Search results

1. b33p3r

Huge Thanks You to All!!

Concerning the recent thread "Soldering brass to copper help....PLease!", I'm glad to announce that I can now solder the heavier, larger copper cast fittings thanks to all the advice I received here. I have one stubborn leak that I'll fix tomorrow and then I can fire up my wood boiler just...
  2. b33p3r

Soldering brass to copper help....PLease!

I was planning on buying a Mapp Gas kit. So torch would come with it. Mapp gas and solder that suits my soldering abilities and I should be good to go....right? Assuming I can use the torch properly.
  3. b33p3r

I'm ok with lead based solder if I can buy it? I'm using it on a closed heating system so I don't think it'll poison me or the kids. I still wonder how we are still alive with all the lead based products we grew up with?(Born in the early 60s)? Can't solder til Tuesday due to work schedule but I...
  4. b33p3r

HJ, Great Information! Thanks. I'm not sure what conventional solder is? 60/40 or something like that? I'm sure the guys at the plumbing supply will know. I'll have to give them crap for selling a rookie the 95/5 in the first place. 3/4" back on the Socket. Sorry. I know what I'm...
  5. b33p3r

Yes I am using the DIY bernzomatic propane simple flame kit. I will get map(spelling?) gas if that's what I need to do. I have soldered up to 1-1/4" copper pipe fittings with propane and never had problems. Also soldered shutoffs of the 3/4" size before without issues. I am not a professional...
  6. b33p3r

I really appreciate the replies. You are telling me the same thing others I know have told me so it must be me. I am using propane and a friend said try map gas. I'm hitting the (what is probably cast copper..shutoffs, drain valve T's, elbows to put an air eliminator on etc etc) fittings about...
  7. b33p3r

New install. No Water involved. Need to get outside wood boiler online but I am having a heck of a time soldering brass fittings to copper. I am cleaning copper and brass extremely well and pasting both. Heating the joint not the copper pipe. The solder eventually melts at the joint but does not...
  8. b33p3r

Taco 5000 mixing valve help

Recently installed a taco 5000-2 mixing valve in a radiant loop. My issue is the hot water is going in the Hot Inlet and Out the Cold inlet. It is also leaving the mixed outlet to the radiant loop but alot of the water is bypassing the loops and going directly to the return manifold. The...
  9. b33p3r

Odor in basement bathroom

Thanks Solsacre. I intend on getting it fixed right. Permit? probably not. I will still do the work myself if I'm capable. I do know and talk to a local plumber from time to time. He's usually too busy with all the commercial plumbing he does to find time for smaller jobs but I think I can coax...
  10. b33p3r

I just want to say thanks to everyone who took the time to help me. Although I didn't put the fix in place yet, I'm confident you have all asked the right questions and gave me the answer to my problem. It's appreciated more than you know! I hope I can help all of you sometime, although it...
  11. b33p3r

The only thing I believe the washer machine has to do with anything is that it's the only appliance that drains that much water at once. However, to answer your question, the washer machine is on the main floor(above the basement). The laundry room on the main floor has a 2" stack vent to...
  12. b33p3r

I agree a diagram would be wonderful. However everything is under the concrete floor so I don't have a diagram to supply. Now judging by the layout of the bathroom I can guess what I have: 1. a toilet connected directly to the 3" main. 2. A shower, probably 2"(?) drain connected to the 3"...
  13. b33p3r

Not everyone. I knew the vents were also used to supply air to prevent siphoning. I just used a mechanical vent because everything else is buried in concrete. Basically trial and error. For some odd reason it worked for 8 years. But not now. No harm done. I'd have the same amount of work...
  14. b33p3r

Thanks for the replies. Everything almost makes sense to me. I am not in the plumbing trades but not "totally" ignorant to plumbing. When my house was built, I told the contractor to rough plumb the basement for a bathroom. Well they did, but obviously without consideration for the vent system...
  15. b33p3r

Odor in basement bathroom. Started a year before we had to have our septic pumped. For the last year(clean septic) we still get this odor. Seems to only show up after clothes washer runs a few loads. Prior to septic cleaning, when washer was draining, , basement toilet would actually bubble up...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks