Search results

1. Edwardh1

PEX near electric water heater

Maybe old question, my plumber installed PEX close to my new AO smith electric tank heater. Right up to the short nipples that come out the top of the heater. Is that OK? I read this in a 2010 california building code (maybe a draft version): 604.11.2 Water Heater Connections. [Not...
  2. Edwardh1

Electric heater off when you are on travel?

Do you cut the electric water heater breaker off and shut off the water to your house when you go off for a few days or a week? My house water shut off is easy and accessible, breaker is too (of course)
  3. Edwardh1

Any plumbing store ever had models on display to flush?

Read some of the toilet reviews and there were comments on how quiet the toilet was or was not. Has there ever been a toilet store that had a few toilets installed in the display area that you could actually flush to see the noise level bowl wetting etc? seems if you had 4 or 5 most popular...
  4. Edwardh1

Package heat pump vs gas pack -costs vs each other to buy

if your house has a 3 ton gas pack ( a package unit in the yard that has a gas furnace in it and a electric air conditioner) which is the cheaper to buy ? or are they about the same . Not to operate but to buy? if the heat exchanger in the gas pack dies can you replace just that?
  5. Edwardh1

Are kitchen sink "tailpieces" standard

we are looking to rennovate moms 1957 home, it has a double side porcelain kitchen sink, the metal pieces (what are they called? its the piece that you would put the stopper into) (Basket) that are where the water drains out at sink bottom where it connects to the undersink plumbing both look...
  6. Edwardh1

stop valve hard to close

Moms house. Toilet stop valve is hard to close. It wont turn. a pro plumber replaced the wax ring 6 months ago so I know the valve will open/close. I am cautious , I want to turn the water off, as house unoccupied for a while. Should I try a channel lock plyer on the oval stop valve "head" or...
  7. Edwardh1

is there a TOTO for dummys?

for a company that otherwise has it together , do they have too many choices in toilet types? . like the flush system choices on the product page what? 7 choices or more dual cyclone g max etc etc If I buy one are there a top one two or three to choose from? Id want long bowl, 14 0r 15 inch...
  8. Edwardh1

are US toilet makers asleep?

Made a tour of relatives houses this week , stayed a few nites with each. 1. son has a mid 90s mc mansion house - it has kohler toilers with a round bowl water outlet that clogs over 1/2 the time , his house has 5 of them - he hates them. 2. motel had a crane, had an odd inner bowl skirt from...
  9. Edwardh1

vacant house, water off or on

family disagreement. situation: mom is sick in hospital, house vacant. may be vacant for a month or two , 1958 house 1 story, plaster walls hardwood floors.copper pipe from 1958. water heater in garage.warm climate. sometime people in house only once every 4 or 5 days. I want to cut the water...
  10. Edwardh1

Wall Hung Toilet in France, brand

went to France , the hotel had a wall hung toilet, it looked new,it had a geberit flush valve, saw another one just like it that had a grohe flush valve, the toilet itself was a duravit brand. performance was truly terrible, flushed water fine but as they say flushing anything else was less...
  11. Edwardh1

Are Toto sales up?

either year to year or as a per cent of replacement market? Odd saw 3 new Toto toilets yesterday - one in a neighbors house - one in a club I am in - one in a small diner all replaced an existing toilet that was probably 10+ years old.
  12. Edwardh1

Ever a test done of wax rings vs other toilet to flange sealers?

Has any plumbing group or manufacturers ever done an impartial test (3rd party test) of wax rings vs other means of sealing the toilet to the closet flange? seems some organization would have?
  13. Edwardh1

what are these called? 1958 amer std toilet hold down bolt caps

the ceramic acorn sized caps that fit over the top (visible) part of the hold down bolts on the toilets floor flange hold down bolts. last plumber broke a few, and looked like he used plumbers putty to "stick" the caps back on. what are they called and can you buy replacement caps in all the...
  14. Edwardh1

Wax ring with or without "funnel"

[I] have seen two youtube videos showing wax ring replacement where the youtube "person", said dont use a wax ring with a funnel on it cause it wont seat in the floor flange and tries to ride up> What do the pros use? The funnel I thing he referrs to is the small usually black horn or water...
  15. Edwardh1

Are pit toilets legal in the US?

after a trip to the "far east" and seeing the use of pit toilets even ceramic one with no toilet paper and no lavatory to wash your hands, , I wondered if they are legal in the US? were they ever used? not counting outhouses?
  16. Edwardh1

best box or pipe to suround water line valve at house?

My mom has a 1958 home and the supply water line comes from the water company box at the street under the ground straight to the house where under the dirt there is a shutoff valve at the foundation , and right above where it enters the house is a water spigot. Same situation at my house, but...
  17. Edwardh1

basic diy sink drain fitting ?

at the bottom of a kitchen sink, where the sink strainer/tailpiece is , and the water drains out, what sealant if any is used between the fitting and the sink and between the drain pipe and the fitting?
  18. Edwardh1

Do the new remote read water meters have a leak tell tale?

Do the new" remote read" water meters have a leak tell tale? I cant find mine, when you rotate and lift the black thing there is no meter face
  19. Edwardh1

Suggestions on cleaning toilet siphon jet opening

mom has a 1957 amer standard toilet that has slow flush, holes around rim are clear, water level ok, - coathanger used on them, etc. the siphon jet (right name?) let loose a lot of deposits when I used the coathanger there. any tips on how best to clean that area ? I put some vinegar in the...
  20. Edwardh1

todays trivia question-

how long does it take an (unused) household tub trap , or sink p trap to evaporate, and lose the seal?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks