Search results

1. Standardairconditioner

Ideas for extension cord for freezer?

Agreed, 10 feet is really nothing, loads of folks use thinner cords for longer lengths. 12 gauge is plenty, be generous on the electric tape to 'waterproof' you plug You may want to get your hands on an ammeter, it's possible your freezer's compressor is getting tired, drawing in more current...
  2. Standardairconditioner

Constantly clogging toilet?

If your plumber isn't removing the toilet to unclog it, you may want to invest in a toilet auger. If you feel uncomfortable to purchase/use a toilet auger, you may want to replace the toilet. The toilet reseller/installer will be happy. Go for it, you deserve it.
  3. Standardairconditioner

Complete bathroom remodel

AAV's are band-aids, and best go under sinks, hidden in cabinets, where they can be easily replaced. AAV's do fail, worse is that I have actually seen them hidden in walls. You're already going the whole nine yards here. Don't be afraid to replace as much plumbing as you have exposed with...
  4. Standardairconditioner

Seriously? Concrete on top of a wooden subfloor? I thought it was all on a slab! Ditra Heat this whole sucker all the way. Nothing you do to that will "loosen it". I mean, you could use an oxygen torch on that and melt things up, but you have to actually get your hands on one of those first...
  5. Standardairconditioner

Small extraction pump for emptying sinks, small sumps, toilet tanks?

I don't have space in the van for even the smallest shop vac. I'd rather go back to my big grout sponges and a coffee mug from the client. I've learned that I need any small bilge pump, and implies 12 volt since for marine use. The bilge pump can be submersed in the filthiest of stormy seawater...
  6. Standardairconditioner

Small extraction pump for emptying sinks, small sumps, toilet tanks?

I'm done using a coffee mug and a big grout sponge to remove water. I'm avoiding those "drill pumps" because those involve both me and my two hands to operate. They also appear to be one-time-use devices from poor quality. I'm interested in "12 volt pumps" for submersible, aquariums, ponds...
  7. Standardairconditioner

First of all, great pics. Too many post here without pics and leaves everyone guessing. With the amount of gutting/retrofit you are doing, you might as well go the whole nine yards and Schluter Kerdi Board the walls around the tub too, instead of tiling over the existing drywall that we can see...
  8. Standardairconditioner

Replace ABS Closet bend tight space

You're getting a bit too OCD about that, thinking m.c.hammer "ooh u can't touch this". You should be grateful you have a spacious basement below to do whatever you fancy. Most people have to deal with concrete and ground. One can easy demo and make whatever holes they want in the plywood...
  9. Standardairconditioner

60"x40" shower base/pan

"acrylic base" showers have a typical service life of 10-12 years (but I have seem them fail as quick as 3), and a "tile ready" pan like Schluter Kerdi Shower Kit with good tiles and Mapei Kerapoxy CQ will give 50+ years. I don't know if you are a homeowner or a investment landlord, but I'll...
  10. Standardairconditioner

How do I replace this tub drain?

If the threads of the drain have been reliable and leak-free in the past 50 years, it isn't going to come off easily. You should be happy for this, that it hasn't leaked. If you aren't saving the old drain/threads and have plenty of space in the basement to work from, you can easily grind it...
  11. Standardairconditioner

Main Line Clog: what are my best options?

Since there was no pipe damage as the plumber originally thought, I'm curious if sewer jetting would have solved this non-evasively, albiet something nice for 4" and a Briggs&Stratton pressure washer. I've had good results doing this to 1.5" and 2" DWV's with an electric.
  12. Standardairconditioner

WiFi water heater.

One should know that the HD Rheem's write Wi-Fi CAPABLE on the box, it's not included. You still have to buy the WiFi "gadget" for another $150. At least, all the ones here are. Leave that up the homeowner. People buy whatever they want, especially if they have money, and you want folks like...
  13. Standardairconditioner

P Trap to wall stub help

Ikea will give you everything you need that is Ikea proprietary. The rest comes from Lesso/Nibco. There are 2 ways Ikea vanitys install, it depends where the rough is in the wall to it: either like you see in #4, or this here:
  14. Standardairconditioner

AC Compressor is bad Looking at RHEEM or CARRIER

I love your attitude, unfortunately you are from the lesser crowd. EVERYTHING that goes in anything residential grade is made in CHINA. You can thank all those consumer folks that want to pay as absolutely little as possible. Walmart and Sam's Club are getting rich off this. Plenty of HVAC...
  15. Standardairconditioner

Water Spigot Pressure

I would tear off the spigots first, and see if you get good flow from the roughs. Bad spigots are you best case scenario. If the removed spigots still gave poor flow, follow the copper path from the main line to your spigots, be prepared to cut randomly and look inside them, and be able to...
  16. Standardairconditioner

AC Compressor is bad Looking at RHEEM or CARRIER

It's all made in CHINA. Both companies just add their stickers on it. Ask your contractor which one is easier/faster for him to get when it dies.
  17. Standardairconditioner

What to look for in a lav faucet when PSI low

Adding to what Smooky said, you may want a PCA aerator (Pressure Compensating). That's a special kind of aerator that gives constant flow regardless of the water source. For example, if you put a low flow aerator like 1.0gpm, that aerator will only deliver 1.0gpm if you turn your faucet...
  18. Standardairconditioner

Choosing the best Grout for your shower renovation

And what does exterior brick mortar have anything to do with interior grout? Please clarify. Contractors don't like epoxy because it sets fast (30-45min work time) and tough to clean up, but it is the best. Educated homeowners need to specify for it, otherwise contractors won't mention it. If...
  19. Standardairconditioner

Kerdi Flood Test Failure

Worry. Schluter tech support can help tell you what you can save or toss. They can even recommend one of their resellers to come and consult you on your project. No. You did something wrong with the base. Kerdi is waterproof material that does not need waterproofing.
  20. Standardairconditioner

Kerdi Flood Test Failure

Call Kerdi and they can help you minimize what you may need to tear down and replace. Along the way, you will also learn that you did not follow Kerdi's strict install instructions down to the period. When people mis-interpret or omit a step, this is how we get product failure from a bad install.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks