Search results

1. LikeABigFriedEgg

No condensate from Lennox AC

How much water are you getting out of your dehumidifier and how much are you running it?
  2. LikeABigFriedEgg

Can't get furnace fan to turn off

whoops, thank you
  3. LikeABigFriedEgg

Okay, I think I'm getting the idea that the fan gets power through the relay or through the blower control module. Also that in heat mode the fan operates completely in response to the temp in the flue [correction: inside the heat exchanger], without needing a fan signal from the tstat. Next...
  4. LikeABigFriedEgg

"When the fan is stuck on and I try to turn it off and on from the tstat, I can hear a distant sound that I suppose is the fan relay operating as it should downstairs, but the fan just keeps running." I didn't mention it before, but the fan has started running on its own at least once, and then...
  5. LikeABigFriedEgg

https://inspectapedia.com/heat/Fan_Limit_Switch_Guide.php It looks like nowadays they put three functions (fan-on, fan-off, and fan-limit) into a single module. Mine has two modules to do the three functions, the fan-limit (safety gas shutoff) being handled by one module, and the fan-on and...
  6. LikeABigFriedEgg

Yes, that is a slider set to about 82. Zooming in on the picture, I see that the knob is marked "DIFF. INCREASE" and with an arrow pointing counterclockwise, presumedly for setting the difference between two temperatures. NOS replacements are plentiful enough on ebay for around $50, under...
  7. LikeABigFriedEgg

I have an intermittent problem that my furnace fan sometimes runs when it shouldn't, and the only way to stop it is to shut off power to the whole system, thermostat and everything. It's happened a few times over maybe a couple years, I think. Last time was a couple days ago when it was stuck...
  8. LikeABigFriedEgg

Repair kit for Brasscraft multi-turn right-angle valve?

Can I buy a separate bibb washer or remove one from a new plastic stem and install the new washer on the existing brass valve stem?
  9. LikeABigFriedEgg

Yes, I found chunks just like that in the drained water.
  10. LikeABigFriedEgg

Thank you. Of course ... it's right there under Home/Plumbing/Plumbing Accessories/Repair Clamps. I would like to reuse my brass valve stem. Would it work to transfer the washer from the plastic replacement stem to the existing brass stem? Or could I buy the washers only? Sometimes the...
  11. LikeABigFriedEgg

Do I just go by the physical dimensions of the washers? Looks like the washer that stops flow (bib washer?) is 3/16" ID and about 1/2" OD and around 7/64" thick. Should this be flat or conical? The old one is reduced to little chunks. The washer around the shaft of the stem is about 11/32"...
  12. LikeABigFriedEgg

I would like to repair a Brasscraft 1/2" FIP x 3.8" compression multi-turn right-angle valve. The bib washer has dried and cracked and fallen apart. Can I get an overhaul kit for this valve? If I could get two or three kits for the price of a whole valve, I would rather do that than get a new...
  13. LikeABigFriedEgg

Removing a plastic plug stuck in a 2" cast-iron cleanout tee

I heated the cast iron, but I couldn't get the plastic to turn. Well, I did get part of the plastic to turn: the plastic must have gotten heated near the square nut, and I sheared the nut off the rest of the plastic plug. I used a hacksaw blade to cut in from the broken-open center of the...
  14. LikeABigFriedEgg

Removing a plastic plug stuck in a 2" cast-iron cleanout tee

Hey everybody, I want to snake a drain line, through a cast-iron cleanout tee just above my basement floor. The inlet to the tee is a vertical 1-1/2" copper line about 8 feet high. The cleanout has a 2" black plastic plug. I tried to remove the plug by turning it with an adjustable wrench...
  15. LikeABigFriedEgg

Increasing the slope of a drain from level copper to sloped PVC

Sorry for the delayed response. I had a couple other dragons to slay. I've mostly wrapped up this drain replacement. Here I'll try to tie up a few loose ends. We used a 2" hole saw to vertically enlarge most of the holes that needed to be vertically enlarged. The existing holes were 2". We...
  16. LikeABigFriedEgg

I'm close to finishing this job, which includes replacing the sink traps. Is the slope of a P trap horizontal section also supposed to be 1/4" per foot? I am not seeing how to give it slope when the sink tail pipe is vertical.
  17. LikeABigFriedEgg

Is there a code requirement for slope in drains? Both this kitchen-sink drain line and one of the bathroom-sink drain lines have zero slope. I can see that zero-slope is bad for copper, but what about PVC?
  18. LikeABigFriedEgg

Okay, between the banded coupling and some slightly crooked joints, I guess I can get enough slope. Really I don't know why there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a 1.2-degree elbow.
  19. LikeABigFriedEgg

I wouldn't expect the couplings to bend, just that the pipe could go into the coupling a little out of line and yet not leak.
  20. LikeABigFriedEgg

The holes seem pretty uniform in their distances from the front edges of the studs. And I find that a 1.5" PVC pipe wollers around in them pretty good, except for in the king stud. [edited: I mistakenly referred to jack stud.] I'm not shoving a long pipe through the holes from one end. I'm...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks