Search results

1. jak85

Installed an Americast tub with tile surround in a rental unit, cleaning?

I probably should have installed a cast iron, but couldn't deal with the weight. I've read the manufacturer's directions on how to clean and it's basically limited to soap, water, and a soft sponge. I have my doubts about getting tenants to follow these guidelines... I may end up calling the...
  2. jak85

Waste line threaded adapter sticks out too far for escutcheon to cover

The waste line for my pedestal sink is sticking out about 1/2" too far and so a deep style escutcheon doesn't cover it completely leaving a gap at the wall. Can you buy special sized escutcheons or perhaps there is a better way of cover up the 1/2" gap?
  3. jak85

Occasionally hearing water running through vent stack, but no water is running.

I am hearing this running water/sloshing around sound coming from the vent stack, but it only happens for 30 seconds or so and maybe once a day or every other day, pretty irregular. The problem is none of my plumbing fixtures are draining any water into the waste line when this happens, so I...
  4. jak85

Need to replace part of cast iron vent stack in my attic bathroom

So the higher fixture is fine, but the lower one would need one of those air admittance valves? Is there any real concern to be had with the way it is setup now? of course it was like this for decades before and I don't think it ever caused any problems to my knowledge. the stack is 3" and the...
  5. jak85

So what would take a pro less than an hour I have finally finished (I hope). It's actually a good thing that this happened because I got to lower the kitchen waste line to 15" and raise the bathroom waste line to 23". I didn't realize earlier that I would have never gotten a disposal under my...
  6. jak85

Yeah it seems a little ridiculous, I just want to reduce the chances of a leak as much as possible. I was able to still hand tighten the bolt even at 60 foot lbs, so that's what has me a little worried.
  7. jak85

The special fernco wrench is like $80, so I think I'm going to try a DIY torque wrench, measure 1ft down the wrench from the head and apply a 5lb weight hanging from a string at the one foot mark. we'll see how that works. Thanks for the tip.
  8. jak85

I'm off to a good start this morning. Looks like I'm off to buy another coupling. Thanks for the quick reply.
  9. jak85

I'm back at it this weekend. I've installed the coupling and am getting ready to leak test it, but I'm a little concerned about overtightening. I used my torque wrench set a 60ftlbs but the bolt/screw portion if the hose clamp started to lean outwards once I got close to the 60# mark. The tops...
  10. jak85

The 4 inches of pipe I have in that picture above is sticking out of the hub of an elbow. I figure I just need to get the plug at least a few inches down the pipe, enough to hold some water above it to check for leaks. I am mainly concerned with testing the CI side of the coupling, so I intend...
  11. jak85

I'm trying to find a cheap plug, any idea if this would work? http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-in-Single-Size-Test-Ball-Plug-270032/100160348
  12. jak85

Is there a preferred method of testing these fittings for leaks other than "wait and see"? I was thinking I might get one of those inflatable pipe plugs so that I can have a small pool of water sitting on the fitting and see if any leaks out, however the inside of my CI pipe is rough and I don't...
  13. jak85

How vital is it that the inner middle lip of the no hub coupling sit flat on the top of the CI pipe? my cut is off level by about 3/16" and so the lip does not touch all of the CI pipe.
  14. jak85

I've removed the old cast iron from the area dj2 suggested, couldn't get the chain around the pipe without removing the framing so I just used a diamond saws-all blade. The cut is pretty smooth, but a little uneven. The CI pipe is a little uneven at the seams, it appears shifted about 1/16" in...
  15. jak85

I noticed some rusting on the undersides of both waste lines and decided to replace them with PVC, unfortunately they ended up breaking under the torque of my pipe wrench. The male thread is broke off inside the female thread of the drain T, but I'm not sure that there's even much thread left on...
  16. jak85

Extending cast iron drain line for pedestal sink

It's actually 23" to center of drain on the homedepot.com pdf sheet for this model, but then kohler.com shows it being 20.5" for the same model.
  17. jak85

That's what I was thinking, but why do you think they call for a 25" height in the instructions? I haven't seen the pedestal in person because it's only available online, but the schematic shows a completely open design on the back.
  18. jak85

I'm not too familiar with autovents, all my drain lines run to the main 4" cast iron vent stack (seen on the far right of the picture), would that not be good enough for ventilation? Also, since the back of the pedestal is completely opened from the bottom up, does the drain pipe height matter...
  19. jak85

The drain line for my bathroom sink is 14.5" off the floor, roughly 20" from the center of the toilet flange and about 30" to the door on the left. Since I've changed the bathroom door to an outswing, I'd like to move the sink over maybe 4-6" so there is more room between the sink and the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks