Search results

1. JoeSolbach

Advice new boilers for two apartment home.

I will take it down to at least below the attic floor. In the apartments it's boxed in with built in hutches on one side. Too much work to open the walls up and remove it there and the space isn't of much use.
  2. JoeSolbach

The basement ceiling is bare, no fiberglass insulation between the joists. I've been air sealing the sill plate, and the gaps where the sheathing boards attach to the studs and sill plate. Then I've been cutting pieces of that 2" pink foamboard, fitting it between the studs/joists reasonably...
  3. JoeSolbach

Funny you mentioned cut up cardboard boxes, because that's exactly what they had over some of the open stud bays! Most of it disintegrated when I went to remove it to run new wiring. Some pieces of it dated to the 1940s. Only the center loadbearing wall and the outer walls in the attic have top...
  4. JoeSolbach

I did the calculations using my Dec gas bill, at 861 HDD. I came up with 45,760 btu's for my second floor unit, which seems right but then the small heater on the first floor could be skewing the figure, so I guess it could be a little less than that. I would assume the first floor would...
  5. JoeSolbach

The heater on the first floor is one of those vent free ones that they sell at the big box stores that doesn't vent out sits on a floor stand. A friend loaned it to me to use. The first floor is vacant, and the boiler was leaking very badly between two sections. I just shut it off and drained...
  6. JoeSolbach

Ok, little confused with the math. I just select one billing period, and add up the HDD for each day within the billing period, counting only the first or last read (not both) of the billing cycle? For therms, am I converting the therms used in one day or one month to BTU's? And then am I...
  7. JoeSolbach

Yes, sadly the one plumber, older guy, said he would never install a boiler smaller than 100K per unit, which is what is in here now. I asked him why and he said that you need to support the radiaton there, and these old homes lose so much heat. All of them actually suggested large boilers...
  8. JoeSolbach

Thanks again for the advice. Most of the advice I'm getting from plumbers/hvac guys I've asked seems negative and biased. One guy actually said he won't install anything under 100K btus! Another said your better off converting to forced air, which I'd never do, even though a lot of people...
  9. JoeSolbach

Thanks for the advice, the few plumbers I talked with for advice all insisted on 100K btu's for each unit, which seemed excessive to me. One did offer a mod-con option but yes I was rather shocked at the estimate. That's why I figured two smaller direct vent cast boilers might be a better...
  10. JoeSolbach

In this situation would it make more sense to go with two boilers, one for each unit or just one for the entire building? The rental unit downstairs is just four rooms with one bedroom. I kind of figured on just using one indirect hot water heater for both units. I like the idea of the...
  11. JoeSolbach

Hello everyone, new to this forum and am looking for some advice. Live in a two unit home in Chicago built in 1900. Both units are about 900 sq. ft each, I live on 2nd flr., Both apartments are heated with cast iron radiators. Two boilers, one for each unit. Each one is 100K btu's in, my unit...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks