Search results

1. mshandywoman

Odor under kitchen sink

Odor mystery solved OK. The repair guy took off the dishwasher kick plate and found nada. Then I had him put in a new disposal, but the odor was still there. So then he punched a few holes in the sink cabinet floor but didn't see anything nor smell anything. A friend came by later today and...
  2. mshandywoman

Odor under kitchen sink

Someone else also suggested cutting a hole in the cabinet floor and then repairing it just the way you would a drywall repair. And maybe do the same thing to the back panel of the cabinet. But when I was in the crawlspace, right below the cabinet, I couldn't smell anything. The cabinet is...
  3. mshandywoman

Odor under kitchen sink

No, no PineSol or anything else, but thanks for the feedback!
  4. mshandywoman

Odor under kitchen sink

I've decided to replace the disposal tomorrow, so I'll let you know if that's the source of the smell. It's not that expensive to replace and it sounds as if it's time. If that doesn't take care of the smell, then I'll start opening up the cabinet floor and back panel ... Thx!
  5. mshandywoman

Odor under kitchen sink

Thanks! It's a 20-year-old Maytag. I don't know about "wrapping" but it has a thick black (plastic?) band running around the middle of the unit. It's where the discharge hose comes out. I tried to see if that area smells worse than the rest of the cabinet but the overall smell is so bad that I...
  6. mshandywoman

Odor under kitchen sink

There is a very unpleasant smell under my kitchen sink. It smells acrid, something like pet urine or a lemon that has decayed. I've removed everything from the cabinet and cleaned the cabinet with vinegar, baking soda, etc. to no avail. There is no smell in the dishwasher, disposal, or the...
  7. mshandywoman

Toto makes high-pitched noise

Toto toilet noise Terry - Thanks for your note. I did read your posting but decided to ask the plumbing store where I bought the toilet. They suggested buying an entire new valve; I told them about the advice on your web site so I paid $3 for the cap (cheaper than having to drive to my...
  8. mshandywoman

Toto toilet noise Thx for all your suggestions. The plumbing store where I bought my two Totos suggested replacing the entire fill valve and said that's common with "older" Totos. In fact, the first question the parts guy asked was "Is your toilet about 5 years old?" I bought just a...
  9. mshandywoman

Toto toilet noise I contacted Toto because my Drake (about 5 yrs. old) is making a loud, chattering noise when it fills. They emailed instructions (same as you have on the site) for cleaning the fill valve. I went through the procedure twice and it made no difference. The supply line...
  10. mshandywoman

T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Toto toilet noise I have been an enthusiastic supporter of Toto toilets (I replaced two UR low-flow toilets with Totos). However, my older Toto (about 5 years) has started making a really LOUD vibrating noise when it is flushed. I'll phone Toto on Monday when their customer service opens, but...
  11. mshandywoman

Shower making high pitch noise

Thanks, all, for your feedback. I finally phoned Delta and was told the shower head needs to be replaced. They said the whistle doesn't occur when either just cold or just hot water comes out because there is less pressure than when both pipes are being used (that was verified by taking the...
  12. mshandywoman

Thanks, Eric. I cleaned the shower head very carefully. There were only a few small pieces of dirt on the wire mesh screen and those were removed. I didn't see springs anywhere - but can look again. What seems odd, however, is that the whistling doesn't happen when all hot water or all...
  13. mshandywoman

Thx! The "diverter" is just for the shower so I guess it's not really a diverter as much as the hot/cold control. Still, that may be something I can change without too much difficulty. I'll ask at the plumbing store.
  14. mshandywoman

Thx! It might be the diverter. A friend suggested I try changing the water pressure coming into the house. I reduced it an 1/8 turn but didn't notice a difference. I'll try another 1/8 turn to see if that helps. Can the diverter be replaced without replacing the shower head? Looking...
  15. mshandywoman

High-pitched shower noise woes I have the same problem with my shower - again, in only one bathroom and with the same circumstances, i.e., a single handle unit and only when water is being mixed. I cleaned the shower head but the problem is still there. Further, since the problem occurs...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks