Search results

1. Smith333

Fleck 5810SXT bizarre behavior

A few weeks ago I changed some master settings on my softener's Fleck 5810SXT. The next day, I noticed that the "gallons remaining" on the display was 10 gallons HIGHER than it was the day before. The day after, it was another 18 gallons higher. Over the next few days I investigated and ruled...
  2. Smith333

Replace cast iron?

I'm preparing to finish my basement, and am wondering if it would be wise to replace this cast iron pipe that drains part of the house to the septic line outside. It has some crusty rust that concerns me. Some look wet but weren't when I took the photos. It hasn't been touched since the house...
  3. Smith333

Day Override setting

I purchased a water softener with a Fleck 5810Sxt controller for a 3 bathroom house that is currently occupied by one person. Since the capacity of the softener will not be needed until the house is sold, I would like to set the Day override setting as high as possible to save on salt. My...
  4. Smith333

What is holding these copper pipes together?

I recently inherited a house that was built in 1986. While snooping around I found this section of pipe that at first glance looks like someone forgot to solder. Looking closer, each joint is covered with a clear hard substance which I'm assuming is some kind of epoxy. Luckily, this technique...
  5. Smith333

Cap pipe or replace fitting

I am adding a water softener to my house but first have to alter the plumbing since the house is not currently plumbed for a softener. In one location a tee that services two bathrooms also services an outdoor faucet that I don't want softened. When I cut out the 1/2" line to the faucet...
  6. Smith333

Draining softener into a sealed sump pit

I would like to add a water softener to my house, but my sump pit is sealed for a radon system. If I wanted the softener to drain to this sump pit, how could this be accomplished without breaking the seal? I was thinking I could add a standpipe with a trap, but I'm not sure if the trap would be...
  7. Smith333

Do I have a potential gas leak?

Yesterday I decided to turn off the water heater (the only active natural-gas using appliance in the house) and see if the gas meter would register any gas use over the next 24 hours. At the end of this time period, the "half foot" dial had moved approximately 10 degrees. By my calculations...
  8. Smith333

Anode rod replacement surprise

I recently replaced the anode rod in my 6-year old water heater. The old one was mostly intact, but it was covered in scale. I found this to be surprising because I've had a functioning water softener the entire time. I do periodic titration tests to make sure the softener is working, and have...
  9. Smith333

Clack WS1 question

I have a 12 year old softener powered by a Clack WS1. The entire time it has been set up to refill the brine tank 2 hours before a regeneration begins. I would like to change this so that it refills the brine tank instead at the conclusion of a regeneration. I went into the set up and changed...
  10. Smith333

EMT run shared by two panels

I have a 200 amp service panel and a 100 amp subpanel. The neutral bonding screw in the subpanel is removed. I'm running some new EMT in the basement from the subpanel for some new outlets. The layout affords me the opportunity to also use this new EMT to extend a lighting circuit in an...
  11. Smith333

Reusing 1" flare adapter

The water pipe in my 30 year old house is all copper...except for the galvanized pipe and fittings that service the pressure tank. I would like to replace pressure tank and the galvanized piping, but am wondering if I can reuse the 1" flare joint/adapter on the copper service line. Or should...
  12. Smith333

7 year old softener problems

I have a 7 year old softener that I bought online from a forum member with a clack ws-1 and 1.5 cuft of resin. It has worked great during that time, until a week ago. I was taking a shower and immediately noticed the water was not soft. Afterwards I did a hach hardness test, which showed that...
  13. Smith333

Static Level

This spring I made note that our Sta-Rite 10p40D02J submersible had a max production of 7.5 gpm at 46psi. The well is 300ft, casing is 6" steel, the pump is set at 165', and the static level was last determined to be 75ft (years ago). Over the past three days I used approximately 2500 gallons...
  14. Smith333

Pitless adapter info

Our well has a MAASS 1" Model B pitless adapter that was installed in the mid 1970's on a 6" steel casing. The only information I've been able to find about it, is that it is a weld-on type. What are the chances that it is still in good condition after 35 or so years? Are there special tools...
  15. Smith333

partially blocked submersible pump

Our well is about 300ft with a pump positioned about 150ft down. In 1999 the pump was replaced and a sanitary seal put in place. Prior to this, the well cap was loose and bugs got into the well. There have been no problems since, until today. I was filling our spa for the first time this season...
  16. Smith333

Compression joint leak

I've installed 5 compression joints in a system on copper pipe, and after pumping it up with air to 60 psi, three of the joints are leaking slightly and it seems like no matter how tight I make them, they continue to leak, as evidenced by tiny bubbles around the top of the joint when sprayed...
  17. Smith333

Grounding after changing to plastic service line

My #4AWG main grounding wire terminates with a clamp on my galvanized service pipe just before it leaves the house and goes out to the well, which is about 15 feet outside the house. The house plumbing is all copper. If I replace the galvanized service line with polyethylene, could I extend the...
  18. Smith333

Torquing hose clamps for poly connections

How much torque should be applied to the hose clamps for insert connections on 3/4" 200 Psi polyethylene? I know that fernco fittings are torqued to 60in-lbs, but I can't find anything pertaining to poly.
  19. Smith333

Rust in water, galvanized service pipe

We've noticed an increasing amount of rust flakes in our water lately, and I'm starting to suspect its coming from the galvanized pipe that connects the pitless adapter to the tank tee. This is the only galvanized pipe in the whole system, with the house plumbing being copper and the galvanized...
  20. Smith333

Polyethylene sizing for general watering needs

Next spring I would like to bury about 220 ft of PE in the yard for general watering needs. This will replace an equal length of garden hose that has to be removed everytime the lawn is cut. The line starts flat, then goes downhill, with the outlet being about 10 feet lower than the source...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks