Search results

1. djdavenport

Help with New Navien 210 Combi Boiler

Well, I'm glad you were able to throw some real diagnostics at it. Much more confidence-inspiring than my nose.
  2. djdavenport

Help with New Navien 210 Combi Boiler

I have a two-year-old NCB240e and it has always had a slight odor--generally in the area you describe. It's not a natural gas smell, but more like faint bakelite odor. Kind of plasticky. Ours loafs along at about 117 degrees on the coldest days, so it's not like it's ever nuclear hot. But...
  3. djdavenport

Adding WIFI to NCB-240E

Don't really know. I kind of assumed you probably need to buy the whole kit from Navien. Available online for around $220.
  4. djdavenport

Adding WIFI to NCB-240E

I think then you're pretty well "plug and play." You'll just have to program the NaviLink unit to recognize your WiFi router. (And, of course, download the app.) The manual is available on the Navien website, so you can read up on it and see if it seems like something you want to tackle. It...
  5. djdavenport

NCB-240E with DHW - what is inside pump for?

Take a look at this diagram (sixth one down) which shows a single zone with its own circulator pump. Notice the closely spaced tees. That is the typical P/S install. Does your unit have that? Or does the supply come straight from the unit into the external pump...
  6. djdavenport

So, the supply side of the heater comes out of the combi and goes straight to the second pump? IOW, they are in series? I don't know if maybe the installer thought that the internal pump wasn't sufficient to provide adequate flow to the system and needed to add another locomotive to the train...
  7. djdavenport

I think Navien strongly recommends that your combi is piped primary/secondary, which mean you need two pumps, the one in the unit itself and an external circulator pump. That system allows the two loops to work independently of each other, such that the demand of the radiators in the house on...
  8. djdavenport

Adding WIFI to NCB-240E

I don't think installation is that difficult. I've looked through the manual and it seems pretty straight forward. HOWEVER, you need to check the date of manufacture. I think if your combi was manufactured after March 2016, you're ready to go. (check the website to be sure...and it will tell...
  9. djdavenport

External recirculating pump

Our house was set up with a circulating system, so when they installed my tankless--it's actually a combi--they also put in a 10 gallon electric water heater downstream of the tankless, isolated with check valves. The pump--it's a bronze Taco 006--recirculates the water through the electric...
  10. djdavenport

Taco 007e "Green" mode

Yeah, except the guy that told me that was named Murphy. Thanks, Dana.
  11. djdavenport

Taco 007e "Green" mode

Yep. It is piped primary/secondary and the circulation pump is on the secondary supply side. It was about as cold as it generally gets around here, and the temperature in the house hasn't budged a degree, despite the 007e operating in the "eco" mode, so I think I'll just not worry about it. I...
  12. djdavenport

Taco 007e "Green" mode

We have radiant floor heating with a condensing combi boiler with three zones. Zone valves. The circulator is a Taco 007e I put in about a year ago. I've got the ODR curve dialed in pretty close such that, during the coldest days, the boiler loafs along, often all day. It's been working...
  13. djdavenport

Navien Combination Hot Water Heater / Boiler

I think, armed with what you know (and what Dana has shared), I'm not sure I would be too afraid of going with the Navien recommended installer. I think the installation for the various flavors is basically the same. You now know what size would be appropriate, so you can call your own shot on...
  14. djdavenport

Stupid-attacks, indeed. Nothing against old school, but the current state-of-the-art equipment compared to the old stuff is the difference between a DC-3 and a Dreamliner. Stick and rudder versus fly by wire. Lots of sensors and processing power, and a fair amount of "dialing things in" to...
  15. djdavenport

Not a technical response--just an observation. We have a 2,100 sq foot house. Design temperature here is about 16 degrees (IIRC). We have a NCB-240E. The heating is high mass radiant floor heating. The boiler most times just loafs along, at minimum firing rate. (We're a family of two, so...
  16. djdavenport

Basement floor seepage and my boiler

Post hoc ergo prompter hoc. It's a classic. But by sleuthing around a little, you can probably figure it out. Is the water coming from the boiler? Well, is the boiler losing pressure? Do you have an auto-feed system that might be disguising the fact that you're losing water? If so, shut it...
  17. djdavenport

Navien NCB-240E Pressure Dropped

My Navien keeps at 13.7 psi (cold) and bumps up to about 22 psi when the boiler is firing. I'm still confused why your plumber would say that the heating side should somehow match city water pressure. Virtually all systems, if they are tied into city water to auto-feed the heater side, must...
  18. djdavenport

Need help with 3 zone TACO valve heating

Just a guess, but do the thermostats go through a controller? Sometimes there is a priority setting in the controller that will lock out certain zones until the other zones are satisfied and quit calling for heat. It's often times used when you use the boiler for an indirect DWH. If somehow...
  19. djdavenport

This is the combi boiler, correct? Heats both domestic hot water and provides hydronic heating for the house? Just want to make sure we're on the same page. Keep in mind, there are two systems at work. The domestic hot water (DHW) does run at street pressure. You might have a pressure...
  20. djdavenport

I have the same unit. Yes, E351 is low water pressure. Should be up around 12 psi (depending on your house--how many stories, etc.). So, a couple of thoughts. 1.) If the system was properly set to pressure when it was installed, somehow the pressure dropped. It's not unusual for systems to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks