Search results

1. Mikesm

Need help to find out what is causing occasional cold showers

Interesting. The hot water loop should be running at 120 or less - that's the whole point of the tempering valve, so at the very far end of the loop it should not be that hot. We have a separate hot water return, but I didn't know there was a check valve installed at the far end somewhere. I...
  2. Mikesm

thanks for the replies everyone. i should point out that one of the symptoms is also not cold water from cold water faucets. This was caused by backflow into the cold line from the tank I think by thermal siphoning, but the recirc line plumbed where it is doesn't help. Is it common that the...
  3. Mikesm

Hi. We have 4 yr old house with a 80 gal HTP Phoenix gas hot water (the 160,000 BTU unit) and a backup HTP electric hot water heater (with the valves closed, so it's not part of this issue). The heater is set to run at 145 degrees, and it's output is connected to a Watts LFN170-M3 Commercial...
  4. Mikesm

High CO2 levels on top of the sewer ejector pump

No, no pit under the basement, just just a hole where the pump sits. It does eject effluent to a secondary tank, and that also has the drains from the first and 2nd floors going to it as well, and then another pump to the actual sewer. We do have french drains around the house, but that pump...
  5. Mikesm

High CO2 levels on top of the sewer ejector pump

Hi everyone. I have a strange problem that strange problem that I'm seeking help with. We built a new house in the SF Bay Area with a full basement and moved in back in 2019. It's a very tight house and very energy efficient. We have 2 parents and 4 kids, and even through with have 2 ERV's...
  6. Mikesm

Backflush interval on a 12x52 carbon filter tank

Just fine silt. Sounds like it was just not an adequate flushing of the system. I'll flush it for an hour and see what happens... thx mike
  7. Mikesm

Backflush interval on a 12x52 carbon filter tank

Hi everyone. As part of a new house build, we had a 12x52 whole house water filter tank with activated carbon installed. We moved in about 4 months ago, and everything had been working fine, but about 3 weeks ago, some fine carbon silt started coming out of the faucets. After inspecting the...
  8. Mikesm

Whole House water filtration

Hi everyone - this isn't about softening but water filtration. We're building a house and getting close to the end of that process, and I had the plumber plumb in a loop to install a whole house water filtration system in the garage. I have had experience with sediment coming in and causing...
  9. Mikesm

HTP/Westinghouse water heater options and question for a new house build

It does seem easier to just use a bigger unit. I think we'll go that way, though Home Depot doesn't carry the non-LD versions, so it may take more effort to get one. Why did you "actively hate" the idea? The complexity didn't seem that bad... :) thanks! mike
  10. Mikesm

So if my plumber tells me the HTP Phoenix LD 76-80 is not big enough, what would you think about coupling that with an RGH20-75F Crossover Floor unit? It would seem that if the Phoenix LD runs out of water, the crossover unit would be able to kick in up to 75K BTU more to boost temps and...
  11. Mikesm

Best tankless unit for a poolhouse

Hi. As part of a new home build, we are also building a poolhouse that can serve as a guest house as well. It has a small kitchen inside, and a outdoor shower as well as a shower in a bathroom that is accessible from the inside as well as from the pool. Due to the space limitations, we are...
  12. Mikesm

Navien recall

I haven't seen this posted here yet. https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/12/20/navien-tankless-water-heaters-boilers-recall-carbon-monoxide/ Mike
  13. Mikesm

Ok, I'll take a look and see if it can be incorporated... So funny no one here ever heard of it. Any advice on which type of HTP unit to go with? Mike
  14. Mikesm

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately most of the drains from the bathrooms don't go through the mechanical room out to the sewer - it wasn't plumbed that way, and none of the plumbers we talked to out here ever have put in such a system. The basement drains do go through the mechanical...
  15. Mikesm

Hi everyone... We're building a big house for our large family- 9000 sq ft, with 3 dishwashers, 6 showers, and 3 sets of laundry, and everyone loves having their hot water when they want it. The house is plumbed with a recirculating hot water system, but no radiant heat as that doesn't make a...
  16. Mikesm

DHW system for new large home

Oh, interesting - I would have thought the fresh water was not corrosive, but the heated water would be more so. If it's the opposite, then I can see why it would be a good idea to not have it in series, and why that little tank would wear out much faster. And if it's not any harder on the...
  17. Mikesm

Ok, that is not hard to do. But what about the approach of plumbing it in series with the HTP heater inlet, and use a bypass valve there and at the HTP outlet to bypass the HTP gas heater? The power would normally be switched off, and when going to emergency operation, you'd flip the bypass...
  18. Mikesm

Thanks, this is super helpful. The HTP Phoenix definitely sounds like the way to go. I have heard some bad stories about them, but I think many of them do appear to be DIY jobs or a plumber not used to installing them. Is there a difference between the HTP banded ones and the Westinghouse...
  19. Mikesm

Dana, thanks for the note. I did see the bigger Phoenix units, and they looked like they might be the answer. Are HTP units reliable? I was thinking if the HTP failed to start (I have seen complaints about them online), the tankless unit could heat up the water in the tank and the tank could...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks