Search results

1. BirchwoodBill

Radiant Heat PEX recomendations

I recently installed warmboard through out the house during a remodel. Everything is Rehau, it works well. The floors are run between 85 to 105f on outdoor reset, using a taco XPB off the DHW tank. Very efficient.
  2. BirchwoodBill

Best Value/Most Reliable boiler?

My contractor installed a wm97 70 boiler, it is stainless steel not aluminum. I also replaced the slant fin in the basement with European style baseboard that keeps it warm using 120f to 140f water temperature. Properly sized components is the key to comfort. I hired a professional to size...
  3. BirchwoodBill

How to tune DHW settings for heat exchanger (taco XPB)

i have a WM 97 boiler and WM 85 gallon indirect tank. The tank is connected to a Taco XPB heat exchanger which supplies heat to radiant floor heating (warmboard). I also have a thermostatic valve which limits dhw at 127f. Right now, the tank is set to 145f. The sensor for the heat...
  4. BirchwoodBill

DHW Gas Bill cut in half? Is that possible?

Old system was Weil McLain cast iron 85% efficient with a triangle smart40 set at 125f. The new tank is set to 145f and with the thermostatic valve mix to 125f.
  5. BirchwoodBill

DHW Gas Bill cut in half? Is that possible?

New WM97 boiler and WM Aqua Plus 85 DHW tank was installed at the end of July. We also added Thermostatic valve . Being August - we were not running any heat - but I am seeing the therms cut in half? Our water usage was the same. I was expecting a reduction of 10-15% not 50%. Is this...
  6. BirchwoodBill

Hydronic Design in Toronto

I am in Minnesota which has design temp of -16f. Just installed warmboard infloor radiant and hardwood floors. The recommendation is to keep hardwood below 85F. You may want to insulate under the floors. I also added 3 inches of closed cell foam on my rim joists to reduce heat loss, plus...
  7. BirchwoodBill

Indirect as buffer

I am in process of upgrading from a 40 gallon to 85 gallon indirect, then running the dhw through a taco xpb to radiant manifold. Radiant is slated for 70 to 90 degree while the dhw is slated for 125 to 145 degrees. The dhw only needs to supply 120f water to the household. Be sure to do...
  8. BirchwoodBill

Reason to Pull Check Valves out of Recirculation Pumps

Interviewing contractors for replacement project. was told it is common practice when using a circuit with zone valves. It cuts down on flow loss.
  9. BirchwoodBill

Reason to Pull Check Valves out of Recirculation Pumps

I am reviewing the one document done by the last professional who installed the Warmboard manifold 18 months ago. He walked off the job with the heat not running leaving me to hire another person to install new valves to bleed the air out of the system. Two of the three Honeywell Zone Valves...
  10. BirchwoodBill

Boiler Evaluation Criteria?

Thanks for the help - my DIY Heatload spreadsheet is updated in the PDF - showing the impact of more insulation in the attic and a small amount of closed cell form on the Rim joist (which is part of the Warmboard insulation). I am starting to dig into the plumbing for low temperature...
  11. BirchwoodBill

Thanks for the help on the model. Will update my spreadsheet. VHE-4 Boiler Input is 100K, DOE Gross is 87K and IBR Net is 75.7K - AFUE is 87.1% - side-vented. A little bit under 1.9.
  12. BirchwoodBill

The basement walls just have latex paint, so things breath. HDD was 1515 Here is the math I put into the spreadsheet (Shown as attached PDF)... Spreadsheet calculates: Therms/Day = Therms / Billing Days = 256 / 32 = 8.0 Therms/Day The next call converts to BTUh = (Therms * 100,000 BTU...
  13. BirchwoodBill

1986 Andersen High Performance Glass for AW and CW U-Factor is 0.30 2003 Andersen Series 400 Awning Casement HP Low E, U-Factor 0.28 2003 Andersen Series 400 Flexi-Frame , U-Factor is 0.27 The original Manual-J was based on - design temp of -16F and with standard U-Factor of 0.52 Our house...
  14. BirchwoodBill

When I ordered the Andersen windows back in 1986 I did get the early version of their "performance-glass" - still have the original catalog. Spend a few years working for Andersen on optimizing their production lines. Good product, good company. Just got the heat bill for January into...
  15. BirchwoodBill

The house 2500 sq ft includes the basement. The basement foundation has 1 inch foam on exterior and 2x4 walls with r13 it is heated to 68f. First and second floor is 2x6 construction with R19 and Andersen series 400 awning and casement. Attic is encapsulated with 2 inch closed cell foam...
  16. BirchwoodBill

I have ran several models on the HeatLoad for the Central Heating (CH): Heat Load Pro is 48K /32K (The 32K is without air leakage) Dana's method using Energy Bill shows a max of 27K with a min of 3K for the 0 HDD Weil McLain replacement kit is 56K. Original Manual-J from 1986...
  17. BirchwoodBill

Recommended Hydronic designers in MSP Area?

I am compiling a list of designers/installers for a new Boiler/Hot Water Heater on the Saint Paul side of MSP. Need to select someone to design a system to replace my 32 year old Weil McLain VHE Series 4 (80 BTUh) with a Triangle Tube 45 Ga indirect tank. Downloaded my energy bill which has...
  18. BirchwoodBill

Anyone using HHT Econ or Smith low temp baseboard?

First thanks to everyone who answers questions here, I am learning a lot. I am starting to plan a boiler replacement to coincide with a remodeling effort. I have started with the original manual j calculations done in 1986 ... which shows 59k BTUh. Since the original construction in 1986...
  19. BirchwoodBill

Planning project

Planning project
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks