Search results

1. go_hercules

Water Heater Vacation Setting vs. Pilot

Good points. I think since relighting is simple, I will just shut it off along with shutting off the water. And does anyone know what "vacation" setting does versus "pilot" ??
  2. go_hercules

Water Heater Vacation Setting vs. Pilot

I might have asked this before but don't remember for sure. If so, I certainly forgot the answer, so here goes. My Bradford White has only a pilot setting, no vacation setting. If I shut the water off to go out of town for a few days, do I just set it to pilot or shut it (and the gas) off...
  3. go_hercules

Eliminate Toilet

I did some more searching and found this: http://www.trapcap.com/ Any thoughts on it?
  4. go_hercules

Eliminate Toilet

Can't take a picture, the toilet is still in place until I decide what to do. What is a flush fit cleanout?
  5. go_hercules

Eliminate Toilet

Yeah, I missed the flush reference !!!!!! That would work but is a little too extreme since I might want to use it again at some point. Right now would just rather have storage space. Was thinking maybe they made some sort of cap that would do what the plug does but just a little more...
  6. go_hercules

Eliminate Toilet

That would probably work. But could you think of anything a little more flush, and finished looking? Thanks.
  7. go_hercules

Eliminate Toilet

I have a toilet in a storeroom off the garage that I don't use and want to eliminate. It is on a concrete slab. The question is what to do with the drain after I get rid of it. Obviously have to trap the sewer gases. Is there something made that replaces the flange and caps it off?
  8. go_hercules

Interesting Expansion Tank Discovery

That's a good cutaway diagram. I think a lot of people assume the diaphragm is like the head of a drum stretched across the middle. Unless the thing gets completely empty of air, I don't think the diaphragm ever gets stretched much at all. The reason I even care about that is that I am...
  9. go_hercules

Good info. The funny thing is, before I ever installed an expansion tank, with my PRV set and working at 60, the highest pressure I ever got was 120 after heating. I figured that was way too high, but I have heard of people with T/P valves releasing, toilets running, etc. because of expansion...
  10. go_hercules

Funny you should mention the 90 psi threshold - in looking at the expansion tank sizing charts, they usually use something like a 40 degree rise in temp from ambient to heated. I would think it is likely usually more. But the more curious thing to me is the charts never tell you what maximum...
  11. go_hercules

Okay, you guys really had me second guessing myself on this one. So, what I did this morning was to completely drain the water heater and refill it so that I would be putting in the maximum amount of heat and expansion. Previously what I had seen was virtually no rise in pressure at all after...
  12. go_hercules

No James, it is not. Like I mentioned above, I did that. The air pressure at that point in time will equalize with the water pressure. In my case, my air pressure is set to 55, when put back into service with a water pressure of 60, the air pressure is now 60. Because the water pressure is...
  13. go_hercules

Then Wayne, what would you expect to see on a water pressure gauge after the heater cycled with an expansion tank in the system, and the PRV set to 60 psi? I would expect 60, I mean that's what it's intended to do. Mine does exactly what it is supposed to, and everyone is in shock.
  14. go_hercules

Wayne, your explanation ONLY applies if the compressibility of the two fluids are equal. In this case, the water, not being compressible will expand when heated, since it's allowed to against the bladder. The air, being compressible, will absorb this expansion. The water pressure will remain...
  15. go_hercules

I give up. I will try one more time. First, let me explain again where my system is at. I can repeatedly take long hot showers, let the water heater reheat with all other water off, and the system pressure never rises above the regulated 60 psi which I have set. I have done this now about a...
  16. go_hercules

I checked the water pressure twice tonight after 2 different long showers were taken and the water heater had cycled completely. Each time, the pressure never rose above 60 psi, which is what the PRV is set at. I would have to say that this method works great. It is very simple. Pre-charge...
  17. go_hercules

That Delcowater link is pretty good, but I see an error that is repeated over and over in articles and explanations. In their diagram called figure 2, they show an expansion tank with 60 psi of air and water. Notice that there is a volume of air, maybe about a quarter of the total volume...
  18. go_hercules

I follow your reasoning, and will check my pressure again several times after the heater runs after showers. I am always willing to experiment to learn something. I do think, however, that it will be repeatable and here is why. Let's say you set the precharge at 60 and the water pressure is...
  19. go_hercules

You're missing the point. All I did was adjusted the air pressure VERY slightly to fine tune it. Now I did this in an unconventional way, but slightly adjusting the air pressure is all I did. And that alone allowed the expansion to take place and be more completely accomodated for by the...
  20. go_hercules

Very good point about the possible pressure gauge discrepancy. Without somehow calibrating the water gauge exactly to the air gauge, my approach bypasses this altogether. The final result is that the system now works exactly as you would expect it to.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks