Search results

1. Rossn

Plumbed Coffee Makers (residential)

Hoping you all can shed some very high level info on the topic of plumbed coffee makers for me. Admittedly, I'm not a coffee drinker, but my wife is. She doesn't have a plumbed coffee maker now, but as part of the remodel wants to be able to accommodate one in the future. She doesn't have one...
  2. Rossn

Energy Management and Over-current situations

The questions: 1) Given an instantaneous 50A load (makeup air heater), what is a reasonable tripping threshold to target for an energy management system overseeing a 200A OCPD? If it was set to 150A, then the EMS would not benefit me because it is not providing extra capacity. At 160%, it is...
  3. Rossn

Residential Service Entrance Conductor Temperature Rating to Use for Capacity and 2017 NEC 310.15(B)(7)

Hi, I am going through a capacity review in advance of some significant changes to electrical demands in the dwelling, and needing to confirm my service capacity, based on design... after that I can get into load calcs. I have a ticket in with the POCO, but they may only discuss up through the...
  4. Rossn

Anyone know what neutralized boiler condensate contains?

We are on septic and the condensing boiler we are looking to put in will neutralize the output. However, we also have a mature apple tree with fruit we eat, that is close-to, and likely drinks from the septic leach field. Any idea what neutralized boiler (natural gas) condensate contains and if...
  5. Rossn

25-year old Burnham 208NS-TEI5 - parts availability and longevity

Hi, I have a 25-year old Burnham 208NS-TEI5 that still appears to be burning cleanly and without known issues - however we have some complexities that may nudge us towards replacement with a higher efficiency boiler. On this series and age of a boiler, can I expect to still be able to get...
  6. Rossn

Bidet Seats and Practical Circuit Needs

I'm posting here, instead of the electrical forum, as I think more plumbers would have gotten feedback on actual functional issues. TLDR: Wiring 5 toilets as part of the remodel. Has anyone seen practical issues or have safety concerns with either: a) putting a tank or tankless bidet seat on...
  7. Rossn

septic pump and control circuits - best practices and code

Can anyone clarify requirements and best practices around residential septic circuits? The current dwelling septic tank has one dedicated circuit for pump and controls/alarm. The local septic company indicated two circuits are customary. Here is what I've come to understand so far, please...
  8. Rossn

Interaktiv Shower Column - cool to hot, no in-between

Hi All, I have a Hansgrohe Interaktiv shower column (like the one shown below) with thermostatic mixing valve. I'm guessing it is from 2005 Recently, the temperatures started malfunctioning... when turning the temperature control, it goes from low 90's to 107 or so, with a minute adjustment...
  9. Rossn

Future use washer box - to tee and valve or rough and plug?

Re-plumbing some lines to the pantry. Prior owner plumbed a secondary (upstairs) location in the pantry for a washer/dryer, in case they were in the house when aging. Thus, the washer/dryer box is not actively in use... it is 'future use', and I would not foresee it in use in the next 15 years...
  10. Rossn

How to keep an ABS kitchen drain quiet?

How do I keep the kitchen drain quiet? I will be popping up through the subfloor into the kitchen sink cabinet in the bay left of the capped ABS. The room below is a multi-use movie room, which we're trying to keep quiet, and I am sure there will be movies rolling when, for instance, the...
  11. Rossn

Any feedback on Delta workstation kitchen sinks (or recommended alternatives)?

Has anyone seen the Delta workstation sinks in-person, and if so - what did you like or dislike about them? In particular Rivet or Lorelai in a 45" length. We were looking for a 40" sink, and with Delta, after 33" they jump up to a giant 45" model. We figure more space to bury dishes during...
  12. Rossn

1-1/4" residential gas line - potentially stressed

As part of rebuilding my home, some 1-1/4" black iron for natural gas was run to the utility room. It was run in the middle 1/3 of the 2x8 joists and is a pretty tight fit (see below). It's not possible to remove or re-insert new rigid pipe at this juncture. The gas line runs parallel and close...
  13. Rossn

Toe kick saws and staples

Does anyone know for fact if toe kick saws designed to cut through staples, or do they kick back or wreck a blade when they hit a staple? 1960's home with extensive stapling of the red oak hardwoods... most likely I would encounter a few. Staples are old-school.
  14. Rossn

Which option is better for a steam oven drain?

We are looking to add a small combi steam oven to our kitchen during remodel, and found a gaggenau highly discounted. Install manual calls for min 1.6 ID drain, which says to me 1.5" abs min. Two options for running the drain: 1) extend a drain for a bar sink, which is downstairs... not the...
  15. Rossn

Is my wax ring likely to fail?

Could use a little guidance... thank you in advance Background Installed a Toto Nexus, with the Unifit connector. My metal flange was on the subfloor with about 1" (maybe 7/8") of backboard and tile, bringing finished floor above the flange. Did all the reading here and went with the two wax...
  16. Rossn

Bidet Receptacle Location - ever see them 'behind' the toilet (yet accessible)?

For those that have seen a number of bidet seat installs, do you ever see the dedicated receptacles tucked slightly behind the toilet (within the width of the tank, but lower), instead of out to the side? I believe NEC only requires it be readily accessible, and this will be with a Toto Nexus...
  17. Rossn

Repair or Replace Frozen Yard / Frost-Free Hydrant

The forecast said 37, and I shouldn't have believed it... got down to 27 and the yard hydrant fractured. I'm not sure the age of this one (probably 80's), and the supply line is likely at least 3-4' down... most likely not the sanitary design. Is it easy to locate parts and repair the head, or...
  18. Rossn

3" cleanout behind vanity - what types of vanities can I get away with?

Would IPC/IRC permit a free-standing vanity that is not attached to the wall be removed to access a 3" cleanout behind it? Safe to assume the cleanout will be visible under the vanity. If not, what ideas do you have? This is remodel, so I assume the county will give some leeway. Details: Have...
  19. Rossn

Do watersense (2.0GPM) rain shower heads work respectably?

We are deciding between a rain shower head with hand shower vs a traditional shower head, and likely using the Hansgrohe line (which is awful awkward to navigate). Local code requires watersense compliant fixtures. It looks like most of the rain shower heads are pretty high flow... like 4GPM+...
  20. Rossn

Need some guidance on shower fixture layout

I have 3 bathrooms under remodel, shown below. 1 with tub/shower combo, and (2) 3/4 baths. My wife picked out this hansgrohe Unica Raindance handshower wall bar (not yet purchased) and these Hansgrohe Ecostat Classic 2-zone trims with volume control and 2-zone diverters (already purchased) The...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks