Search results

1. Brian Kehlmeier

How do I extend this sink's p-trap arm to the wall?

I imagine I could by long tailpiece extensions and slip/compression joints to form a route back to the trap adapter, but will that work?
  2. Brian Kehlmeier

It's a 1-1/2" trap adapter currently in the wall.
  3. Brian Kehlmeier

We are repurposing our old bathroom into a pantry. I would like to move this utility sink to the corner and run the trap arm to the existing wall adapter, which has a 1.5" ID. I don't understand how/why the trap pipe diameters are different than the normal pipe diameters. How do I go about...
  4. Brian Kehlmeier

Gluing Acrylic Shower Walls to Painted Drywall

I just used the Fuze-It on the back two panels a few hours ago; performed very well. Instantly grabbed yet I could still push the panels to adjust. I taped the edges but I'm not sure it was needed. After a couple of hours, I tried to pull a corner back and there is no getting that thing off. I'm...
  5. Brian Kehlmeier

I have not performed any testing, but Loctite did confirm over the phone that the paint would need to be completely removed via sanding; down to the paper. I sanded a small area with an orbital sander but the mess was not worth continuing. Liquid Nails (also over the phone) suggested using...
  6. Brian Kehlmeier

I am installing this shower kit and realized that I should not have primed and painted the mildew resistant drywall, but that ship has sailed. https://www.lowes.com/pd/DreamLine-Infinity-Z-White-3-Piece-36-in-x-60-in-x-79-in-Base-Wall-Door-Rectangular-Alcove-Shower-Kit-Left-Drain/5014370029...
  7. Brian Kehlmeier

How to fix lack of shower drop ear?

All the planning in the world, and somehow my DIY decision making went awry. Instead of using a drop ear that would allow me to screw in a shower arm, I simply stubbed out the 1/2" copper with an elbow, while securing the pipe to a cross backer board below. Do I need to cut out the drywall or...
  8. Brian Kehlmeier

DWV Vacuum Test - How I did it.

Here in Columbus, it's either 10 feet or water or 2psi of vacuum pressure. I just passed my inspection yesterday.
  9. Brian Kehlmeier

Confused about the 10 foot head DWV test

Adding this thread of reference: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/dwv-vacuum-test-how-i-did-it.106669/
  10. Brian Kehlmeier

DWV vacuum test

For those needing more guidance and the parts required, see my thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/dwv-vacuum-test-how-i-did-it.106669/
  11. Brian Kehlmeier

DWV Vacuum Test - How I did it.

This site has been incredible to me for years and here is my chance to contribute. Here in Columbus, OH, positive pressure testing is not available for rough inspection and in my case, I did not want to perform a test with water as failure would result in water damage to the existing interior...
  12. Brian Kehlmeier

Okay to use Pex B for a new addition?

I have decided to definitely run the hot run diagonally. I was hoping to drill the holes diagonally as well, but that is not looking like an easy thing to accomplish. I wanted to drill them at an angle so that I could use insulation pipe to protect the PEX. How necessary is this? I see every...
  13. Brian Kehlmeier

Long-term longevity of suspect sweat joints

I find sweating copper very easy to do, yet these large mass brass fittings always give me trouble. I used Oatey's No 9 tinned flux to sweat a shower valve and 3 of the 4 joints give me worry. I am not sure if the flux burns off, but I could see it bubble then stop. I don't recall much smoke...
  14. Brian Kehlmeier

I plan on 1/2" copper tee, to pex, then straight run to the shower with 1/2" PEX. I could always replace with 3/4" if the flow or pressure is off.
  15. Brian Kehlmeier

yeah... I'm OCD, but I could really shorten the run. It's in a unfinished part of the basement that will never be finished so I figure why not.
  16. Brian Kehlmeier

I have decided to run diagonal lines to reduce the waiting time for hot water. When running through joists, should I use abrasion plugs?
  17. Brian Kehlmeier

I am down to the last part of my room addition; the supply lines. I have always used copper, but my friend has a Pex B crimp tool and I know it would be a huge time saver, plus less time in the crawl space. I currently have 3/4" supply coming into the house that feeds the water heater. Every...
  18. Brian Kehlmeier

Installing shower drain and closet flange before rough inspection?

I am nearing the end of my DWV install and terminating the closet and shower drains are confusing me. I do have access to the crawl space under both fixtures. I tend to overthink things, but I can't seem to convince myself it will be easy. I have a stainless steel flange that will fit over...
  19. Brian Kehlmeier

Maximum vent length for new addition

Based on the 3" soil stack, I need at least 1-1/2 vent and it can only run 42'. I believe that I need to upsize to 2" so that I can overcome both the distance limitation to the roof vent and the 1/3 maximum vent run being horizontal. Issue is I can't overcome the 1-1/2 to 2" hub in the attic...
  20. Brian Kehlmeier

Maximum vent length for new addition

Sleeping on it; didn't even think about the horizontal run vs vertical run ratio. 58 feet total length with only 22 feet vertical isn't going to work anyways from what I have read in other posts. (1/3 ratio)
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks