not recommended but if used, it should be marked for use with nominal 13⁄8” diameter connection openings. Care...
  15. SAS

Old Toto Fill Valve Question

We just moved to a new house. One of the toilets is a Toto - I'm not sure which model. I've attached a picture of the number on the inside back of the tank (8536: 410), but it doesn't seem to correlate to any Toto model I could identify. Similarly the fill valve has the numbers 30 0505/10...
  16. SAS

Separating Neutral and Ground in Main Panel

During the home inspection for our new house, the inspector noticed that the neutrals and grounds in the main panel were wired together under the same screw, which is not allowed. The problem I have in separating them is that there are not enough available slots on that side of the panel, and...
  17. SAS

Biofilm in Drake II Siphon

I have been having a recurring problem in my Drake II toilet. There is apparently a biofilm growth in the siphon area of the bowl. After flushing you can see small to medium fibrous looking deposits exit from the siphon hole as the toilet is refilling. I have tried all of the usual remedies -...
  18. SAS

Water in Secondary Drip Pan

As you can see in the photo below, there is a tiny bit of water in the drip pan. This is after the A/C ran for about 12-15 hours. I'm focused on this because I had a clog in the condensate line that shut off the unit via the two safety switches, one in the pan and one in the condensate line...
  19. SAS

Check Valve for Crossover Problem?

I have a problem with my kitchen faucet's cold water. Sometimes, but not always, the cold water from the faucet is warm. It rarely happens at any other fixture (my wife says it has, but I have never actually observed it), but it's quite common in the kitchen. The kitchen sink is at the other...
  20. SAS

Daisy Chained GFCI's

Last night the outlet in the master bedroom bathroom stopped working. It's a GFCI so I tried resetting it, but that didn't work. I went to bed thinking I would just buy a new one and replace it today, but some time during the night it occurred to me that it might be linked to another GFCI in...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks