Search results

1. ChrisBeall

Extendable dishwasher plumbing

I tried this, just holding the hose in my hands. Although it will flex, it will not twist any more than a rigid pipe would. If I coil the hose, then hold one end firm, then try to extend the coil, the free end wants (strongly!) to twist, one full turn for each turn of the original coil. I...
  2. ChrisBeall

Extendable dishwasher plumbing

I'm replacing a dishwasher in my home. Once the new one is in, I'd like to be able to pull it out of the cavity without disconnecting the supply and drain lines so I can test for the source of any leak or do repairs, which seem to require access from the sides of the unit. So I'd like to...
  3. ChrisBeall

New softener runs out of gas early - Fleck 7000SXT settings?

OK, I've reprogrammed the unit per dittohead's recommendations at #13. Since it regenerated, with extra salt, last night, I think I can just go forward from here and watch the results. Got to run out now and pick up some more salt... Thanks to everyone who participated and tried to educate me.
  4. ChrisBeall

As far as I know, the only way to determine this is to sit and watch it during a regeneration, noting when the air check cuts off brine pull. Correct?
  5. ChrisBeall

OK, I read the Inbox suggestions, which created more questions in my mind, most of which are for my general education: 1. You suggest BD = 32 if the injector is violet (which it is). How did you arrive at that? What is the significance of the various injector sizes? BLFC limits the draw...
  6. ChrisBeall

Violet, which agrees with the label value of '00'.
  7. ChrisBeall

I have a question on this. Somewhere I read that 1 lb of salt can remove 6000 grains of hardness under ideal theoretical conditions, but that 4000 was a more realistic number in practice. You're using 3333. Why? I've continued to use 4000 in the calculations below, but I think there's enough...
  8. ChrisBeall

Odd. In all the reading I did, I never came across 'compensated hardness' before. My water company does not report either iron or manganese content. Many years ago we had serious issues with iron, but something changed and I've seen no evidence of it since. So I'll go with a 1.1 multiplier...
  9. ChrisBeall

Um, yes, well that could be an issue. I WAS assuming (or, for some more substantial reason, believed) that the BLFC was .25 gpm. Examination of the sticker on the back of the valve says it is .125, so all of my calculations are way off. Examination of the actual restriction disk shows 3...
  10. ChrisBeall

10" x 54" resin tank 16 lbs gravel 1.5 cu ft CR10 resin Fleck 7000SXT valve 18" x 33" round brine tank Incoming hardness 20 - 21 gpg. 2 adults in household. Community water supply with good pressure. Issue: the softener seems to gradually fall behind. Today I measured hardness of 10 gpg...
  11. ChrisBeall

Hach 5B testing very slow

When i test softened water using the Hach 5B test, the results are almost immediate. When the pink granular material is mixed into the water sample, it dissolves quickly and the water is clear (pink, but completely transparent). When I test hardened water, either from the incoming supply or...
  12. ChrisBeall

Water softner recommendations wanted

Here's a belated follow-up on my original post> First, a BIG thank-you to all the help I got here. Aside from its technical value, it gave me the confidence to go forward into a realm I was pretty uncomfortable with. The system I ended up with, supplied by Abundant Flow Water, and designated...
  13. ChrisBeall

Not being delighted with the system found by the plumber, I did some more online research and came up with: Abundant Flow Water Model 48k-70SXT 48,000 grain (1.5 cuft) 8% resin standard, 10% as an option Fleck 7000SXT valve Round 18 X 33" brine tank as an option 10 x 54" resin tank No mention of...
  14. ChrisBeall

Bannerman, Yeah, I knew the 'or equivalent' wasn't a great idea to put in the specification. And I DID say I wanted gravel, but apparently that was hard to match up with the other requirements, at least locally. Aside from the immediate need for a softener, I'm trying to establish a...
  15. ChrisBeall

I found a local plumber who can do the installation work. He in turn took my specifications: 48,000 grain model for efficiency (1.5 cuft) Gravel bed in resin tank. 8% crosslink resin. Metered regeneration interval. Separate brine tank, so it can be cleaned. Prefer round tank, up to 20"...
  16. ChrisBeall

Brine doesn't suck from tank

Finally, good news! After verifying that the drain flow control was not clogged, blowing on the brine line and getting bubbles in the brine tank, and sucking on the brine line and watching (carefully) the water rise from the tank toward my mouth, I went back to the injector. I removed the...
  17. ChrisBeall

Brine doesn't suck from tank

Don't think that's the case here. The black goop was confined to a very small area just behind the injector throat and the throat itself was clean. I suspect the whole area was packed with grease (contrary to the recommendations I've seen) and some of it collected particulates as they passed...
  18. ChrisBeall

Oops, wrong button... OK, so Clack may not be a viable option, so now I lean toward 7000SXT. And gravel. I'm not worried about programming; I think I've grasped the parameters of the softening process and recycling, and I'm a computer geek. It's the actual connection to the house plumbing...
  19. ChrisBeall

Makes sense to me. Opinions both ways seem to be very strong. I don't mind the extra up-front cost if it improves function.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks