Search results

1. Lois Lane

Advice on replumbing basement bath

Thanks! So a set up like this would not be problematic, other than getting a good solder joint to the old copper? (see drawing). Should I use pex or copper or it doesn't matter?
  2. Lois Lane

Advice on replumbing basement bath

So I disconnected the sink, toilet, and shower in the basement bath from the under-slab leaking pipes. I have run PEX from the main household supply through the bathroom ceiling and plan to run it down the back shower wall and hook it up to the water to the rest of the house (which runs under...
  3. Lois Lane

Copper water pipes in cement slab

Thanks all! I figured out that the water pipes go not only under the basement slab but then up half a story and under the walk out slab as well all the way to the back of the house before going up to the top level. Too big a job for me. For now I am just going to finish the bathroom. Luckily...
  4. Lois Lane

Thanks all. That is not the answer I was looking to hear. When I look at the water bill, (I didn't think to actually check the meter!) I figure the leaks are costing $10-$20 a month, but I also have a boiler for heat and some of the heating pipes go under the slab as well :mad:. Removeing and...
  5. Lois Lane

It's the weekend, and I am going at it again. Our final and last bathroom remodel. It is in the basement of a 1950's quad level. The water pipes to the top floor bathrooms run under the slab of the basement bathroom floor. I know they are leaking, but my water pressure is great. There was...
  6. Lois Lane

What the heck!

I see how I was being totally unclear. There is already a T in the supply line, but then there is a four elbow bendy piece of pipe to go in front of the stud rather than through it, and to put the line higher up because there is also a vent stack behind the vanity, that I originally did not...
  7. Lois Lane

Best shower caulk

I am far from an expert, but found that if I use as tiny little bead of silicone and smooth it with a water damp finger and minimual pressure I can get a beautiful smooth almost invisible bead. Corners present a little more challenge, but the problem is almost always too much silicone and too...
  8. Lois Lane

Feeling stupid- can't figure out how to turn on shower...

I don't have this faucet, but I really appreciate the observation (and subsequent documentation) that this post has probably helped scores if not hundreds of people. You never know when your small act of mercy or kindness will help someone else! I am leaving post it notes all over my house...
  9. Lois Lane

What the heck!

The hole is where the copper pipe is embedded in the plaster that squeezed through the lath. It is flush against the lath and the back of the steel vanity. It is also really hard to reach from the bedroom side of the wall because the other pipe is in the way on the other side of the wall. I...
  10. Lois Lane

What the heck!

I have not had much luck with sharkbite fittings, I am sure it was inexperience and operator error. If I make a bigger hole in the wall, I think I will have plenty of room to work without setting the house on fire. :oops: I also have one of those heat and flame resistant pads. I have come...
  11. Lois Lane

What the heck!

The hole is in the pipe right where it is embedded in the plaster and there is actually a wire holding the pipe onto the lath. It is also flush against the back of the vanity. I did not think I could repair it where it was. I don't know enough about plumbing to know if there was a reason they...
  12. Lois Lane

What the heck!

I finished putting in a new tile shower pan in my geriatric baby blue tile shower a few months ago. I also replaced the lead and oakum toilet flange, all the galvanized pipe from the tub, shower, and double sinks, the shutoff valves on the sinks and the toilet and the valves for the shower and...
  13. Lois Lane

When to replace old cast iron pipes

I like that answer and I think I agree. I looked at AAV (what a brilliant idea), but I don't have anyplace to provide an access at least 4 inches above the drain arm that would be unobtrusive, and I don't know if it is code in my area. Thanks for explaining the vent set up! I think I get it...
  14. Lois Lane

Just a diagram of what I think I am looking at. It is really hard to get to the hub, but it looks as if it is threaded. I understand the horizontal run of pipe cannot be sloped too much or a siphon will be created. I might be able to cut it off further back behind the first 45 degree elbow...
  15. Lois Lane

You are not kidding about cutting the galvanized pipe. My husband and I traded off and worked on each cut for about 20 minutes with a sawsall and a went through two new bi-metal 8/11 TPI "ultimate destruction" blades. Then when the elbow finally came off, it fell through the hole I had cut in...
  16. Lois Lane

If the shower leaks, the leak will be obvious pretty quickly, since it is over a finished lower level ceiling. If it leaks at the hub to the cast iron stack, it might be less obvious, because I think water will leak onto the tiled slab floor. The stack runs inside an interior gypsum board wall...
  17. Lois Lane

Yes, you are quite right. I should have said enameled cast iron!
  18. Lois Lane

But I LOVE this vintage blue tile bathroom with the marble Formica countertop and powder coated steel vanity! I almost cried when I had to replace the blue porcelain sinks that had started to rust through. I have already replaced two ugly late 1980's one piece acrylic showers in this house...
  19. Lois Lane

I have a vintage blue tile 1958 full bath with separate shower stall. Someone over 30 years ago had painted the floor and bottom two layers of tile with what looks like an epoxy or butyl rubber paint. Otherwise the shower looks great. However about 20 years ago the shower started leaking...
  20. Lois Lane

Hanging shower door

I love this forum! Thanks for the suggestion Jadnashua. I will look into it. My solution was redo the downstairs bathroom too, and use this shower door in there! My husband nixed that idea :(.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks