Search results

1. DTAZ

DWV Pipes Failing - Lining Services?

Hi all. First, I am nearly done with my home remodel and just passed my final inspection last week. All new copper/pex/ABS. Two new bathrooms, laundry, WH, softener, kitchen. Full repipe. Thanks everyone for the help. I'll post pictures soon. I have a question for a dear friend who is having...
  2. DTAZ

Sealing SCH 80 PVC threads that leak

Hello all, Anybody run into this problem? I have built a vacuum breaker for an irrigation system and made the above ground parts out of SCH 80 PVC. I've got a leak that won't quit. The short nipples that are available at my irrigation supply company are cast with less taper to the threads...
  3. DTAZ

Mortar or No Mortar - American Standard Cambridge

Related question: the apron is shimmed to get the tub level. The resulting a gap between apron and subfloor ranges from 1/32" to 1/8". The apron is supported on 4 shims, one on each end and then two more spaced evenly on 20" intervals. What product is best in the gap that will function as a seal...
  4. DTAZ

Thanks. I bedded it in thinset. That way the ledger is not doing all the work. It's curing now but even the feel of the tub compressing the mortar and the satisfying dull thud of a tap on the bottom inspires much more confidence than that hollow ring they have without support.
  5. DTAZ

I am about to set an Americast tub - Cambridge model - and am deciding if I should bed the tub in thinset or minimal expanding foam. American Standard says that it isn't necessary but it sounds a bit hollow to me when standing in it. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
  6. DTAZ

1 psi pressure drop in 24 hours

It's been under test for a week and it's lost about 8 psi. A drop from 90 to 82. Temperature dropped with the onset of the monsoon rains. From the 100s down to the 70s over the last week.
  7. DTAZ

Shower pan construction and mold problems.

Thanks. Our relative humidity only gets above 60% during the monsoon season and that's only for short periods of time. The rest of the year it hovers in the single digits and teens. The shower is generally dry within an hour.
  8. DTAZ

1 psi pressure drop in 24 hours

I have a 1 psi per day pressure loss (a bit less really) on an 90 psi pressure test for bathroom plumbing. I have soaped every joint and fitting, including the shower mixing valve, and do not detect the leak location. I have a sense that one of the temporary nipples, which are threaded into drop...
  9. DTAZ

So, based on available information, leave it alone for now or pull up tile?
  10. DTAZ

Some images of the shower floor with some closeups of the grout. There is some discoloration but I think that's just water staining from the area where you stand in the shower. The grout does not feel wet after an hour or so.
  11. DTAZ

Yes, the liner is sloped. It's a cloraloy liner on a noble pre-slope. This situation is disheartening because the shower is otherwise bomb proof and the extra layer of waterproofing on the floor was an impulse move. It's the same application as for the walls which is probably not sufficient as a...
  12. DTAZ

For future knowledge, if the pan does become saturated can I simply remove most of the field tile in the pan, remove the brush on membrane and let the pan dry out? I know that my liner is secure so I'd rather take on a fix that's minimally invasive. It's a beautiful tile job and I would want to...
  13. DTAZ

Thanks for the reply. I am very fastidious about always wiping down my shower immediately after use with a cotton cloth and the grout joints were filled with Mapei Flexcolor CQ so the grout is well sealed. All that to say there is never any standing water in the pan following use. The tiles are...
  14. DTAZ

I have a newly built (seven months) shower and during the construction the tile installer applied a paint on membrane over the mortar bed of the shower pan along with the walls just ahead of laying tile. A PVC type liner had already been installed over the pre-slope and flood tested for 24...
  15. DTAZ

Plumbing and flattening a wall for an alcove tub and shower

Thanks but that's not an option. I would lose too much space in the bathroom. I am going with a full mortar bed installation over the brick. It's a more direct way of getting to my end result. I can use cement board on my stud walls.
  16. DTAZ

Old Crane overflow cover & lever, how to remove?

It's likely that the set screw for the handle was lost at some point and corrosion is holding the handle on. I would gently rock the handle (in and out toward the side of the tub) and see if there is any play. It may simply come off with a bit of persistent wiggling. If it's really seized on...
  17. DTAZ

Bathroom Tub and Enclosure - Small Leak? Caulking

It would be good to know what brand of tub surround you have. The trail of dirt is a being created by movement of water. The trail seems to come from what looks like a drain opening. If there is some sort of overlap between the surround and tub along with a channel that directs moisture to the...
  18. DTAZ

Plumbing and flattening a wall for an alcove tub and shower

I am working on a bathroom remodel and need to plumb and flatten an interior brick wall in advance of tub installation and tile prep. The left and right alcove walls are stud construction and will receive cement backer board. The back wall is sound brick but the surface is uneven (concave from...
  19. DTAZ

Tile backer for kitchen back splash?

Thanks for the reply. DenseShield is sold as a tile backer so I would hope that the paper works well with mortar products. I do think that it's probably overkill though.
  20. DTAZ

Tile backer for kitchen back splash?

I am working on a kitchen remodel that will have extensive tile back splash. One wall has tile that runs from the counter top to the ceiling. I had been considering cement board in place of green board for the extra durability though I understand that it's not necessary. As an alternative...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks