Search results

1. JaCkaL829

Repairing Steam Pipe Return

That’s what I was thinking, and why I couldn’t find anything on it. Thanks!
  2. JaCkaL829

Repairing Steam Pipe Return

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding repairing a black iron 1.5” steam pipe return. What would be the best/easiest way to repair it? One of the pipes that threads into the tee has begun leaking, I’m assuming the pipe corroded since it’s at the lowest section of the steam boiler...
  3. JaCkaL829

WDI Ecoflush B8106S Leaking Water When Flushed

I'm still waiting for the owner to send me pics. The odd part is it's not a regular, constant leak that I can easily trace. It's only when the toilet is flushed, and it's a pressurized leak like it's squirting from somewhere as soon as you flush it. I had a difficult time telling if it was...
  4. JaCkaL829

I will ask the owner to send me some pics. I did take a closeup of the WDI tank and toilet tank. It appears the toilet is a 2 piece American Standard 4098 Glenwall toilet. They said the toilet was about $500 and they had to buy at an actual supply house as opposed to a box store. I’m very...
  5. JaCkaL829

Hello all, I'm trying to help out a friend who had their basement refinished about 3 years ago. They added a small half bathroom, and the 'handyman' instructed them to install a special wall mount toilet. I believe this was done to avoid the labor of building up a platform, or to cut through...
  6. JaCkaL829

Fernco Donut vs No Hub Transition Coupling? Plastic to CI drain

I'm not sure why either, maybe the pipes weren't pitched correctly, or the poor job of the more recent tie in with pvc? Either way it doesn't matter it had to be removed, and luckily the main stack appears to be in good shape, with no signs or smells of damage.
  7. JaCkaL829

Just an update, I’ve been buying a bunch of different small tools, and extra fittings to have on hand when I start. Yesterday, I successfully cut all the old cast iron out with my fathers help. The cast was in incredibly poor shape, and what a relief it’s out. Big take away was the Porter Cable...
  8. JaCkaL829

I’m concerned about that as well. I though the no hub transition couplings that go 4” ci xh, pvc etc. would be adequate. I do think I’ll go to a supply house to pick one up as I’m sure they should have what I need.
  9. JaCkaL829

I understand about the 3" pipe being fine if you calculate the DFUs, as well as knowing people who have 3 baths on an entire 3" drain to the street. I have two connections that concern me with the 3", the first is the horizontal to 45 degree fall as you can see in the pic. I also have to make a...
  10. JaCkaL829

Thank you for the replies! I was leaning towards cutting and using the no hub shielded transition as well. I'm guessing it's OK to use one on a downward slope pipe like that? I also agree about it giving me more 'options' should it go south and the pipe crack or fall apart. I've been on the...
  11. JaCkaL829

Hello all, Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. I have a powder room (toilet and sink) on my first floor that needs all the drain pipes replaced. Luckily the section of my basement isn't finished so the pipes are all exposed. It's the older XH cast iron, and has quite a few large cracks...
  12. JaCkaL829

3" vs 4" drain pipe for half bathroom

Hello all, I have a half bathroom, powder room (toilet, and lavatory) that are on their own seperate branch that tie into the main vertical stack in my basement. The drain for the toilet and lav are mostly old, 4" cast iron that are at the end of their life, cracks throughout the line. I'd like...
  13. JaCkaL829

Cast drain: horizontal to vertical (main stack)

Hello, I have some older cast iron drain pipe I believe 4” that ties into the main vertical stack that need to be replaced due to cracking from within. This only services a toilet and sink for a powder room. I would like to replace with 3” PVC and follow the same path as what’s in there now. I’m...
  14. JaCkaL829

Replacing CI Waste Line, couple questions

Hello, As my title states, I'm looking for some guidance/help with replacing older CI waste lines in my house. I noticed the smell of my wife's shampoo in the basement, and looking at the pipes in my basement (not finished) I noticed my waste lines, primarily the connection into my main stack...
  15. JaCkaL829

Copper Drain Stub Out?

Thank you reach 4 and old timer. After reading what you said, I think I found what I need: a 1/2” to 1/4” slip joint reducer. It’s just the zinc nut and washer. I’m going to do the whole trap in 1.25” for space saving. Looks like the trap arm will fit in the brass stub out and getting sealed by...
  16. JaCkaL829

Copper Drain Stub Out?

I just though about it again, I don't think I can glue the trap arm, so I "believe" I would need to use a p-trap that is hub - hub and just glue a piece of 1.5" pvc to the fip adapter on one side and to the trap from the other side. Than as Terry said, glue a trap adapter for the tailpiece going...
  17. JaCkaL829

Copper Drain Stub Out?

I attached a couple more pics to describe what I did above as to not confuse anyone. The original 1.5" silver plated trap is the first one. From what I read this has different names such as "LA" I guess because it has the cleanout port on the bottom of the trap since you are not going to unscrew...
  18. JaCkaL829

Copper Drain Stub Out?

I took the brass trap home with me. Last night I went to the box store to make some returns and ended up buying the 1.5” male and female adapter (just to see how they fit). The old brass trap screwed into the new male adapter, so wouldn’t the female adapter screw into the existing copper stub...
  19. JaCkaL829

Copper Drain Stub Out?

Hello, Quite some time since I've posted on here, but I've always appreciated and respected all of the member's feedback anytime I've come into a problem, or wanted to look something up plumbing related. Although I'm by no means a plumber, I still enjoy the work, and find it really fascinating...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks