Search results

1. bhoth

Lowe's is now selling A.O. Smith water heaters, Rebranded Whirlpool

Yes I want to know too. I am now in need of a new 40 gallon natural gas water heater. what is the best bang for the buck?
  2. bhoth

Check valve for gravity hot water re-circulation

I should also mention that the heat is set to Hot on the first WH and Very Hot on the second WH but this should NOT make a difference as long as the check valve is doing it's job.
  3. bhoth

Well the move seems to have resolved the issue of cold mixing with the hot. The hot water in the shower this morning stayed consistent. Thank you so much for all the comments that guided me along the way! Still wondering why switching from the first HW to the second HW made such a difference...
  4. bhoth

Ok the move from the first WH to the 2nd is complete, I do not have have any way of checking temperature before or after this move. See below:
  5. bhoth

Ok my wife says it's the same. So now I am moving the return loop from the bottom of the first WH to the second WH. Should I put back in the heat trap on the hot side of the first WH and the cold side of the second WH? Thank you,
  6. bhoth

I did adjust this about 4 notches clockwise, does not seem to make much difference.
  7. bhoth

I am assuming the bottom of the WH because if I shut off the loop, the shower instantly jumps hotter!
  8. bhoth

The tell tale is the next morning when my wife gets in the shower. So I will know tomorrow morning.
  9. bhoth

The flow on the loop itself is actually very good since I removed the 3 heat traps. I have now modified the check valve with a 90 degree connection so the check valve is level. It was leaning downhill before. See pic below: No it does not float, the ball is actually not a ball, think of it...
  10. bhoth

The difference is the pvc check valve was a rubber hinged pvc flapper valve. The cpvc is a ball valve. I could start by setting the valve straight horizontal. To do that I would have to add another 90 degree ( so from behind the furnace I would come straight out then a 90 degree turn straight...
  11. bhoth

Would not this stop the flow of the gravity fed loop?
  12. bhoth

Sorry I don't know what you mean, please explain.
  13. bhoth

Well with the 3 heat traps removed as mentioned above, the hot water loop works better than ever until we turn on the shower. For some reason it still gets cold water added to the hot when the shower is on. Now what?
  14. bhoth

Ok I just removed the heat trap on both the hot and cold side in the second WH and the hot side on the first WH. It was a super easy job just grabbed it with a pair of needle nose pliers and it pulled right out. Crossing my fingers this does the trick and I am done messing with this!:)
  15. bhoth

See a zoomed out view of both water heaters: See below a closeup: note the comment about the heat traps on both the hot and cold side
  16. bhoth

Can the heat traps on the WH be just unscrewed, or is it not that simple to remove them?
  17. bhoth

The hot water heaters are Bradford White and it does look like there are heat traps on both the hot and cold side of both water heaters. (2 40 gallon connected in serial) Could this be the problem?
  18. bhoth

Ok I have replaced the check valve with the CPVC check valve pictured above and it is doing the same thing again! It's pulling cold water from the bottom of the water heater. I can stop it by simply turning off the ball valve right before it enters the bottom of the water heater. I am really...
  19. bhoth

Ok I just ordered this 3/4 inch CPVC check valve. I hope it works as it was just under $40 with shipping.
  20. bhoth

Actually it's the opposite, the recirculation line works great, but when some one is in the shower then it is pulling cold water from the bottom of the hot water heater. As I said in the first post, I have proven that by simply shutting off the recirculation line by the valve.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks