Search results

1. Temp945

TPR valve discharge piping; code vs reality?

Hi all, I thought I installed my TPR discharge piping properly a few years back, but in reviewing the latest code I'm not sure. My water heater is located next to an exterior wall in a main floor utility room with no floor drain. I am currently discharging via galvanized steel pipe to the...
  2. Temp945

Momentarily high water pressure when first opening a faucet; is my expansion tank operating as designed?

Hi all, Sometimes (but not all the time), when I first open a faucet, the water pressure is momentarily higher than normal for about 3-5 seconds. This short burst of higher pressure is not extreme but is definitely noticeable. Here are a few relevant facts about my system: 1. I have a...
  3. Temp945

Worrisome rusty streaks on exterior of GE Geospring hybrid water heater - what to do?

Hello all, I have a 7-year-old GE Geospring hybrid water heater that has recently acquired some rusty looking streaks on the exterior of the tank. The bottom/pan of the tank appears to have bulged a bit away and I can see some wetness in there. I have indicated that area with red arrows in the...
  4. Temp945

Best fitting for removable connection between vinyl tubing and PVC

Hello all, I installed a dehumidifier that drains through a 3/4" vinyl tube that goes into my air handler closet where there is an existing PVC condensate line. I have attached a photo of what is currently there. As you can see, the existing PVC condensate line has a threaded plug that removes...
  5. Temp945

Is this galvanic corrosion, or just a bad seal?

I replaced my water heater supply lines just over a year ago. I just noticed that there is some corrosion forming around one of the hose joint connections. I've attached a photo below. There is a tiny bit of water leakage at the hose joint - just enough that I can detect moisture with my...
  6. Temp945

Toilets gurgling when showering - partial clog in main line?

Hi all, Last night I was showering and heard a gurgling sound. I figured out that when I ran the shower that both toilets in the "Jack & Jill" (double) bathroom were gulping air from the bowl. When I tried flushing the toilet, it just filled with water and then slowly drained. I believe this...
  7. Temp945

TOTO CeFiONtect on Drake II - can't get it clean!

Hi all, I finished my Jack-and-Jill bathroom remodel a while back (thanks to a lot of help from the good folks on this forum!). I installed two new Toto Drake II toilets. They both have the CeFiONtect bowl coating that is supposed to keep the bowl cleaner, longer. I also installed a...
  8. Temp945

Pop up lav assembly: sealant on threads and/or gasket?

Hi all, I recently installed a couple of new lavatories. Everything went well with no leaks. Since then I have seen a couple of videos where the person uses pipe dope on the threads and/or rubber gasket (circled in red in my attached photo). What is the best practice? Do you use pipe dope on...
  9. Temp945

Ideas for tricky water heater line routing: crawlspace to slab transition

Hi all, I recently swapped out all the old 1960s galvanized steel piping in my crawlspace and replaced with Uponor PEX. Unfortunately, there is a small bit of galvanized remaining that runs from the crawlspace wall into the utility room where the water heater is located. The utility room is on...
  10. Temp945

Major water sediment problem: any idea what these black flakes are?

A flurry of posts today...but this one is by far the most important! So today I installed a water pressure relief tank. I did not have one before and kept the water heater temperature at 120F. I just increased it to 140F after installing the pressure relief tank. After the hybrid heater (GE...
  11. Temp945

Installed new thermal expansion tank & pressure gauge: how did I do?

Hi all, I installed a new thermal expansion tank today as well as a pressure gauge. Does the way I've hooked everything up appear correct to you? Feel free to offer any criticisms which would help me make this install right. A couple things: 1. I intend to replace the galvanized pipe in the...
  12. Temp945

My PRV disappeared! Can the city manage water pressure without PRVs?

Hi all, About 5 years ago I learned that many homes have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) to control the water pressure to the home. At that time I also discovered that my home's PRV was not operating correctly and needed to be replaced. I replaced it without issue. I am now doing some...
  13. Temp945

Amtrol Expansion tank - turbulator does not fit - bad part, or bad instructions?

Hi all, I recently purchased an Amtrol expansion tank. I'm hoping someone familiar with these tanks can help me with a problem I've run into. I purchased model ST5: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Amtrol-140N43-THERM-X-TROL-ST-5-Expansion-Tank-3714000-p Amtrol has a unique (?) part that installs...
  14. Temp945

Tricky bathroom vanity sink & faucet install: how would you do it?

Hi all, I have a tricky situation in a bathroom remodel. The original 1960s design had a small wall-hung sink. I have remodeled and changed the wall-hung sink to a small custom-built vanity with an undermount sink. The countertop is quartz. The vanity and countertop is necessarily small to fit...
  15. Temp945

What is your preferred sink p-trap?

Hi all, I'm installing two new sinks. I ran new PVC pipe to both sink locations. Now I'm deciding on which p-traps to install and am surprised at the wide variety that exist. I know I could just pick one and it would be fine - but I'm curious what those with experience prefer. Chromed brass...
  16. Temp945

Installing a permanent water pressure gauge: any tips?

I need to install an expansion tank at my home (did not have one when I purchased it) and while I'm doing that, I'd also like to permanently install a water pressure gauge. I have a couple of questions for anyone that has done an installation of a water pressure gauge: 1. Any recommendations...
  17. Temp945

Closet flange will not fully insert into soil pipe - solutions?

Hi all, I'm about to set a new toilet on a new soil pipe that I recently installed. I installed my soil pipe about a foot higher than the subfloor so that I could later trim it flush after the finished floor was installed. Last night I cut the soil pipe flush with the finished floor. Now I'm...
  18. Temp945

Slow leak from shower p-trap during leak test

Hi all, Thanks to the kind members of this forum I was able to pass my drain leak test (hydrostatic test) this morning! However, after the inspector left, I noticed a tiny, slow leak at the shower p-trap swivel nut. I have attached a photo which shows the fitting and some drips of water coming...
  19. Temp945

Does the orientation of a supply tee matter for water flow rate?

Hi all, I am installing my shower valve and volume controls and need to use a tee to split the supply after the thermostatic valve to provide service to the shower head and hand shower. Does the orientation of the tee matter if I want the shower head and hand shower to have the same flow rate...
  20. Temp945

Advice on shower valve layout - sketch attached

Hi all, I'm trying to decide on how to lay out my shower valves so that it looks best and functions well. I am aiming for symmetry and minimal bends in the lines. It is a fairly simple setup: (1) Thermostatic valve (2) volume control valves: one for shower head, one for hand shower (1) wall...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks