Search results

1. JohnCT

Replacing non backwashing Clack valve with Fleck manual backwashing valve?

I installed an acid neutralizing tank in my well system several years ago to bring my water pH up (it does). My water is otherwise without issues which is great. This tank has the manual two handle Clack valve on top with no backwashing facility. The problem is that periodic cleaning of the...
  2. JohnCT

Recommendation for sediment filter for hydronic heat

I'm looking for a recommendation for a small sediment filter to take some rust out of my hydronic heating system. I just lost a circulator and think it's because of sediment buildup from a previous leak (now repaired) that caused too much makeup water and resulting rust. Thanks. John
  3. JohnCT

Temptrol advice

I'm going to be replacing both of my 30 year old Temptrol shower valves while doing some other work, and was wondering about the "service" ports. My existing shower valves have them and I've never used them because I'm afraid they might leak if I twiddle with them, so I always turn off the...
  4. JohnCT

Ball valve recommendation for acidic well water

For the second time in about 4 years, I need to change the ball valve that shuts off the water before my acid tank. The failure for both valves was the same - the shaft that turns the ball corrodes so the valve can't be completely shut off, and once an attempt has been made, it won't turn full...
  5. JohnCT

Opinions on short copper stubout life?

On this YouTube video, an experience repiper said he doesn't use copper stubouts anymore in PEX repipe jobs because they last as little as 8 years. Youtube Anyone else experience this? Is he talking about just the stubouts or is he talking about copper in general, or is he full of beans? John
  6. JohnCT

Firomatic valve on new tank.

Hi all, I'm replacing my heating oil tank this weekend, and was looking at different options for installing the firomatic valve. The new tank has a 1/2" NPT on the bottom, and my plan was to buy this and thread the new filter housing directly into it: This has the 1/2" NPT for the tank and...
  7. JohnCT

Replacing oil tank

I'm replacing my 275 gallon oil tank because it's just starting to "sweat" beads of oil on its belly, no real drips yet. Since black iron pipe and I don't get along, I was thinking about cutting the pipe in the middle and using a compression dresser coupler on the fill pipe (the vent already...
  8. JohnCT

Opinions of Amtrol Boilermate

I'm going to add an indirect to my boiler's DHW coil in the spring, and want to check some options. Hookup ease is one consideration but the biggest is durability. I know it's tough to weed through internet chaff but I've seen whispers of the current generation of Boilermate not being as...
  9. JohnCT

Kitchen faucets

The Sunday before Thanksgiving, I replaced the kitchen faucet because it was leaking externally (Moen single handle). Tired of constantly fixing it, I bought a Delta single side handle with the pull out sprayer that the wife liked. The cold water barely dribbled out while the hot flowed...
  10. JohnCT

Stupid question - toilet flappers

I was at mom's yesterday to replace the flapper on her 15 year old or so American Standard bowl. Last week, I had cleaned the seat with a scrunge to stop phantom flushes and it worked. The old flapper looked shot so I brought a new Korky one. After replacing it, it was reflushing about every...
  11. JohnCT

What exactly is a "trace" of smoke?

Beckett recommends first setting the air shutter for a trace of smoke (after verifying or setting the draft) but not zero smoke before testing for baseline CO2 or O2. On a typical Bacharach spot smoke tester, would that be a"2", "1" or somewhere between a "1" and the zero dot? I mean, a trace...
  12. JohnCT

New boiler problems.

I installed a new Slant/Fin Intrepid TR-30 1.10gph boiler this past weekend. When I fired it up, it ran beautifully for about 5 minutes when it started rumbling and flapping the damper. When I opened the sight door, it improved and the damper stopped flapping, but I could feel hot air puffing...
  13. JohnCT

Black pipe again..

I am going to be working with black iron NPT pipe when installing a boiler (all water connections) next weekend and will have about 10 connections in all, and I just know something will go wrong leak-wise. I've read the sticky at the top of this forum several times and anything else I can find...
  14. JohnCT

Putting new boiler up on blocks?

Is there any disadvantage for installing a new boiler on blocks, maybe 4 inches high? My concrete basement floor is perfectly flat and dry, but the new boiler has an inlet close to the floor, and as long as I'm going to change it, it might be easier to work on if it was up in the air a bit...
  15. JohnCT

Recommend a thermostatic mixing valve for DHW please.

My hot water comes from a tankless coil on my boiler, and the coil is currently directly outputted to the hot water line, so I want to add a mixing valve. If it matters, my showers are Simmons Temptrols and the rest of the fixtures are conventional. There are a lot of name brands like Watts...
  16. JohnCT

Flue Gas Analyzers

I've always had professionals set up any oil burner I've ever installed, repaired, or replaced, but I'll be experimenting with replacing nozzles in my new boiler. Instead of paying a pro for every nozzle I experiment with, I've been kicking around the idea of picking up an analyzer. For cost...
  17. JohnCT

Circulator location

Now that the weather's warm, I'm going to install the new boiler I bought three years ago.. My original boiler is a Thermodynamics that has two circulators and are on the low or return side. The Slant/Fin manual shows a drawing of the TR-30 boiler as having the circulator on top or the feed...
  18. JohnCT

Copper to PEX repipe layout question

A friend has a two story Colonial that has some pinhole issues (on a well like I am) and needs to repipe. We haven't opened his kitchen ceiling yet but what we do know is that there are two 3/4" copper pipes running from the basement to the second floor to service two full baths (one with two...
  19. JohnCT

Best fill valve?

I built my house in 1993, and it has (if you can believe this), three original toilet fill valves. Two of the three are starting to leak a bit, and it's time to replace them all.. or should I? I know Fluidmaster is the common replacement fill valve these days, but at my shop I've been...
  20. JohnCT

Septic tank too dry?

I had a company out to pump my septic tank this morning (no problems, just routine), and the guy said the tank was too dry and had my wife turn on all the faucets in the house and flush the toilets repeatedly. Well, that killed my pump (another guy is here changing the pump right now), but the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks