Search results

1. Tim Fastle

Drain Pressure tank via the Pressure Relief Valve

I need to replace one of my well pressure tanks (has 2 32 gallon bladder tanks). The tanks are plumbed together before the pressure switch and there is a pressure relief valve but no drain valve. My plan is turn of the well breaker, run my irrigation to run the pressure out of the system and...
  2. Tim Fastle

Boiler Seems to Fire up a bit "strong"?

Our home is about 4300 sf and we have radiant baseboard heating. About 2 years ago we replaced the boiler with a 166,000 btu Weil-McLain, Model # CGa-6PIDN, natural gas. Our prior boiler had a pilot light, this one has an ignitor. We are happy with the unit but one thing has bothered me since it...
  3. Tim Fastle

Evaporative Cooler, Down Discharge vs Side Discharge?

Replacing 2 full house evaporative coolers that are down discharge. Had problems with them leaking air between the roof jack and AC interface and, due to access issues (because the interface is under the unit), it was difficult to address effectively. Am likely going to go with side discharges...
  4. Tim Fastle

Evaporative Cooler Replacement, down draft adding a damper??

I currently have 2 large, fairly tired, Master Cool down draft evaporative coolers on our flat roof. We are getting a new roof (TPO) soon and I plan to replace the evaporative coolers as part of that process. Neither unit has a damper to to actuate or insert for winterization (instead, I...
  5. Tim Fastle

Connecting 10g AWG to GFI receptacle?

I am intending to run some circuits from a subpanel. For voltage drop purposes I will be using 10 gauge AWG. I was getting ready to pick up the GFIC receptacles and it struck me that they likely won't accept 10g AWG (or 10g won't fit correctly). How might I make that connection in a safe...
  6. Tim Fastle

Can I consolidate conduit going into an outdoor sub-panel?

I have an outdoor sub-panel that I am going to add 3 circuits to for various outdoor plugs around our front yard. I have the conduit installed and ran to the panel but would prefer, from an aesthetics perspective, not having 4 different (these 3 plus one existing) runs of conduit running up...
  7. Tim Fastle

Pressure Backflow Preventer

I am installing an irrigation system in our front yard - sprinklers, drip and some faucets. There will be 9 zones - 6 sprinkler and 3 drip irrigation. My question is with regard to the Pressure Backflow Preventer (PVB) location within the system layout. My plan is to plumb it in (12" above the...
  8. Tim Fastle

New Mexico, Converting From Evaporative Home cooling to AC?

We have a 3600 sf home with an attached 700 sf Casita (or guest house) that has radiant floor and baseboard heating (so no air handler) and evaporative cooling. We are considering converting the cooling to AC and would like to see if anyone has any input into IF we should do it and HOW it might...
  9. Tim Fastle

Adding a subpanel for some exterior 120v plugs around yard, 240v panel?

We are on a couple of acres and I want to put some 120v electrical plugs out front for convivence. One to my gate to charge the battery, one for Christmas lights and a couple here and there to plug tools into if and when needed. I will probably run 3 circuits but they will rarely be used and...
  10. Tim Fastle

Changing 240v, 20 amp plug can the conduit acts as the ground?

We recently purchase a lake house with a detached steel building/shop. I want to install a 20am 240v plug for my compressor. There is already a 240v 20amp circuit the prior owner had installed. I don't know what they ran on it but the plug is a 50A crow-foot, the wire is 8 gauge, there are...
  11. Tim Fastle

Understanding AccuPurge Valve and Sand Separator

I just purchased a lake house and am moving stuff in this weekend. The well is fairly new, 5-7 years and the pressure tank and equipment seems to be a fairly clean install. It has an Lakos AP-75 AccuPurge valve and some sort of a sand separator (I assume something like a Lakos Sand Master -...
  12. Tim Fastle

New Boiler Now Doesn't Heat well

I had a leak in the heat exchanger in my old boiler (38 yo Burnham 165,000 BTU gas) and decided to have it replaced. I had an HVAC contractor do it and it was replaced with a 166,00 BTU Weil McClain boiler. A pretty similar boiler with some upgrades - ignitor, digital gauge and slightly...
  13. Tim Fastle

Run away boiler, now cast iron exchanger drips ...

RE: 1979 Burnham P206W, DOE 135000BTU, Natural gas, baseboard water boiler, 4300 sf home, 7 zones services just the heater. So, about 11 months ago I woke up to a knocking and banging sound. I hurried to the mechanical room (inside the house) and found my boiler running and yet the temperature...
  14. Tim Fastle

Adding an outdoor sub panel - wire size, breaker size, ground rod???

Our property is 2 acres. I want to ad a small sub-panel near the front of the property (150 ft from load center) so I can run 3 - 20 amp circuits in order to have access to power in a number of spots for various things (a gate transformer, low voltage lighting, Christmas lights and power when...
  15. Tim Fastle

Activating Pump via low voltage switch input

So, I started this in the water well forum and am now here. Long story short, I need to move my well pressure tank and pressure switch to accommodate a filter, softener and supply after an addition (about 40 feet). At the new location I do not have 24oAC nor incoming wires from the well (those...
  16. Tim Fastle

Alternative way to plumb/operate pressure switch (moving tanks)?

After an addition I have to move my pressure tanks from the garage to the newly added shop (approx 50', all indoors). I am adding a filter and softener and if I leave the pressure tank it is the filter and softener I am adding will be "behind" the pressure tank and have reverse flow to my...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks