Search results

1. DTAZ

DWV Pipes Failing - Lining Services?

Hi all. First, I am nearly done with my home remodel and just passed my final inspection last week. All new copper/pex/ABS. Two new bathrooms, laundry, WH, softener, kitchen. Full repipe. Thanks everyone for the help. I'll post pictures soon. I have a question for a dear friend who is having...
  2. DTAZ

Sealing SCH 80 PVC threads that leak

Hello all, Anybody run into this problem? I have built a vacuum breaker for an irrigation system and made the above ground parts out of SCH 80 PVC. I've got a leak that won't quit. The short nipples that are available at my irrigation supply company are cast with less taper to the threads...
  3. DTAZ

Mortar or No Mortar - American Standard Cambridge

I am about to set an Americast tub - Cambridge model - and am deciding if I should bed the tub in thinset or minimal expanding foam. American Standard says that it isn't necessary but it sounds a bit hollow to me when standing in it. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
  4. DTAZ

1 psi pressure drop in 24 hours

I have a 1 psi per day pressure loss (a bit less really) on an 90 psi pressure test for bathroom plumbing. I have soaped every joint and fitting, including the shower mixing valve, and do not detect the leak location. I have a sense that one of the temporary nipples, which are threaded into drop...
  5. DTAZ

Shower pan construction and mold problems.

I have a newly built (seven months) shower and during the construction the tile installer applied a paint on membrane over the mortar bed of the shower pan along with the walls just ahead of laying tile. A PVC type liner had already been installed over the pre-slope and flood tested for 24...
  6. DTAZ

Plumbing and flattening a wall for an alcove tub and shower

I am working on a bathroom remodel and need to plumb and flatten an interior brick wall in advance of tub installation and tile prep. The left and right alcove walls are stud construction and will receive cement backer board. The back wall is sound brick but the surface is uneven (concave from...
  7. DTAZ

Tile backer for kitchen back splash?

I am working on a kitchen remodel that will have extensive tile back splash. One wall has tile that runs from the counter top to the ceiling. I had been considering cement board in place of green board for the extra durability though I understand that it's not necessary. As an alternative...
  8. DTAZ

Accidental cut into 1 1/2 inch Iron Pipe Vent

I am channeling for above counter outlets in a kitchen remodel in a 1940 home and accidentally cut into the wall of the iron vent pipe from my kitchen sink. It's 1 1/2 inch galvanized pipe and embedded in the brickwork of the exterior walls. I probably cut a bit less than 1/16 inch and not...
  9. DTAZ

Grounding a Security System Control Panel

Any suggestions for grounding a security system panel? The installation manual for the system I am working on specifies an earth ground with no less than #14 wire. To reach the ground rods for the house will require a 30 foot run of copper line. They also suggest grounding to water pipes but my...
  10. DTAZ

Pressure fluctuation in PEX?

How much daytime to nighttime pressure fluctuation can I expect in a PEX system? I've got about 130 ft of 3/4" under 100 psi test and don't have a sense of how much variation I will see. I'm in Tucson so there's about a 30º swing from day to night... Thanks!
  11. DTAZ

Siemens Whole House Surge Protector

Does anyone have experience with the Siemens FS100 and FS140 surge protectors? I am looking at installing one in a newly rewired panel. Thanks!
  12. DTAZ

Looking for advice on a sub-panel - 60 or 80 amp?

I am remodeling my home and am in the process calculating the load for a sub panel that will supply power to a portion of the house. The house was built in the late 1040s with an addition constructed in the early 70s. There is a contemporary 200amp load center with integrated service entrance on...
  13. DTAZ

Suggestion for no-stop couplings?

Does anyone have any advice for keeping no-stop copper couplings from seizing up on pipe? I find that I can get them to move easily when checking fit but then they seize up after applying flux and sliding them onto one of the pipes to be joined. I can't get them to slide back onto the other half...
  14. DTAZ

Soft Copper in a Wall Cavity

As I understand it, code allows soft copper to be run inside a wall cavity for water lines. I am installing a long a 24' run of 3/4" hot and cold lines to a bathroom remodel. The lines need to travel from a crawl space, then inside a preexisting exterior wall and finally through a brick wall...
  15. DTAZ

1/2 PSI Drop - Gas Line

I am new to the forum. I am plumbing a gas line in black iron and have the system under 15 psi test pressure. The run consists of about 18 ft of 1 inch with an 8 ft branch of 1/2". The system has lost just under 1/2 psi over a 48 hour period. If anyone has suggestions for detecting a leak of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks