Search results

1. Cakins

Circuit Planning Basics

I'm guessing "non-power-limited fire alarm" = hard wired smoke alarm? :-) So, how can one live up to both parts of the code? My understanding is that everything in a BR must be on an AFCI. Which rule does a person follow when the code seems to be saying 2 conflicting things? I...
  2. Cakins

Circuit Planning Basics

Are you saying heavier than 12 guage to the receptacles? That's not common is it? I had considered maybe a dedicated circuit for sensitive electronics, though I'm not sure I'll do that just due to cost. This isn't my dream home by any stretch. My first house and first refurb. A very small...
  3. Cakins

Circuit Planning Basics

Thanks for the input so far. I think I kind of like the notion of doing the lighting and smokes for the BR's all on one circuit, but possibly doing the BR receptacles on separate circuit(s) to allow the possibility of using at least one of the BR's for an office with enough capacity for...
  4. Cakins

Circuit Planning Basics

So - to clarify what you're saying - your smokes are then also on an AFCI if they are in the BR?
  5. Cakins

Circuit Planning Basics

About to take on rewiring my house in preparation for a panel upgrade which an electrician will do. Local code allows me to do the wiring for the circuits. Been reading a bunch, with a book titled "Wiring a House" as one well referenced book. It's by Rex Cauldwell, a master electrician...
  6. Cakins

First Rough In - Basic Question

This sounds like a good idea, and it's something I pondered on this box. But the box depth leaves very little behind it to allow much of a cross piece to screw it to. What thickness of scrap do you use for that cross framing member? I was able to redo this first box and tighten it up some...
  7. Cakins

Yeah - I think the movement is primarily in the 2 short 2x4 spacers. Not sure exactly what is meant by strapping them, but some sort of horizontal brace seems in order. I'm learning all the framing concepts, terms, etc. as I go too. The whole thing is a great education, really.
  8. Cakins

Switch Placement Advice for Bath Refurb

I'll plead ignorance - I don't understand that term. Does this mean you, too, like Panasonic. Or you don't? :-)
  9. Cakins

So I'm roughing in my first electrical project - my bath refurb. Probably a very simple question I hope. I put in a 2 gang box tonight that will hold a switch and a receptacle. In order to get the box away from the door trim a bit, I stacked 2 2x4 pieces (about 10" long) nailed to the door...
  10. Cakins

I double checked the fan today, and it's approved for use in wet areas. So all is well with the fan. Thanks for the heads up though. I must say, I love this Panasonic Whisper Ceiling fan already, and I've not used it yet. I temporarily hooked it to electricity a couple weeks ago just to...
  11. Cakins

First, thanks for the tips - I definitely want to find out the right way to do each of the things mentioned. I reply below. But my primary question in the original post - which I also want to find out - is regarding the placement of the switch locations themselves. Does anyone have feedback...
  12. Cakins

Doing my first home remodel, working on the bath room right now. I've changed the floorplan from rectangle to L-shaped and would like some input on the switch placement for the various lights and fan that will be part of the updated room. You can see a (not-to-scale) quick sketch of the room...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks