Search results

1. Troodon

Acrylic Shower Install: Caulk and Other Issues

Thanks for the tips about the handle. I'll check out the grommet and plastic holder issues when I go up Thursday. I ended up finding Dap 3.0 white caulk, after a long search. We decided a potentially yellowing caulk is better than leaks, after reading some other threads on the forum concerning...
  2. Troodon

Thanks TR, yes you nailed that last part on the head. He's proud of his kingdom, and scorns things like reading directions, cleaning up after his work, and following manufacturer recommendations -- what he refers to as "fancy stuff." He did use one of my bath towels for some heavy grease...
  3. Troodon

Thanks for the thorough reply. I just got back from being at the cabin where this is, and meeting the plumber again to finish his horrible hack job. I could go on and on. Nearly every thing he touched ended up wrong. A few thousand dollars of misery. I'll re-do the caulking, at least on the...
  4. Troodon

Hello, I recently had a Delta Classic 400 installed (or halfway installed) by a plumber. ISSUE 1 The caulk he used was this (on the right): The caulk job is not good: I'm going to re-do it. I noticed that the caulk he used, toting "easy water clean-up," is not recommended in the manual...
  5. Troodon

Bathroom Sink Drain Assembly and Toilet Supply Line

So I bought the extension, but didn't end up using it. I'm keeping it around just in case. The 1 1/4 inch tailpiece extended into the 1 1/2 inch p-trap about 3/4 inch below where the nut locks them together. I should have asked what the prevailing wisdom was about how far the tailpiece should...
  6. Troodon

Ah OK, got it now. Yes, the trap is a bigger diameter than the 1-1/4" tailpiece. I'll get a couple of those reducing washers for this and any future uses.
  7. Troodon

Apologies for ignorance, but I'm a little confused now. The extension I bought is a 1-1/4 inch extension. When you guys say 1.5 inch, what are you referring to? Mr. Tee, I guess I didn't understand what you meant when you said "1 1/2" plastic is price performer." I should have asked, probably...
  8. Troodon

Does that reducing washer go between the tailpiece and the extension? If so, it seems the extension came with one: Or does it go where the extension joins with the ABS p-trap? If that's the case, I was going to re-use the washer that's in there (between the brass-looking nut and the ABS...
  9. Troodon

Got the drain assembly and the extension this morning. Will try it out on Thursday at the cabin. Thanks again.
  10. Troodon

OK, thanks. I was hoping something like this would work for the drain, if only because it's all in one package: Oatey 1 1/4 Drain Assembly
  11. Troodon

I was removing a tiny pedestal sink in our cabin in preparation for new flooring being put down next week. When I started to move the sink, the drain broke. You can see where the crack was, at about the 0.5" mark. The drain goes down into an ABS p-trap. Are these pretty standard to replace, and...
  12. Troodon

Toilet Gasket Problem

I installed it a few days ago, worked perfectly. Thanks again.
  13. Troodon

Cabin Repair Questions

Thanks, I'll look into the water heater issues. We'll likely have it replaced at some point. It's a 1982 model, and something in that cabin is sucking electrical power big-time when I'm there. As to the galvanized, the only pipe I know of at the cabin is the one in the foreground of the first...
  14. Troodon

Cabin Repair Questions

There are mice, squirrels of many varieties, and chipmunks. No rats. PEX-A (Upunor) seems to be the preferred material among others I know up there, and they don't have any problems with rodent chewing. That's the route we will be going. The whole place really needs to be re-plumbed, in my view...
  15. Troodon

Cabin Repair Questions

Yes, it's the first black piece you encounter on the way down from the tailpiece. It definitely all fits together. It only occurred to me later that maybe it's not good to have PVC going into an ABS nut. Something like copper and galvanized.
  16. Troodon

Cabin Repair Questions

Thanks, I got it installed. The paper washer and lock nut aren't totally centered to the underside of the rubber gasket, but it seems not to leak. Hope that's OK. I stopped the sink and filled it a few times to let lots of water run through, no problems. The first day I couldn't get the old...
  17. Troodon

Toilet Gasket Problem

Ashby Plumbing Supply didn't have anything that looked good, but Pastime had a very promising-looking beveled sponge gasket in their bulk-bin washer section. I got 2, just in case. The I.D. of the gasket is maybe 0.25 inches smaller than the O.D. of the pipe going down from the toilet tank, but...
  18. Troodon

Toilet Gasket Problem

Thanks, I'll head to Berkeley tomorrow and check those places out.
  19. Troodon

Toilet Gasket Problem

Our cabin has a toilet (Brand: Olmos, made in Uruguay) that needs a new tank-to-bowl gasket. I couldn't find any info online for Olmos toilets. It was leaking out the back, and the gasket I took off looked corroded. Not knowing what I was doing, I just measured the opening and figured the most...
  20. Troodon

Frost Heave Effect on Toilet Drain

Has anyone dealt with frost heave on a toilet drain pipe? I have a toilet drain which goes straight down into the soil, and then (I think) makes a 90-degree turn underground, and meets the main drain line of the cabin in shallow ground about 10 feet away, and 10 feet outside the cabin. The soil...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks