Search results

1. Clueless in Charlotte

Intermittent low voltage on one leg

Here's a picture of the bad wire.
  2. Clueless in Charlotte

IT'S FIXED! I called Duke Energy early this morning and restated my case for getting a monitor on the meter. Later in the morning I got a notification email that my Honeywell thermostat was not communicating. It has something called Total Connect that allows you to control the thermostat...
  3. Clueless in Charlotte

I don't know if I have a smart meter or not but I'm using a Sperry multi-meter to read the voltages. When the problem occurs one supply line allows reads good (~125v) and the other supply line always reads low. I left a multi-meter plugged into an outlet on the suspect line so I can check...
  4. Clueless in Charlotte

Thanks - that explains certain aspects of the weirdness. Does everyone agree that if the low voltage condition exists with the main breaker off then the issue is not the circuit breaker panel or house wiring? If the issue is at the meter connection where it feeds to the circuit breaker panel...
  5. Clueless in Charlotte

Thanks - I will try them again. When I got home a while ago they had left a door hanger. They came out today but apparently didn't put a monitor on the meter. The hanger had generic check boxes that stated supply voltage was within normal range and if you have further problems, ... contact an...
  6. Clueless in Charlotte

I do have an IR thermometer so I will see if I can determine anything using that. It's just so intermittent that I don't know when it may happen again. We've been in the house almost 2 years without any issues.
  7. Clueless in Charlotte

It may not be the proper term but I'm using "leg" to mean one of the two 120v supply lines. I have checked it at the connection where the wire attaches to the main breaker and at the bare wire itself. The electrician tightened both supply lines and the neutral line on the main breaker but he...
  8. Clueless in Charlotte

Okay, thanks. That helps to know the problem isn't in the panel or house wiring. A lot of people were telling me it could be a breaker issue but I didn't see how that could have any effect with the main breaker off. Now I know I can look to the power company. Hopefully they will be willing...
  9. Clueless in Charlotte

I probably didn't make it clear but the 2 breakers only tripped one time and the voltage on the suspect leg did not drop in that instance. That is what prompted me to call an electrician. The voltage on the suspect leg has dropped at least 3 times that I know of but does not trip any breakers...
  10. Clueless in Charlotte

The supply wiring is aluminum. The house is new (< 2 years old) and was subject to city building inspections during construction. The builder completed about 100 houses in our section of the development during the last 3 years so I assume they were all build to code with approved panels and...
  11. Clueless in Charlotte

I have recently starting having an intermittent issue with low voltage but only on one 120V leg. My house is 2 years old, on a slab and the incoming power lines are underground. The first time it happened my kitchen overhead lights went out during the day so I thought we had lost all power...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks